Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

(512) Whiskey Barrel Aged Double Pecan Porter (2013)

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Lutter, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elNopalero

elNopalero Oct 14, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

I scored one last year and brought it back to CA. Still sitting on it as a reminder of good times in Texas. (Had it on tap at Freetail enough times to know that, at least fresh, it was a winner.) Hoping it holds up because those were some good times!

HoustonZ33 likes this.
  2. HoustonZ33

HoustonZ33 Sep 10, 2012 Texas

I really wanna try some Cascabel Cream Stout, Anybody in Houston still have it on tap (is it in bottles?)

3. Azzy

Azzy Jul 16, 2012 Texas

premium draught has it. Grab a growler!

HoustonZ33 likes this.
  4. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Apr 11, 2012 Texas

You folks need to get off this. They weren't all overcarebed or infected. Some of us have had very positive results from 2012 bottles.

13DegN likes this.
  5. DanzBorin

Petrol had it yesterday.

HoustonZ33 likes this.
  6. lokieman

lokieman Jan 20, 2011 Oklahoma

8 bottles purchased at different locals around Austin and to my knowledge every single one, except the 1 I haven't opened yet, was/is a foamy mess. I'll "get off this" when I witness a bottle opened in front of me and I don't have to watch it regurgitate foam for several minutes...

wsnich, acbe and mattisloco like this.
  7. mattisloco

mattisloco Feb 13, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

Ya I'm with Lokie on this. I believe more were a foamy mess than those mythical bottles that were not. 6 bottlles... 2 blew the roof off, 4 foamers.

wsnich likes this.
  8. DonD

DonD Jun 23, 2008 Texas
    Beer Trader

I have opened 8 bottles and all were overcarbed. Still sitting on a couple more, but not hopeful.

9. UtisTheLaw

UtisTheLaw Jul 26, 2012 Arizona
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Overcarb aside, I just want a chance to buy it in DFW.

10. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Sep 30, 2007 Texas

I got mine last year at twin liquors bee cave road, and, as always, was lucky enough to get a bottle that was ok.

11. wsnich

wsnich Apr 26, 2010 Texas

I've still never seen an uninfected, or normal carbonation, bottle of WBDPP being opened up.

lokieman likes this.
  12. Danielbt

Danielbt May 4, 2012 Texas

That's funny, because every single bottle I've seen opened, including one on Sunday, has been drinkable. Overcarbed, sure, but not the ridiculous exaggeration you claim. Definitely no infection, not even a hint.

You know what fixes overcarbonation? Smaller glass pours and letting it sit for a moment. Tough, I know.

13. lokieman

Did I say it was infected? All I've ever said is that last year's bottles are overcarbed and foamy....how is that a "ridiculous exaggeration"? You just admitted that they are overcarbed, I say they're overcarbed and even the brewery says the same. I'm not really sure what you're attacking here or why you chose to lash out at me when we agree that these bottles have the same issue...overcarbonation.

mattisloco likes this.
  14. lokieman

15. Danielbt

"These bottles are overcarbed."

vs.

"I'll "get off this" when I witness a bottle opened in front of me and I don't have to watch it regurgitate foam for several minutes.."

One is a true statement and one is ridiculous hyperbole that you've repeated ad nauseum. It's tiring.

And no, you didn't claim that there was an infection, and I wasn't trying to say you had. It's been claimed before, in this thread even, and it's possibly even more irritating than constant complaints of overcarbonation. At least the overcarbonation part is true.

16. lokieman

By saying that I've watched bottles regurgitate foam for several minutes all I am doing is giving you a very accurate description of my experience with every bottle I have opened. It sucks to hear negative things about a brewery and a beer you love...trust me I know. I wanted this to be our little Texas whale but they messed it up...every bottle I have opened has had issues and obviously (since I'm not the only one making these claims) others have had the same experience. It's equally as "tiring" to hear people's claims of opening multiple bottles without an overcarbed or foamy bottle...I just can't believe it unless I see it for myself. So no...there was no hyperbole in my post. Again I'll repeat...I'M NOT SURE WHY YOU ARE ARGUING WITH ME. As far as I can tell we agree....

17. kmello69

kmello69 Nov 27, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

I bought 4 bottles. I have one left, although I dont know why I'm waiting to open it. But I've had no issues with the other 3. Fingers crossed that #4 completes the sweep of perfectly acceptable bottles! :)

18. lokieman

I wanna see you open that 4th one then! I'm officially on the hunt for a non-foamy 2012 WBDPP that's not foamy or overcarbonated....

19. DanzBorin

At a bottle share. Opened with zero drama, immediately poured and pic taken in less than a minute.

[​IMG]

13DegN and Clonies720 like this.
  20. mattisloco

Beer Trader

:confused: You lucky... lucky bastard.

lokieman and UHCougar12 like this.
  21. DanzBorin

I have 1 left from same source. :)

22. mattisloco

Beer Trader

[​IMG]

23. GregSVT

GregSVT Jul 1, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

Yeah stop ruining the value of this beer by reporting honest information!!!

