50 Beers from 50 States for Husband's 50th Birthday

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by MNChristine, Jan 2, 2019.

1. MNChristine

MNChristine Initiate (34) Jan 2, 2019 Minnesota
    Trader

Hello......
    I am putting together a gift of at least a beer from each of the 50 states for my husband's 50th birthday in March.
    We live in Minnesota, so I am hoping there are traders out there interested in Minnesota beers!
    I don't know anyone on this site yet, so hoping if you read this, you can include a good trader you know who may be interested in trading for MN beer.
    I have the states of Alaska, PA, Montana, Arizona, Florida, Wyoming and Washington covered to date.
    If you have any other great ideas to include with the beer, I would love to hear your suggestions. Great swag is always good, but this could be spendy covering 50 states.
    Thank you for your help!!
    Cheers

2. MNChristine

Trader

Anyone willing to trade from Alabama? I have been reading Beer Advocate to see who they recommend with the best beer from each state.. Good People Brewing got good ratings.. Any feedback?

3. MNChristine

Trader

and of course I am thinking Hawaii will be tough.. any Hawaiian contacts? Maui Brewing?
    Or is the point of the trade to be surprised?

4. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,327) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Premium Trader

Very nice thing to do for your husband. But this is going to be a massive logistical undertaking to line-up all of these trades not to mention shipping costs.

5. KingKoopah87

KingKoopah87 Initiate (58) Dec 20, 2016 Iowa
    Trader

Kona brewing you should get distro. At least we get it here in Iowa. Same with Anchorage Brewing from Alaska.

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  6. MNChristine

Trader

Yes, but it will bring great happiness...
    There are some states I just can not get beer from here in MN, so I am willing to become a trader--:slight_smile:

7. MNChristine

Trader

Thanks-- I am looking for interesting and great tasting beers, so thinking at times the mass produced beers may not be my first choice-- Do you know ODD MAN RUSH brewery- Eagle River AK? This is the Alaskan beer he will be gifted--

8. MNChristine

Trader

Would you be willing to be my first trade? As you live in New York? Interested in beer from MN? I read through the rules.. but really how does it work? Better to send a Crowler as a can? People are looking for the beer, you may not be able to purchase in the liquor store, but from private breweries, this is why the majority of people trade?

9. jrnyc

Premium Trader

Best would be cans or bottles, crowlers don't have a long shelf life. If you could get some fresh Abrasive, I would trade for a 4 pack of something NYC local. With no trading history, people would want you to ship first. Also, this time of the year is tough, especially where you live, very cold temps could make finding a safe window of time to ship beer that doesn't turn into a slushy could be a problem.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  10. John_M

John_M Moderator (6,253) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Premium Trader

As @jrnyc mentioned, this is going to be a pretty massive and daunting undertaking for you, as some breweries in certain states have very limited distribution. I forget the forums or threads, but you aren't the first person I've seen who was hoping to obtain beer made in all 50 states. I don't believe I've ever seen anyone that said they accomplished it. If memory serves, problem states typically include WV (having lived in Morgantown for a while, I can attest to the difficulties in obtaining craft beer from WV), the Dakotas, NM and certain southern states.

I don't want to be pessimistic and say you can't do it, but it's going to take some time and some work (and money, as shipping costs can be prohibitive if you're trading). It would also be my recommendation that you be willing to "settle" for some mass produced beers from larger breweries if you want to make this happen. Sure, it would be cool if you could obtain some Black Limousine from Kauai Beer Company, but it will be a lot easier and more feasible to obtain some Fire Rock Pale ale from Kona or some Big Swell IPA from Maui brewing.

Seriously though, good luck. This is a very nice birthday gift you have planned for your husband.

11. MNChristine

Trader

I really appreciate your feedback-- The toughest states are what I was looking for .. for sure..
    I do not plan on trading for all 50 states. I have co-workers who are traveling and who will bring back beers as well as friends who live throughout the US. This reduces the costs and logistics. I will update my states received, states needed as I have beers in hand.

12. MNChristine

Trader

It's a trade-- I called and I have some on hold and will pick up tonight after work--
    I have to tell you it has not been that cold this winter, we really have very little snow. It is supposed to warm up end of this week as well-- I will go with UPS as my shipping provider-- Do I send you the tracking #? Can we private message details?.. I did not see this as an option..Many Thanks!!!

13. MNChristine

Trader

I will ask about Kona brewing tonight at the liquor store-- Thank you for your help!!

14. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Initiate (167) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Trader

can help out with some North East states if you want

Beer_Economicus and MNChristine like this.
  15. stevepat

stevepat Devotee (413) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

you will also have an easier time finding people by posting in the ISO:FT forum under the locals. Just post that you are looking for beer from whatever specific states and have minneapolis distro to trade. Best of luck. I have gotten a trade from hawaii so I know those folks are out there too

MNChristine likes this.
  16. jrnyc

Premium Trader

Beer mail sent. Look in the upper right corner of the site for an envelope that should be red.

17. MNChristine

Trader

Thanks! What are you looking for from MN?

18. MNChristine

Trader

I greatly appreciate this-- My husband has a great friend who lives in CT, who I thought I could count on for a beer. Unfortunately he has not responded to me .. He has himself given up drinking beer and now drinks root beer..

19. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Initiate (167) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Trader

I'd be up for anything from your end just let me know what you want off the top of my head can get some CT. NY, MA, RI possible others

20. MNChristine

Trader

!!!!!

21. MNChristine

Trader

Ok it's a trade... I will mail your beer out on Monday..I will visit with my beer guy and choose something good ( I hope good means an IPA to you :slight_smile:) Will you message me your details, ? I will use UPS
    I would love beer from RI, Delaware(? possible) and MA
    Is New Hampshire a possibility for the 4th?
    Thank you so much!!

22. MNChristine

Trader

Could I have NJ and CT? Possible to trade 6?

23. John_M

Premium Trader

24. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,246) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

I can do NJ and Ct
    It might be a good idea to post a list of what states you need.

FYI Delaware should be easy Dogfish Head is everywhere isn't it

25. MNChristine

Trader

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  26. John_M

Premium Trader

That's perfectly OK, and in fact that's what this forum is for. However, actual trade offers should be made in the trading forum (likely under the $4$ section).

MNChristine likes this.
  27. MNChristine

Trader

Really appreciate the clarification, Cheers!

28. MNChristine

Trader

So... I think BA rocks-- I can not believe how many AWESOME beer drinkers there are out there-- Thanks to Taylor @ Good People Brewing in Alabama for introducing me to the idea of a beer trade!
    Here is an update.. Happy Friday!
    In hand I have in a refrigerator in a non-disclosed location...:wink: 3/51 ( as we are including DC!):
    Minnesota <3: Surly: Abrasive Ale Double IPA
    Ohio: Great Lakes Brewery: Edmund Fitzgerald Porter
    Pennsylvania: Yuengling Lager

Promised to date:
    Alabama: Maybe.. this is a hard one... no one is 100% if they can acquire
    Alaska: Odd Man Rush Brewery
    Arizona: .. being driven back to MN Feb
    California: Maybe.. dependent if my boss checked his luggage, will know Wed 1/9/19
    Colorado: being driven back to MN Feb
    Connecticut: Maybe trade with Brutalfarce?
    Delaware: Trade with Brutalfarce
    Florida: being driven back to MN
    Hawaii: I can buy longboard from KONA brewing in MN, good choice?
    Idaho: John Galtl1: maybe Sockeye Brewing, Woodland Empire, a surprise :slight_smile:!
    Iowa: Toppling Goliath
    Maryland: Union Craft Double Duckpin Double IPA from an awesome beer drinker!
    Massachusetts: Trade with Brutalfarce
    Montana: Co-worker
    Nevada: Trade with HappyGuy
    New Hampshire: Trade with Brutalfarce
    New Jersey: Maybe trade with Brutalfarce?
    New Mexico: Promised by a friend
    New York: Trade with jrnyc
    North Carolina: Wicked Weed Freak of Nature Imperial IPA from an awesome beer drinker!
    North Dakota: BIL working on
    Rhode Island: Trade with Brutalfarce
    South Carolina: Westbrook Two Claws American IPA from an awesome beer drinker!
    South Dakota: BIL working on
    Texas: Promised by a friend
    Virginia: Master of Oranges New England IPA from an awesome beer drinker!
    Washington: Maybe co-worker
    West Virginia: Friend working on
    Wisconsin: Co-worker
    Michigan: Co-worker
    District of Columbia: Brau On the Wings of Armageddon Imperial IPA from an awesome beer drinker!

If my spreadsheet and map of the United States ( tried to attach a photo url..but no luck) are correct:
    I am in need of:
    Georgia
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Maine
    Mississippi
    Missouri
    Nebraska
    Oklahoma
    Oregon
    Utah
    Vermont
    Tennessee
    ......and of course a beer never counts unless it is in hand!
    Like you I want something interesting that my husband would enjoy. Beers with coffee or sour are not for him. Probably stay away from the Stouts, as kinda heavy for this large of a sampling..
    54 shipping days until B-Day (not counting weekends)
    Cheers!

