47 Hops Spring Sale $4.47/#

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jbakajust1, May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeyWestGator

KeyWestGator Zealot (559) Jan 21, 2013 Florida
    Trader

I’ve ordered from them a few times and it has been flat rate shipping. It comes in a USPS padded envelope. I thought it was $6 but maybe it was $7 as a few others have said. Or maybe it went up a buck. I think the most I ever ordered at once was 40oz. I’m sure at some poundage, it goes up. This is to the completely opposite corner of the country. Would definitely recommend them.

riptorn likes this.
  2. NorCalKid

NorCalKid Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2018 California

Just got my hops today here in Cali. Ordered May 10th. Came FedEx. Don’t know if I’m gonna order from them again with those shipping speeds. More Beer comes within 3 days(but has $59 minimum for free shipping) and YCH within 7 with a cheap flat fee. However all that said they were rock bottom discounted, so can’t b**** that much. Thanks for the hops @47Hops, faster shipping would be cool though. Left me a little skeptical.

Soneast likes this.
  3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,566) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

From other posts in this thread I do not believe you are alone here.

Cheers!

OntheLambic, NorCalKid and Prep8611 like this.
  4. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Initiate (153) Jul 20, 2016 Indiana

I was imagining that they had contracts with breweries for larger quantities. In other words, it wouldn't be channeled through the web store. I wonder how much of their sales volume is through retail as opposed to distribution/contracts.

5. InkastareBrewingCompany

InkastareBrewingCompany Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2018 Wisconsin

My order is finally moving. Ordered 5/11. Shipped today. Scheduled delivery of 6/6.

I wanted the hops by 6/9, so no harm done...would have been nice to not worry abota that though

6. OntheLambic

OntheLambic Aspirant (257) Jan 9, 2015 Connecticut

I couldn't agree more, I hadn't even heard of 47Hops until this thread was started. In my opinion, they missed a golden opportunity to introduce/endear themselves to the larger homebrewing community (assuming of course they actually cared about that and were not simply looking to clear old inventory).

My order was placed on 5/10 and the hops are expected to arrive on 6/6, almost a month later. I likely would have considered ordering from them again to supplement my purchases from my LHBS if the turn around time was quicker. I can't justify doing so when I can get hops at my LHBS whenever I want with very little hassle and zero concern about quality.

7. Push_the_limits

Push_the_limits Initiate (60) Feb 8, 2018 Antarctica

I really didn't want to make any judgements until I received the hops. Everything else has been great, including the website, ordering process, and that kind lady on the phone. Of course, we were all lured in by the price. Unfortunately, it appears they simply got bogged down in orders and weren't prepared with enough staff to package them all. I am expecting mine to arrive today, and I'm still pretty excited.

Now all they can do is try to make up for the error. They still have a captive audience in this thread and I wonder if even a free expedited shipping offer would be enough to get customers back.

I guess we won't really know how good the hops really are until a brew or two is completed. No bad reviews on the hops yet?

Edit: Their website now says 'check back soon' ....

8. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,964) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Hops were supposed to arrive yesterday, but FedEx seems to have taken a detour with my package and lost two days. Looks like it will be 2 days late, so I won't be brewing with them this weekend. No big deal.

9. Push_the_limits

Here's what it looked like when it arrived. Vacuum-sealed, resealable pouches. I only opened one and it smelled pretty fresh.

[​IMG]

jmdrpi, epk, OntheLambic and 5 others like this.
  10. jricharc

jricharc Aspirant (201) Feb 16, 2012 Virginia

Can’t wait to get mine!!

11. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Mine arrived yesterday, and I came home on my lunch break to get them inside. No need to let them sit at 100° any longer than necessary. I didn't get a special box like @Push_the_limits, just a plain brown box. (Amazing how fast packages get to Antarctica nowadays...) However, the hops themselves looked to be packed well. Assuming they've been stored that way their entire lives and kept cold, I don't imagine we'll be seeing any quality issues due to degradation. As for the actual quality of the leaf hops themselves before they were pelletized, I guess we will have to wait and see after someone brews with them. I'll probably brew next weekend. I have no concerns about the quality at this point.