24. DanzBorin

I have none to trade.

Plus why are other people's information more honest than mine?

blatherbeard likes this.
  25. Danielbt

That's unpossible! And, yet, strangely familiar.

Odd that.

26. mattisloco

Beer Trader

Well you said people need to get off this. I'm actually still pretty upset about them screwing up the carbonation the two years in a row I've been able to get bottles. (And I believe they've screwed it up in years prior as well) I'm not only upset because the 2 I tried to drink in my house were damn near explosive but I traded one to a guy and his blew. It's an expensive beer to have to clean off of your walls and it's embarrassing to send something like that to a new trading partner.

27. lokieman

Exactly...I spent over $150 on bottles last year. I had it on tap and it was fantastic...then I popped a couple of bottles. I blame 2012 WBDPP for basically ending a trading partnership of mine...

28. GregSVT

GregSVT Jul 1, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

Show me where I said that? You seem to be trying to convince us that other people's information is not honest. I too opened a bottle that gushed after opening and it had been refrigerated for a week prior.

I don't get why you're defending a beer that obviously has had problems going back multiple vintages. You had a good experience with the beer, congrats, but it seems most people had bad bottles.

29. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Mar 12, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

I don't think he was defending as much as pointing out that in his experience..as well as mine, that good bottles exist. I watched someone pop one of these at Freetail La Muerta (I forget who but I think he is a BA) and after cutting off the wax and all that jazz (including tons of shaking) it opened perfectly. Not even a slow gusher.

Yes, bottle variation as extreme as we have seen with this bottling is troubling and would cause me to buy no more than 1 or 2 until reports are made..but I wouldn't forgo purchasing altogether either.

Loki - Sorry you lost a trade partner over a beer but by the time it was shipped there was plenty of reports saying "be wary" and its on you and your partner to communicate and adapt. If the dude couldn't move past an over carbed beer to keep te relationship going then screw him...you'll have no trouble replacing him (me)

Clonies720 and bccocx like this.
  30. DanzBorin

Pretty much my point.

I've seen Commercial Suicide an Jolly Pumkin beers behave the same way. I don't see near the negative feedback.

31. mattisloco

Beer Trader

Commercial Suicide was completely recalled, there was plenty of bitching about it. Jester King still gets crap from people who do not refrigerate long enough.

Commercial Suicide was $8 a bottle, WBDPP was $20 in DFW... Almost 3x the cost and I was able to drink my Commercial Suicides the 1st couple of days after they hit the shelves.

32. DanzBorin

I'll give you that, but JP bottles aren't cheap. One painted the wall of a hotel room I was at.

Looking back on it, it's kind of funny. lol

I might have to video me opening my last WBDPP. I'm sure after all this that it's going to look like hitting oil. :)

blatherbeard likes this.
  33. mattisloco

Beer Trader

This is exactly what my WBDPP's did at my house... One of them anyway, the other was outside.

34. DanzBorin

I freaked out, stopped it with my thumb and ran into the bathroom. I proceeded to remove my thumb by the shower and it decided to paint another wall. Luckily most of it was tile.

35. lokieman

But Jolly Pumpkin isn't a home town/state brewery...and they also bottle extensively. I think those of us that have been burned by (512) bottles up to this point are just wary of spending twenty bucks on their bottles again. They have had issues since day one with their bottles. I'm sure I'm going to spend $150 this year again...but an apology or a refund would have gone a long way. They simply pretended publically that nothing was wrong...no statement on their website acknowledging their error...nothing.

36. lokieman

Actually I shipped right after the release and there was little to no credible info out that the bottles were of questionable carbonation at that point. I know that if some dude decides to stop trading with me even after I explain that I had no knowledge and did nothing wrong knowingly I'm better off...but why was I put in that position? Why can't the bottles just be right and if not can the brewery at least acknowledge their mistake? I think accountability would/will go a long way in quieting the grumbles...

H0rnedFr0gs likes this.
  37. DanzBorin

I thought people on here posted that 512 admitted the over carbonation.

Plus a place that rarely bottles shouldn't be scrutinized as much as one that does (Jolly Pumpkin or whoever else), no?

At least it's not Ranger Creek. ;)

38. mattisloco

Beer Trader

Don't even get me started with those clowns... I got an email about a kickstarter they're trying to get $ for this morning. Bottling line? Bottle this!

JJFoodie and Clonies720 like this.
  39. DanzBorin

Me too, I'm sick of existing businesses pandering via kickstarter. I need to create my own kickstart to see what I can get. lol

JJFoodie likes this.
  40. lokieman

The only confirmation of admission of guilt was a post early in this thread that during a brewery tour they mentioned this year's not having the carb issues like last year. Wouldn't call that a "public admission" of a mistake...just to a few people on a tour doesn't suffice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe