4 Elf / BBPt5 Problems?

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by fredmugs, Dec 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prior2two

prior2two Devotee (400) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

That’s a bummer. It used to be my favorite Christmas party of the year. For the amount of time, effort, and money they’re putting into the free party, it’s crazy that it’s gone downhill so much.

2. Sparty1224

Sparty1224 Zealot (556) Jun 18, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Bump. Just want to do a post-mortem on 4Elf. I remember back in 2012 or so, people camped out from midnight, everything sold out. It was a zoo! Now? Almost no buzz whatsoever. Plus, all the beers getting distro now? I walked into my local mart yesterday and they had 3 of the 4Elf releases just sitting there. And I guarantee that was because they had a ton left over and had to get rid of it. Sad...

3. Junior

Junior Champion (853) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Sad that beers you used to have to wait in line for and were only available one day a year can now be found on supermarket shelves?

Or is the beer not as good as it used to be?

GuyFawkes likes this.
  4. eppie82

eppie82 Poo-Bah (1,778) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

It’s probably the same as it has always been. It’s just that competition has caught up, and the result is lower demand and BBPt5 having to ‘sit’ on shelves a bit. I’d still grab it if I saw it though.

5. Junior

Society Trader

I am perplexed when I hear/see people comment that they are sad or upset that great beer that was hard to acquire is now more readily available.

6. sculls65

sculls65 Aspirant (260) Dec 15, 2008 Michigan

It's all about the secondary and trade values. Have you not learned ? If it's on the shelf it sucks in that world.

7. eppie82

eppie82 Poo-Bah (1,778) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

I’d welcome it sitting on shelves, year round. I’d welcome it as I would BCBS and any number of good stouts that don’t seem to be coveted like they were in the past whether that be because now pastry stouts are the thing, or because there is higher production or whatever. This way I could pick it up whenever I felt like it. Only people interested in maximizing trade value and measuring self worth by what sugar water they posses are the ones who are sad about it sitting on shelves.

8. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Poo-Bah (1,904) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

In fairness to the commenter above, it sounds like the beers being available in distro have more to do with problems at Dark Horse than a huge increase in production. That would be worrisome if it’s a sign brewery you love is in trouble.

9. croush

croush Champion (805) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

And what beers are even available in distro? I thought that BBPt5 and the BourbRum version weren’t even made for 4 Elf or distro yet. I always thought those were the two main beers that people wanted from the party.

10. sculls65

sculls65 Aspirant (260) Dec 15, 2008 Michigan

Bourbon rum maple pt5 . Bourbon barrel coconut vanilla blueberry, Ameretto bourbon Scotty karate, . Couple varaitions of 4 elf I believe.

Sparty1224 likes this.
  11. Sparty93

Sparty93 Initiate (50) Aug 29, 2013 Michigan

I think it has more to do with the selection of available beers. The big 24 hour camp outs were for BAPT5 and variants - beers only available once per year with little/no chance of distro, and one-offs that may never be around again. This time? Who actually wanted to sit out all night in December when the to-go bottle selection was primarily a bunch of spiced Christmas ales?

westlaunboy likes this.
  12. ajcuster89

ajcuster89 Aspirant (206) Apr 14, 2014 Vermont
    Trader

The party in 2017 was a dud as well. I couldn't make it until late in the afternoon and I was worried that the beers would be gone, but everything was still available with limits lifted. Easy in and easy out parking as well. Sounds like it was the same this year, maybe even worse. Didn't even bother going this year.
    DH definitely needs to tighten up their beer lineup and put some money in the taproom. Summer/Fall is great since you can hang outside, but being forced into the dirty, dated taproom in the winter is very unappealing.

ECOBOOSTINST and Junior like this.
  13. Sparty93

Sparty93 Initiate (50) Aug 29, 2013 Michigan

I agree about the taproom - it has a certain dive bar vibe that was cool 10 years ago, but, to me anyway, the industry has shifted away from that. For example, I'm not a social warrior by any means, but the men's bathroom has a ton of "locker room" graffiti that's probably less than acceptable in 2019. Even the outside area, as nice as it can be in good weather, has issues. I'm really not interested to sit there in a super well done patio area, but then stare back at a glorified junk yard of discarded equipment, broken down trucks, and scrap wood.

