Craft brewers are calling for the boycott of these 14 'imposter' beer brands

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by QuakeAttack, May 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Pooh-Bah (1,999) Mar 19, 2012 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

BigIslandfarmer likes this.
  2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Because as was clearly stated in the linked article: "Here are the 14 brands Brew Studs says fans should "cut off" because of their ties to AB InBev."

Just another discussion about bashing ABI.

Cheers!

3. Jaguar10301

Jaguar10301 Devotee (399) Mar 1, 2010 Maine

CBA doesn't bother me too much and I don't want to hate on all these brands for taking the money.

I suppose it all depends on what happens. In corporate america there are examples of small companies being picked up by bigger ones and either being improved, or left alone to continue how they choose with just the financing.

Of course there are also many examples of the corporations shutting them down, changing them completely, ruining them...

So I guess in each case, if they still make great beer, isn't that what really matters?

Frankly I think nationally and almost even locally theres too much beer, way too many IPA's (which I love but still) and I could just live happily with my local beers without ever buying anything else (not a snobby, buy local attitude, just a fact)

Loops and GrumpyGas like this.
  4. Squire

Squire Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Will tv ads follow?

VABA and DoctorZombies like this.
  5. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Nothing wrong with reminding folks where their money goes when they buy these beers. The breweries shouldn't be ashamed to have folks reminded who owns them.

6. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Grand Pooh-Bah (3,274) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I hate InBev and I'm even sick of these threads.

7. Ranbot

Ranbot Pooh-Bah (2,389) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Business "Insider" :rolling_eyes: must be getting pretty desperate to just regurgitate a beer blog for click-bait.

Tdizzle, FBarber, Loops and 5 others like this.
  8. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Yup, just when I figured the previous anti-ABI thread would be the last thread on this topic another one pops up. It seems to be never-ending!?!:slight_frown:

Cheers!

9. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

I think these articles are very important. My grocery stores and gas stations haven't expanded their shelf space or cooler space in years. 10 barrel finally reached my state this month and it's now everywhere. It's cool some crushable sours are everywhere. But not exactly cool how they got to be on the shelf. Locals still seem to be around. It's really the middle of the pack guys like deschutes and Odell that have lost so much presence. It makes me sad. if you can get past who owns what, options seem like the best we've ever had. But when regional giants are losing out to space dust, four peaks, 10 barrel, and others, it's a scary thought because the perception is that choice is really up to us. These articles are important as they beat a very important dead horse

deanzaZZR, denver10, Lucular and 4 others like this.
  10. Andy1010

Andy1010 Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2016 Indiana

So one day wicked weed taste great then the next day it sucks because of a business decision they made? I like to drink and support local beer as much as the next guy, but I also really enjoy space dust, or a wolf pup every now and then. A lot of these beers, in my opinion, are still craft and very solid brews. If it's good, drink it. I'm not boycotting anyone for accepting a cargo ship full of cash after all the blood, sweat, and tears they put into their brand. Brewery owners deserve to retire too. Just my opinion, rant over. Drink on!

Lonestar9, Tdizzle, raynmoon and 6 others like this.
  11. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

:astonished:Nonsense. Anheuser-Busch bought into Redhook and Widmer in the 1990s ('94 and '97, respectively) and the merger of Redhook and Widmer created CBA in 2008.

#11 jesskidden, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
    Bitterbill, frognot, Loops and 3 others like this.
  12. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Grand Pooh-Bah (3,274) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The implications aren't that we shouldn't support someone who sells out, but that we shouldn't support who it is they sold out to. While your interpretation is valid, it misses the larger implications of InBevs end game here. I also think your opinion of craft is, for lack of a better term, naive.

13. moshea

moshea Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan

Business Insider would lining bird cages if people still read papers.

What a mis leading headline. It should read "One Crank with a blog" rather than "Craft Brewers"

14. ovaltine

ovaltine Grand Pooh-Bah (5,911) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Pretty good beer. Not sure why it's a "summer IPA," but it's pretty good.

[​IMG]

15. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Yes, this Winter the Clydesdales will be moving Wicked Weed and Goose Island into the hinterland.

Squire likes this.
  16. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

Thank you. Well said.

17. BeerPugz

BeerPugz Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2016 Wisconsin

If you like it then drink it. If you don't then, well, don't drink it. More BCBS for me. We're all going to die anyways and all this anti big corp herp derp hipster shite is getting real old. There's worse things happening in the world.

VABA, BeerMeInStl, NickMpls and 4 others like this.
  18. Chipotle

Chipotle Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2017 New York

One of the reasons I like to buy local (not just beer) is because it is better for the local economy. In the case of beer (excuse the pun) as long as the brewery is still employing local folks then the reason for buying local is still beneficial. It's diminished some by the parent company and the profits they skim off, so it can be part of my decision process while deciding on my beer purchase. I guess it's a factor along with price, quality and what I want to drink.

VABA and BBThunderbolt like this.
  19. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yeah, really - where in that article does it discuss "craft brewers" calling for a boycott? It does claim that...
    But gives no evidence or examples or names of the breweries. And what does that even mean - to "cut off beer brands"? How does a brewery "cut off" another brewers' beers?

20. bbtkd

bbtkd Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,326) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Nope, no end to those with a soap-box. I don't like seeing the breweries sell out either, but I don't see how such articles help their cause, and doubt it will do anything to get folks to shun those brands. They did do a good job of calling out some excellent beers that are now AB/InBev, probably doing more to promote them. This article might get literally a couple of people to boycott, at least until they miss one of their favorites that won't change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.