5 day old Yuengling Lager, Am I Imagining this?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Rutgers13, May 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rutgers13

Rutgers13 Initiate (41) Nov 12, 2013 New Jersey

After a round of golf this morning, I stopped by liquor store and they were putting out Yuengling Lager in bottles with a date of 1613931 which is bottled on May 19, 2016. I bought a case and went home and loaded my beer fridge. Just cracked one open and it is noticeably different to me. I compared it to a 50 day old can I had and it is definitely much better.

Am I imagining the difference.

BTW, it is much BETTER 5 days old!!!!!!!!!! I keep some on hand as a cheap golf round beer, but have to admit it is actually pretty good when very fresh.

2. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,922) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Not out of the realm of possibility, but probably unusual. Enjoy!

Davidstan likes this.
  3. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Probably not imagining it.

Highly hopped beers aren't the only ones that change with 6-7 weeks in the bottle or can.

Freshness does matter.

4. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Poo-Bah (1,843) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

Lagers are better fresh, I don't think you're imagining it.

5. Rutgers13

I guess I was an unbeliever. I have been told that lagers are much better fresh, but figured what is the difference between 5, 20, 40 and 60 days. The difference seems very real between 5 and 50 days.

6. drtth

While it's not a lager, every year for several years now I have bought a full case of Troeg's Nugget Nectar. I usually have it in hand about a week after bottling. During the first two weeks it has a bit of "roughness" to the bitterness that I don't particularly care for. At about 2 weeks it hits what I think of as the sweet spot and hangs in that range up to about 6 weeks. After that it slowly loses some of it's "brightness" as the hop bitterness and flavors move into the background.

As a fan of Victory's Prima Pils, which is a lager, I've found much the same type thing, although with a different time span for the sweet spot, etc.

#6 drtth, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
  7. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Poo-Bah (1,843) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

At almost 2 months it doesn't surprise me that It'd be different than 5 days. There definitely is a difference on a lot of beers within the first month or 2.

8. muck1979

muck1979 Initiate (65) Jul 3, 2005 Minnesota

I went to grad school in Columbia, MO back in the mid-00s and at the time A-B had some promotion where they were shipping Budweiser to certain bars in town that had been packaged less than 24 hours before. I'm not sure how it could have made it through distribution that quickly, but hey, the born-on date was correct.

Caveworm and FBarber like this.
  9. IceAce

IceAce Savant (923) Jan 8, 2004 California

Back in the day AB did promotions with 'Born Today' Budweiser which was bottled/kegged shortly after midnight and dispatched to distribs to get to accounts. Say what you want, the beer was noticibly better.

Edit: nice job @muck1979

FBarber and Chaz like this.
  10. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

They had that in NYC back in the day also. I toured the AB brewery VA once the the tasted much better than usual .

11. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (2,969) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

I recieved a 24 pack, cans, last fall. It has dropped off quite a bit since then. So, yes, fresh is better for this beer.

I hope that someday I can get Yuengling here in Minnesota.

12. Rutgers13

Are you saying you have some left from last fall? Holy self-control!!!!!!!!

13. Rutgers13

Just realized it is 6 days old...stinking leap year!

14. Pantalones

Pantalones Devotee (464) Nov 14, 2014 Virginia

Wait, Yuengling has bottling dates?? When did this start? I don't think I've ever been able to find a date on any Yuengling beer I've had so far.

(Also, how do you decipher "1613931" into May 19, 2016? I figure the 16 at the start is probably the year, so is 139 a Julian date "139th day of this year?" And if so, what's the 31 on the end...?)

15. Victory_Sabre1973

Society Trader

Yes, but only because I can't get it here, and have to rely on a mule to bring me some from PA. I don't get it often.

16. Rutgers13

:slight_frown: I live in NJ and our stores are stocked to the ceiling with it. I much prefer it to BMC when I go on the cheap and simple.

#16 Rutgers13, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
    Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  17. Victory_Sabre1973

Society Trader

Yuengling is my gateway beer to the craft beer world, so it holds a special place in my heart.

FBarber likes this.
  18. ceeg

ceeg Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2010 New York

Remember when you could still get Porter, Chesterfield and Premium in returnables? Fresh Yuengling was a good thing.

beerluvr and LuskusDelph like this.
  19. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,803) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

To respond, no, you're not imagining it, fresh is best.

