47 Hops Spring Sale $4.47/#

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jbakajust1, May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soneast

Soneast Champion (876) May 9, 2008 Wisconsin

I just ordered a few lbs of hops as well. Hoping they're not cheesy, but I supposed at $4.47/lb it's a gamble worth taking.

Eggman20, jricharc and Prep8611 like this.
  2. epk

epk Initiate (165) Jun 10, 2008 New Jersey

That's a bummer to hear, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Prep8611 likes this.
  3. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Initiate (153) Jul 20, 2016 Indiana

Hopefully Honkey just got unlucky with those specific hops. Maybe it was a grower issue or a one time screw-up, rather than a consistent mishandling of all hops by 47Hops. They have a 4.9/5 star rating on Facebook with several reviews, including one supposedly from a relatively well-regarded brewery here in Arizona. Here's hoping.

Soneast likes this.
  4. drink1121

drink1121 Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2009 California

if hops are "cheesy" cant you just use on hot side, as that cheeziness should boil off?

5. epk

Maybe you could get away with using them for bittering early on, but late additions still contribute to flavor and aroma. I wouldn’t want to risk it.

Prep8611 and drink1121 like this.
  6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,569) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Yup, Weedy (@honkey) commented about the quality of their hops:

“They supplied shitty hops, got big quickly, and people stopped buying because their product sucked. It's not really a surprise.”

Hopefully folks who recently purchased the very low priced hops from 47Hops will provide feedback on the quality of the hops they have received.

Cheers!

@jbakajust1 @pweis909 @epk @SFACRKnight

MrOH and Prep8611 like this.
  7. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,964) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Well, that would be disappointing, but it is a risk I considered, and I didn't overextend myself financially (that would have been difficult to do at the homebrew scale, given the prices). They won't go in beer if they smell bad. The biggest disappointment would come with the thought that someone, probably knowingly, sold me bad hops in a marginal effort to compensate for some business loss. But I don't think I'll lose sleep over it.

8. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,065) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

#toogoodtobetrue

9. JackHorzempa

Society

Jason, I guess you will find out?

I noticed that some folks brought up the "cheesy" aspect but hops can be 'off' in other ways beside "cheesy". Add in the complication in that is is not possible to truly predict how a given lot of hops will express themselves in the resulting beer.

I suppose it could be argued that every package of hops that we homebrewers use is a gamble? It is not like I can demand certain hop batches from YCH, Freshops, Hops Direct, etc.

Cheers!

10. makisupapolice14

makisupapolice14 Aspirant (223) Jun 5, 2005 New York

Well if these hops are total shit they will never hear the end of it that's for sure

11. JackHorzempa

Society

According to this thread's title: "47 Hops going out of business".

Assuming this is correct information there will not be anybody at 47hops to ‘hear’ complaints.

Cheers!

@jbakajust1

12. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (300) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

@JackHorzempa agreed whenever we are buying from a hop supplier we are essentially getting leftovers from a whatever spot hops are available to that hop broker.

#52 Prep8611, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
  13. SFACRKnight

Society Trader

Jack, I have dealt with cheesy hops from the LHBS here and it's awful. I've always contended YCH have always been "good" hops from the perspective that I have never had off flavors originate from their hops. The cheesy offenders were sourced from an unknown producer, purchased as a pound, and broken up into single ounces by the LHBS. I reserved to never buy from anyone but YCH again. I recently bought from Hop Head Farms, no off flavors but their descriptors were certainly off the mark. Now this. I expect to make a small extract batch using one hop varietal. If it's off, the remaining hops will go to the trash.

14. JackHorzempa

Society

An El Dorado IPA?

Cheers!

15. SFACRKnight

Society Trader

And probably a blonde ale with the perle.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  16. JackHorzempa

Society

Please let me know how your El Dorado IPA turns out. I have been meaning to brew one but I have yet to get around to it. Hopefully you will have success here and that will provide me the impetus to 'get on the stick' here.

Cheers!

17. SFACRKnight

Society Trader

By the time I have a finished product here this sale may be over. I enjoy el dorado in weldwerks juicy bits and expect to utilize these hops in a modified version of the clone I brewed last year. Citra and el dorado in equal parts.

JackHorzempa and StupidlyBrave like this.
  18. StupidlyBrave

StupidlyBrave Initiate (74) Jan 2, 2009 Pennsylvania

My first attempt with El Dorado was exactly that recipe and I am enjoying my second batch as I type this. I think I was late to the sale, but I purchased some El Dorado today as well as Centennial and Azzaca. The latter is not something I have brewed with before, but it is featured in a local DIPA I enjoy. So I thought it would be worth a small gamble to buy this in bulk.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  19. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (300) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

I’m a massive el dorado fan. Sometimes I like it more than Citra :ducks:

20. pweis909

Society

My El Dorado experience is with the Midwest Gold Dust Kit. Years ago they were doing an all-grain kit deal if you spent X$ and this single hopped kit was among the eligible. I brewed Gold Dust Adjust, using Horizon to bitter, pushing more El Dorado to late additions. It was good, initially. Fruity aromas faded pretty fast. Although I guess to be fair, I generally don't drink IPAs fast enough. I bought some 47Hops El Dorado. Assuming no off-putting aroma, I expect to blend with other hops

Prep8611 likes this.
  21. makisupapolice14

Before I purchased some myself and browsed their Facebook page it didn't appear, from their replys, that they were but who knows. If true I'll revise my statement to say there will be a bunch of bitching amongst all of us haha

22. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,901) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

They are under a Chapter 11 reorganization, so the can come out the other side.

