5 Month Conditioned Imperial Stout - Bottling Yeast Needed?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by gdkersey, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdkersey

gdkersey Aspirant (221) Mar 6, 2008 Massachusetts

Hey guys,

I brewed an imperial stout back on October 1 2011, and transferred to a secondary for additional conditioning on November 5. The beer has sat in that secondary since and I plan to bottle this upcoming weekend (will be 23 weeks total in fermenters). Would you suggest repitching some yeast for bottling? The original yeast was US-05. Starting gravity was 1.089, and gravity in November was 1.023. I plan to let it sit for another few months before even drinking the first one, so there is no need for a quick carbonation, just looking to get the right amount of carbonation.

Thanks!

2. ericj551

ericj551 Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2004 Alberta (Canada)

I would definitely pitch some more yeast when bottling. Obviously US-05 is perfect since you used it already. I would be sure it rehydrate it first due to the alcohol content.

3. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Aspirant (267) Nov 10, 2010 Virginia

It's cheap insurance to add a little yeast at bottlin'time.

1/2 package of dry yeast is often recommended by BA-sters.
    Jamil sez use 10% of the original amount.

4. LAWbrewing

LAWbrewing Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2010 Wisconsin

I came in here to ask a very similar question. Now that I think I ought to buy such insurance (i.e., pitch more at bottling time) just a couple more on the process:
    1. If calculating 10% of the original amount would be a laughably rough estimate, then 1/2 a pack of dry seems the broad-brush way to go. Is that simply added to the bottling bucket along with the corn sugar solution at racking time?
    2. How much flavor impact should I expect.
    Thanks for the post, OP! And thanks for upcoming answers BA-sters.

5. swhite11

swhite11 Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2008 Washington

I brew a big imperial stout once a year that I usually oak age for 2-3 months. I've always pitched 1/2 pack of T-58 for bottle conditioning. I can't say that it wouldn't condition otherwise, but with an O.G above 1.1 and significant time invested, I just pitch the yeast and call it brew insurance. You could even brew a low grav. wit for the spring and use the rest of the yeast in that. I know you'd probably be underpitching in the wit from a technical standpoint, but I hate to waste yeast and I find that some of the esters produced from a slight underpitch tend to be more pronounced than beers innoculated with a higher yeast cell count. Just my $0.02.

6. swhite11

swhite11 Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2008 Washington

1. That is what I have done with consistent success.
    2. With T-58, I've noticed zero flavor impact. Granted, my experience has been with imperial stout. Other styles
    may "show through" a bit more.

7. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2006 New York

Really? That would mean that you pitched the equivalent of 5 packets of dry yeast into the primary.

No, rehydrate it first.

None.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More