Prep8611 and NorCalKid like this.
  12. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (300) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

I have no concerns about the quality of the hops at this point either but I will be sticking with yakimavalleyhops.com at this time. Great customer service and fast shipping. It helps to be loyal to a great company to ensure that they will be around for a while.

13. MrOH

MrOH Poo-Bah (1,993) Jul 5, 2010 Malta
    Society

This entire thread seems like it can be summed up thusly:
    You get what you pay for.

jmdrpi, JackHorzempa and Prep8611 like this.
  14. Push_the_limits

I also feel the complexity of risk vs reward here.

riptorn likes this.
  15. InkastareBrewingCompany

16. riptorn

riptorn Zealot (532) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Good to see they're trickling in. Mine were delivered today and they've been off-loaded to the freezer.

Seeing as there haven't been any comments about poor packaging or quality, I'll delay opening any until closer to brew day.....leaving enough time to visit the LHBS if needed.

Push_the_limits likes this.
  17. TooHopTooHandle

TooHopTooHandle Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2016 New York

My hops were also delivered today (ordered 5/10), but I am at work and can not comment yet. I will update later once I get home.

18. thebriansmaude

thebriansmaude Initiate (110) Dec 16, 2016 Canada (AB)
    Trader

Mine are held up at the border :grimacing:

SFACRKnight likes this.
  19. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (8,406) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

My order from 5/19 just shipped.

20. TooHopTooHandle

TooHopTooHandle Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2016 New York

Everything I ordered arrived in resealable vac sealed bags. I'll be brewing this weekend with some of them

Push_the_limits, jricharc and riptorn like this.
  21. Soneast

Soneast Champion (876) May 9, 2008 Wisconsin

Received mine yesterday. Ordered on 5/11. I plan to open them up and vacuum seal them in 4 oz packages tonight after work, so I will let everyone know if they're cheesy or not. Here's hoping. :grimacing:

Eggman20 and JackHorzempa like this.
  22. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (169) Dec 25, 2015 New York

The El Dorado smells ok but you can tell it's aged.

23. InkastareBrewingCompany

Aroma just not as powerful?

24. makisupapolice14

makisupapolice14 Aspirant (223) Jun 5, 2005 New York

Got mine yesterday. Wrote recipes for an el Dorado and mandarina ne ipa, huell melon pale. Never used hallertau Blanc but am thinking of trying it in a blonde. Any ideas? I'll report back as I brew these soon.

Dry hopping a hoppy red with some of the centennials in a few days too

25. jricharc

jricharc Aspirant (201) Feb 16, 2012 Virginia

Got mine yesterday almost exactly one month later but it is what it is. I will brew with them and see how they turn out.

26. JackHorzempa

Society

What are you seeing (or smelling) here?

Cheers!

@SFACRKnight

27. JackHorzempa

Society

Maybe I missed it but did you ever get an answer to your query (re: 1 year vs. 3-5 years)?

Did @47Hops reply in a PM?

Cheers!

riptorn likes this.
  28. riptorn

riptorn Zealot (532) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

The answer to your first question is "no", and therefore the answer to your second.
    @47Hops was last here on May 18 (one day after he joined). Maybe he doesn't have email notification set to notify him when quoted, mentioned, etc.?