Junior likes this.
  14. Sparty1224

Trader

Yes and no. The sadness is there because you realize the quality of the beer and/or the hype isn't what it was. A lot of the 4Elf beers I've tried so far this year definitely aren't what they used to be (Maple Ate Elf was horrendous). Some "former-whales" now on shelves actually do make me happy (see CBS, still drinks amazing this year). And you bet your ass I'm buying every BCBS beer if it ever ends up a shelf-turd (here in Michigan that is).

landrewg likes this.
  15. Ace77

Ace77 Initiate (6) Nov 24, 2018 Michigan
    Deactivated

I couldn't attend 4 Elf this year, but did have a friend who went grab five different varieties of bottle releases for me while he was there. A week or so later I did see several of the releases available at a local store. I'm not upset about it at all. I'd MUCH rather have them be available for me to try if I can't make it, or choose not to attend the party. I drink the beer because I enjoy trying new flavors and creations of what's inside the bottle more so than I get off on the exclusivity of it. I'd rather discuss beers with other beer lovers who have tried a beer rather than brag because I got some and he didn't.

Junior, PapaGoose03, craigo19 and 2 others like this.
  16. prior2two

prior2two Devotee (400) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

My feelings is that the deterioration of the 4-Elf party is directly correlated to the ease of which the BBPT5 beer has been available.

When people lined up for it overnight, the party was IMO, the top 2 or 3 beer events of the year, and one I looked forward to every year.

As bbpt5 has become readily available, they seemed to have stopped putting effort into the party itself, which is a total bummer.

I’ll be super happy to not have to drive 200 miles to get bbpt5 - that’s awesome. But I mourn for the party itself.

ajcuster89 and Junior like this.
  17. Junior

Society Trader

We need more people practicing this behavior.

craigo19, PapaGoose03 and Ace77 like this.
  18. Ace77

Ace77 Initiate (6) Nov 24, 2018 Michigan
    Deactivated

I might be crazy, but personally I prefer attending a party that I don't have to camp outside for in December, and then not have it be elbow to elbow while spending more time standing in lines waiting for beer than socializing and drinking the beer. I enjoy going to Dark Horse, their beers, and their parties. For their sake I hope things like this don't get to the point that DH is dissuaded from putting them on, but personally I'm grateful for the balance of being able to enjoy myself and actually get the beers.

craigo19 likes this.
  19. Sparty1224

Trader

Just had my 2nd 4Elf beer from this year: BBA Scotty with Amaretto. Smelled like grapes, likely infected. Disgusting. This brewery is going downhill.

20. jacksonmfan

jacksonmfan Initiate (37) May 6, 2015 Michigan

Seems to be a 4Elf specialty that they release something infected. I remember the last time I ever bought any of the beers from the party maybe 4 years ago they had a whole slew of infected beers. They have had issues for years with this.

21. Willtravelforbeer

Willtravelforbeer Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2013 Michigan

I can’t remember the last time I bought a Dark Horse beer. Maybe 2 years ago?

22. MNPikey

MNPikey Devotee (448) Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

So it's now almost a week into May. Where is BBPt5?

QUOTE="craigo19, post: 6295351, member: 380788"]They posted Bourbon Barrel Plead the Fifth will be released in April.[/QUOTE]

Junior likes this.
  23. vette-ss

vette-ss Initiate (190) Nov 5, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Was wondering the same thing....

24. fredmugs

fredmugs Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

[/QUOTE]

HA! I shut down every Dark Horse social media site. They are dead to me.

Junior likes this.
  25. craigo19

craigo19 Initiate (194) Oct 12, 2009 Michigan

[/QUOTE]
    I am at the brew pub every week because of work, haven't heard any news about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.