Beer_Economicus and John_M like this.
  29. John_M

Premium Trader

Impressive.

I do have a question. Some of the states on your wants list, I'm pretty sure there are breweries that distribute in Mn. For example, I'm fairly sure Deschutes from Oregon distributes in Mn, and I'd be shocked if Rogue doesn't. Also, I have to think you can probably find stuff from Prairie in Mn (they're out of Oklahoma), as well as Abita Brewing from Abita Springs Louisiana (I think Purple Haze is available in every state). Or do you only want to obtain beers from breweries that can't be found locally?

30. MNChristine

Trader

Yes a very good question...mdg164 brought up this very point
    I mentioned I am going to make another sweep with the beer manager at my local liquor store to see what I can purchase here. Beers that can not be found locally was my hope, but being realistic is always a good thing as well.....
    Being a BIG B-day going for the best I can accomplish....

31. jrnyc

Premium Trader

wow, what an effort by you!!! Is the plan to give him all the beers at once? IPAs are best consumed fresh, so factor that in. Either do trades closer to the birthday, or let the birthday begin early and last a long time. He is going to have a lot of beer to consume, it could take months, so you may want to stagger all these trades over months to maximize freshness of the beer.

32. MNChristine

Trader

Yikes !!!! Forgot Arkansas in this list... in my spreadsheet and on my map though--
    I am good with Arkansas thanks to an incredible guy!

33. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,244) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

For some you are in need of, here are a few breweries to double check in case they are available in your local MN stores. Some of these I checked against the France44 website which has state breakdown under the Origin filter.

Illinois: Pipeworks, Off Color, Destihl, Half Acre
    Missouri: Boulevard
    Oklahoma: Prairie Artisan Ales
    Oregon: Deschutes
    Utah: Uinta Brewing

MNChristine likes this.
  34. MNChristine

Trader

I spent some quality time with the beer manager where I live and yes, I can update my needed list. Thank you so much
    I can get Utah: Unita (love the marketing for this beer)
    Oregon, the Deschutes beer we have access to rates.. meh.. at best.... looking for something with a good rating since I know distro is available ( Do you have a favorite?)
    Missouri: I picked up Boulevard (thanks to mdg164 pointing it out) I chose Plaid Habit a Canadian Whiskey Barrel Aged Imperial Brown Ale
    I can get Illinois: Goose Island is available

No luck for Oklahoma.......

I appreciate the breweries you sent, as it gives me something further to look into..
    I don't just want to buy any old beer because it is from a state I need, I would like it to receive good ratings .. and hope it will be something my husband will enjoy...

Cheers!

35. MNChristine

Trader

I am bringing his friend in as a surprise to help him :wink: They will have a three day weekend to attack the gift... :slight_smile:
    I am sure they will spread the word once they find out my surprise and additional friends will come over to enjoy the birthday together. The more the merrier..

I admit I did not know this about IPAs you have helped me not to make a BIG mistake..
    Nothing I dread more is putting time, effort and $ into something to find out I have failed.. Not to mention the embarrassment..

Thanks so much for helping me succeed!

36. MNChristine

Trader

Update after spending time at the liquor store with the beer manager today...
    Missouri now in hand.. purchased Boulevard Brewing: Plaid Habit, an Imperial brown ale aged in Canadian whiskey barrels.. thanks to mdg164

I can purchase Illinois: Goose Island, Utah: Uinta, will do so closer to birthday..

Brutalfarce is looking into Maine and Vermont!

I can purchase Louisiana Abita Springs Purple Haze..but after reading about it, just don't think my husband would like it. Along with Deschutes from Oregon what we have available just seems ....meh..... Any suggestions for these two? Thinking I could ask the liquor store for distro

I am looking to trade...for...
    Georgia
    Indiana
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Nebraska
    Oklahoma
    Mississippi
    Tennessee

37. MNChristine

Trader

I will reach out if my trade doesn't work out for these two states. Thank you so much for your message.

I am still in need of:
    Georgia
    Tennessee
    Indiana
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Nebraska
    Oklahoma
    Mississippi

Cheers!

Supermario79 likes this.
  38. Bruno415

Bruno415 Initiate (82) Dec 18, 2016 Minnesota
    Trader

Just an FYI for you North Dakota has Drecker witch is well worth seeking out..... and also we get it here in MN

brutalfarce likes this.
  39. MNChristine

Trader

Big thanks...I will look into!
    Cheers!

40. ErrFord

ErrFord Initiate (29) Jul 20, 2018 Tennessee
    Trader

I live in Georgia and go to Tennessee every weekend because my family lives there. I’d love to mark those states off your list.