Without an answer from the source I'll continue to wonder whether the wording of one or the other is an oversight, or a reference to different types of storage.
    If the latter it's possible that both "one" and "3 - 5" could be true. Up to one year "in your freezer" could reasonably be thought of as available to home brewers. Perhaps 3 - 5 years under "proper conditions" refers to an environment primarily available to commercial packers/wholesalers/brokers. For an existing or prospective customer to decipher which of those two storage methods (freezer/proper) applies to the home brewer is confusing, at best.
    It's mildly disappointing that there was no follow up response from @47Hops but I'm not surprised, for two reasons:
    1) the notification settings mentioned earlier, and
    2) it's my gut feeling that the impetus for @47Hops appearance was to clarify and correct the "going out of business" aspect of the thread. The fact that he remained to address a few other points for a while came across (to me) as ancillary.
    Pretty much most of the above is speculation (I am, however, quite certain of the "no" part and my continuing wonderment :slight_smile:).

From the git-go I went in to this eyes wide open and decided before ordering to reserve judgement until I inspect the hops myself....still in that mindset as I type.

PortLargo and JackHorzempa like this.
  29. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (300) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

On a positive note yakima is having a flash sale this Friday! Support good businesses!

MrOH likes this.
  30. StupidlyBrave

StupidlyBrave Initiate (74) Jan 2, 2009 Pennsylvania

Hopefully they won't be "trampled by their own success" as well.

31. epk

epk Initiate (165) Jun 10, 2008 New Jersey

Mine came today as well. Only opened the Huell Melon since I wanted to throw a couple ounces into a keg of Saison. I’d say they smelled more or less as fresh as any other hops I’ve given a whiff. I was excited to pick up the subtle strawberry notes that are advertised with this variety. Never used them before, definitely a unique aroma.

Vacuum sealed the rest up, put them back in the resealable pouch they came in, and tossed them in the freezer.

riptorn likes this.
  32. pweis909

Society

My hops arrived yesterday. I have minor complaints. One of the bags had no label identifying the type of hop or the %AA (complaint 1). By process of elimination, this should be US Fuggles. I emailed the guy who sent me the "By now your hops have arrived; please let me know if you have questions about your order." (His email actually came 12 days before my hops arrived, which was funny, since they should have known the package hadn't shipped yet). No response yet. Any of you get Fuggles? Can you tell me the %AA?

33. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

I had a couple show up without labels as well; however, I found the labels stuck to the bubble wrap inside the box. They were both the same variety, so I was able to connect the dots. If you haven't already thrown it all away, check the packing and see if you can find the labels.

34. Soneast

Ok opened up three of my five 1 lb packages so far. Centennial, Tettnang, and CTZ. They all smelled great. Slight oxidation in the CTZ but nothing I'm too worried about. Of the three one was .5 ounce short, the others were .25 oz short. Not a big deal, but I'm used to getting excess from Yakima lol.

JackHorzempa and PortLargo like this.
  35. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

That's a bit disappointing. I was hoping to get a full 20 ounce pound like I do from HopsDirect... or a pound, anyway. Still a steal, but lots of caveats with this whole ordeal.

Soneast and riptorn like this.
  36. pweis909

Society

Hey, good call! I had another look and found it stuck to the bubble wrap. Now I wonder, did they put the right labels on the bags...? Hopefully I'll find no cause to revisit this fear.

Well, if it is good brewing weather this weekend, I'll forego the local beerfest and brew something English. With some US Fuggles. Or maybe mystery hop.

37. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (169) Dec 25, 2015 New York

I'm horrible at describing hops but last time i ordered El Dorado they had an intense fruity smell that doesn't leave. After smelling the bag i have, as expected that fruitiness aroma seems to fade. Still a great deal.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  38. brchapman

brchapman Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2014 Georgia

Got my hops as well. Packaged well with a nifty box. I stuck them straight in the freezer so I can not attest to the freshness. This was an opportunistic buy for me as I already have a freezer full of hops. No ragrets....not even a single letter!

39. Soneast

I also ordered El Dorado, and as you describe, very intense fruity aroma. They smell great actually.

40. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,065) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

I didn't pull the trigger on this deal. After getting cheesy hops and unexpected flavor profiles from other vendors I have resigned myself to only purchasing YCH hops.

MrOH likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.