50 of the Best New Breweries

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, May 1, 2018.

1. BeerAdvocate

BeerAdvocate Founders (17,820) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Premium Member

We reach out to our writers, subscribers, and followers to help us build our annual feature on brewery openings. This year, we've also included a number of Canadian breweries. Here are 50 of the most promising newcomers, as chosen by you.

Read the full article: 50 of the Best New Breweries

Daveshek28 likes this.
  2. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,857) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Member Beer Trader

I like this article. I plan to travel in other parts of the Country and this sort of information is useful.

3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,489) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Of the many beers photographed in this article many (most?) were of the murky/turbid/opaque variety.

I suppose the message is if you are going to open a new brewery you better have some Hazy/Juicy Ales as part of your portfolio of beers?

Cheers!

4. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (210) Aug 2, 2017 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Can we already start recommending spots for next year's inevitable list? Some awesome places have opened up rather recently in my opinion

Jkolls likes this.
  5. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (1,523) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania

I absolutely love content like this. Thanks for posting!

6. Big_V

Big_V Zealot (508) Nov 30, 2012 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Got homework to do...

7. Sip404

Sip404 Initiate (168) Feb 27, 2017 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Looks like some new places to hit up. But I will say that I'm pretty skeptical when I see Vasen on something like this.

8. SpinSamzo

SpinSamzo Aspirant (245) Mar 11, 2017 New York
    Beer Trader

I live close to Fifth Hammer Brewing. Great to see them on this list! Their tap room is great and the beers they've been producing have been dope.

9. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (137) Nov 10, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

Cool read! Just hit Lazarus brewing while I was in Austin two weeks ago, they have really solid stuff.

10. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (858) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

11. Todd

Todd Founder (5,491) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

12. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (1,877) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa

I wish I hadn't read this. Now I'll never be able to rest until I've been to Yorkshire Square. :slight_frown:

13. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

14. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Crusader (770) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

True, but happy to see Speciation on this list: Mitch is doing great things

JackHorzempa and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  15. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

He's an awesome dude.

M-Fox24 likes this.
  16. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (268) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

That would seem wise.

17. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,148) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Dan_K, elproducer and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  18. elproducer

elproducer Initiate (17) Apr 19, 2016 California

Also they were open for 5 days in 2016 (Dec 26 open date). Would be kind of hard to make the list a hard start and stop date.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  19. Crim122

Crim122 Aspirant (288) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Traveling to Richmond this weekend. Nice to see a brewery there made it. Will check it out, and they're walking distance from The Veil.

20. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (261) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

I'm friends with a couple who rented a house on that farm for a couple years. Nothing but nice things to say about the owners, and my buddie's homebrew definitely took a big step forward while he was there. Gotta make a point to get up to Silvaticus.

21. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (830) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

How could Yale Terrace Brewing in Crawford NJ not be on this list?

jayrutgers, tobelerone and cavedave like this.
  22. Todd

Todd Founder (5,491) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

1. Did you recommend them last year when we did the call for suggestions?
    2. Looks like they opened in December 2017. That's really not enough time to consider them as one of the best new breweries of 2017.
    3. If you're such a fan, why didn't you add them to the site? (I just did now.)
    4. A quick scan online shows that they're viewed as average.

23. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,637) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire

I look forward to this list each year and have nominated breweries in the past. On this years list I have visited a few (Battery Steele, Lazurus) and have had brews from a few others. All seem to be doing good work!

Has there ever been thought to a follow up article? One that would describe growth, changes, failures, expansion etc. of the breweries that have been on these lists in the past? I think that would be a very interesting read.

24. Keene

Keene Editorial Director (821) Sep 11, 2009 Washington
    Staff

Dancing Gnome officially opened on October 1, 2016. This article concentrated on breweries that opened in 2017, but we added a few from December 2016 because in the past our monthly print schedule prevented us from including spots with a December opening date. But for the record, we're fans of DG and covered the brewery last year.

25. Keene

Staff

Thanks for the suggestion, we'll give it some thought. Cheers!

Bfairhurst74, DBosco and jhavs like this.
  26. smutty33

smutty33 Defender (632) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

While I did not vote, glad to see Counterweight and Fox Farm on this list. Both are cranking out excellent product imo.

Cheers All....

purephase likes this.
  27. DBosco

DBosco Disciple (386) May 1, 2011 Massachusetts

I've never seen or heard of any of these new breweries. Maybe someday but this strikes me as a very obscure selection. It would be nice to see the median distance that these beers get distributed, or am I only going to see them if I visit the brewery?

28. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (6,887) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina

Most, if not all, of the breweries listed here have very limited (if any) distribution but that is not that surprising considering they opened in the calendar year 2017. In many of the states where it is legal, these breweries would be the ones self-distributing.

I'm not sure I would agree that is an obscure selection, they solicited input from BA readers/website users.

Coronaeus likes this.
  29. EyePeeAyBryan

EyePeeAyBryan Crusader (703) Dec 20, 2011 Arizona
    Beer Trader

Outer range, while hidden away in the mountains, continues to pack in the masses around late afternoon and pump out some exceptional brews! I was extremely impressed and I think we've seen just the tip of the iceberg with these fine folks. Revision? Well, hopefully it's just a matter of time before we luckily see these mouth-watering concoctions grace our presence in AZ.

elproducer likes this.
  30. Keene

Staff

These breweries might seem obscure, but that's partially the nature of this annual exercise, to seek out and highlight bright spots around the country from the hundreds and hundreds of breweries that open every year. Add that to the fact that many beer companies are choosing to stay small and concentrate on their local market, and yes, you end up with quite a few places that don't distribute very far but are worth visiting.

Todd, Coronaeus and jhavs like this.
  31. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Crusader (742) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Nice to see Godspeed in the list. Great spot, interesting beers that aren’t conservative or on trend. The Imperial Coffee Lager he brewed for Peche Mortel day was a great homage to his former brewery.

I’ll have to pay more attention to suggesting places. I would have suggested Whitby Ontario’s Little Beasts Brewing which soft opened on October 20th 2017. Really good beer from a talented female head brewer. Also, it would have been funny to see two breweries with the same name (almost) on the list!!

Keene likes this.
  32. s4tk

s4tk Initiate (108) Jan 24, 2014 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Love the format and content of the article! And it’s geographically laid out for potential road trip stops :slight_smile:

Had I heard of Open Outcry (South Chicago) sooner, I may have tossed their name into the jar.

Keene likes this.
  33. jayrutgers

jayrutgers Aspirant (229) Oct 29, 2011 New Jersey

ctrl+f: "New Jersey"

"No results found".

That sounds about right.

34. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (4,769) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Premium Member

For the areas I know about the selections are reasonable and it is an interesting list. there are so many new breweries popping up that there are probably at least 5 or 10 in each state on par with those that made the list. Its a good time to drink beer.

35. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (440) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

For some reason those Barrel Culture beers freak me out with the crazy colors. Esp that one that looks like some sort of blue windshield washer fluid. Might be really good tho.

36. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (6,887) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina

The beers are really good though I think I prefer the ones that are straight berries to get their color.

I know they added some Gatorade to one of the green colored ones to get the color but yeah they are a little weirdly colored.