20. misternebbie

misternebbie Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2014 Pennsylvania

The fresher the better

21. BrewsingBuffalo

BrewsingBuffalo Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2015 New York

Yes, in fact, imagining beer is superior when fresher is one of the early signs of schizophrenia.

VABA likes this.
  22. kliend

kliend Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2016 Massachusetts

well most yuengling probably isn't stored in a fridge, so it probably deteriorates quickly being warmed.

23. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,803) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I warm mine after swallowing but I'm particular that way.

I did notice the Yuengling the kids bought last Saturday wasn't as pleasing as the stuff we bought a few months ago when the brand showed up in our market. Checked the can and yes, it was part of the same earlier shipment that was bottled/canned in February. I was the only one who noticed (or perhaps even cared) but that is the difference between a consumer and an enthusiast.

kliend and Victory_Sabre1973 like this.
  24. blivingston1985

blivingston1985 Aspirant (279) Jan 7, 2010 North Carolina

Crush that stuff when I'm in Orlando or Tampa. They have a facility in Tampa so thats what everyone drinks down there. Definitely picked up packs that were 4-5 days out from package date. And yeah, its darn tasty when fresh.

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  25. LuskusDelph

LuskusDelph Initiate (0) May 1, 2008 New Jersey

I remember that well. I still have a few cases of old Yuengling 16oz returnables that I use for homebrew.

In the early '70s the Chesterfield Ale and the Porter were definitely favorites (and the Chesterfield was really especially nice on draft, when you could find it). I never liked the Premium, but when the Traditional Amber was first introduced in the '80s, it was certainly a nice (and very well priced) surprise.
    Even today, when I see the Traditional Amber on draft, I frequently choose it over more local 'craft' stuff.

ceeg, beerluvr and Victory_Sabre1973 like this.
  26. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,514) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Damn, I miss that 1970-80s version of Lord Chesterfield Ale in returnable bottles (when I lived in NYS in the early 80s, we'd occasionally get it in brown bottles - I guess when the brewery couldn't get the green empties back in sufficient quantities and few other brewers were still using the bottle). I don't know what they did with that recipe, but it sure isn't the same beer that it was.

I still remember driving through NE PA over 40 years ago (when Yuengling was a 80k bbl/yr brewery with distro pretty much just that local region), pulling into a drive-thru distributor and seeing a sign for Yuengling Beer-Ale-Porter and asking for a case of Yuengling Ale. The guy corrected me "It's CHESTERFIELD ALE!" ... but it was pretty exciting when I popped the crown off that first green bottle and smelled those hops.

Sad that of all the brands/labels from that era still on the shelves, my 3 favorite US golden ales - Ballantine, McSorley's and Chesterfield - taste nothing like they did a mere 3 decades ago...

#26 jesskidden, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
  27. drtth

Well, since your taste buds have all died off and been replaced with an entirely new set about 4-5 times since then, more has changed than the beer. :-)

28. beerluvr

beerluvr Meyvn (1,232) Jan 2, 2001 Canada (ON)
    Trader

Always had a soft spot for Yuengling, specifically the Porter & Lord Chesterfield Ale. I used to get L.C. in the 12oz. brown stubbie bottles when I lived near New Brunswick NJ in the early 80's. Then I moved to Allentown PA and enjoyed many cases of it in the green returnable bottles. Great beer, especially when fresh.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  29. Vason

Vason Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2008 Ohio

Oddly enough, the reason they stopped doing that was because the average regular Bud drinker thought it tasted worse, or at the very least, didn't like the difference.

30. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (9,728) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Yuengling does extremely well with their niche market. And, without release parties and long lines in Pottsville!! :grimacing:

BBThunderbolt and drtth like this.
  31. The_Snow_Bird

The_Snow_Bird Poo-Bah (1,826) May 7, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Being in next to the brewery in Tampa it's easy to find fresh Yuengling.

blivingston1985 likes this.
  32. Davidstan

Davidstan Aspirant (288) May 24, 2014 Alabama
    Trader

I wont buy it in the green bottle but i do like it in the can.

Harlan_Pepper likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.