23. Beerswimmer

Beerswimmer Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2013 Texas

I just ordered 2lbs each of Centennial, Mandarina Bavaria and Azacca. Hopefully they aren't cheesy.

24. drink1121

drink1121 Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2009 California

once everyone receives their hops, we should let everyone else know how they taste

25. makisupapolice14

Will do. Wrote an el Dorado mandarina ne pale recipe I'm planning to do. Also debating a huell melon or hallertau Blanc blonde too soon

26. jricharc

jricharc Aspirant (201) Feb 16, 2012 Virginia

I’m planning on making a few DIPAs in the next few months so I’ll let folks know how they work out.

27. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (777) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

I should get mine any day. Will open and get a big wiff. May steep a tea. I'll report back after I vacuum seal the opened packages.

GreenKrusty101 likes this.
  28. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Oregonian buying WA hops? :slight_smile:

jbakajust1 likes this.
  29. riptorn

riptorn Zealot (532) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Placed my order last Thursday and printed the “Order Complete” form in case confirmation wasn’t received by email, which it wasn’t.
    Called them today to ask about tracking information. The lady who answered was polite and said it’s not yet available for my order # and, when it is available, the tracking info will be emailed to address that received the confirmation.
    I didn’t get an email confirmation so she verified my address (per the order). She said they had some email issues last week and she would manually resend it. After a little back ‘n forth emailing, the confirmation came a few minutes ago.

The response to this sale (700+ orders) was way more than they expected, and there’s still a sizable backlog. When pressed for a very general time-frame of when my order might ship (3 days, 3 weeks?) she eventually guessed that “about 2 weeks” might be close but made it clear that she didn’t know and couldn’t say if that would hold.

Great price if the product is good.....don't wanna end up searching for “Limburger Stout” or “Gruyere Grand Cru” recipes.

NiceFly, jbakajust1 and Prep8611 like this.
  30. Mute_Ant_Brew

Mute_Ant_Brew Initiate (0) Mar 28, 2017 Wisconsin

I definitely over ordered a bit on these but I think it's worth the gamble on quality. I will definitely be opening each pound to check the quality and then resealing with a CO2 flush. Will post results.

epk, JackHorzempa and Prep8611 like this.
  31. epk

Finally bought a vacuum sealer just last week, should be in soon. Do you CO2 flush in combination with one? What's the best way to do so? Just hit the inside with CO2, then vacumm seal?

32. JackHorzempa

Society

If you are vacuum sealing it really does not make sense to conduct a flush since the vacuum sealer is removing the gases (e.g., air) from the package prior to the sealing process.

If you flushed the package with CO2 prior to sealing the CO2 will just be removed via the vacuum process.

Cheers!

SFACRKnight and pweis909 like this.
  33. riptorn

Society Trader

If you decide you do want to flush the hop bags (or other stuff) with CO2, this air blow gun has worked well for me...
    https://www.harborfreight.com/air-blow-gun-set-4-pc-68260.html

Dismantling, cleaning and reassembling was relatively simple. You'll of course need the appropriate couplers. I used to have a hodge-podge of industrial and automotive style couplers but am in the process of converting to all industrial. It's been a source of frustration to believe I had enough couplers on hand only to find they didn't mate.
    I have industrial couplers on my CO2 tank and elsewhere,

Consider researching removal of lead from the surface of brass fittings, which can be done with a solution of vinegar (5%) and hydrogen peroxide (3%) at a ratio of 2:1.
    https://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-remove-lead-from-brass-plumbing-fittings

There will undoubtedly be residual gasses after vacuum sealing.
    How much and whether it makes a difference in the grand scheme of things I couldn't say....but if it might help and doesn't hurt and isn't labor intensive I say go for it.

#73 riptorn, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
  34. epk

Thanks guys.

Yeah, that was my thought. Even if you are sucking CO2 out, at least the flush may have served to push some additional o2 out before vacuum sealing. Of course it all could be negligible in the grand scheme of things.

35. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (2,028) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

As much as I hate O2 when it's in places it shouldn't be, my guess is that flushing a bag (not purging, which really wouldn't be practical) with CO2 before vacuum sealing would be unlikely to make a difference.

36. riptorn

Society Trader

I'm curious about what would have caused you to guess that.
    Do you think it might be more effective to interrupt the vacuum process, "flush", vacuum again then seal?
    Maybe insert some oxygen absorbing caps? (just kidding).

jbakajust1 likes this.
  37. pweis909

Society

If you are sealing hops in a flexible bag, just evacuating and sealing does the trick. If storing in a rigid structure, applying a vacuum will only get you so far. Under those circumstances, an initial purge with co3 would help. But my guess is you are using plastic bags

Prep8611 likes this.
  38. jricharc

Anyone get their orders yet?

39. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Initiate (153) Jul 20, 2016 Indiana

Nope. Haven't even received a tracking number or sipping confirmation yet. I know they are swamped with orders, but I hope I can receive mine before the end of next week. I'd like to brew that weekend!

jricharc likes this.
  40. jricharc

I'm with ya, I ordered on 5/10 and got my invoice but no updates since then. I want to brew on Memorial Day weekend for sure!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.