"VALUE" Murk Bombs

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by pinballjj, Nov 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinballjj

pinballjj Initiate (96) Nov 25, 2019 New York

a preface ....I am a cheap bastard and while I like good beers that happen to be pricey and buy plenty of them I can be satisfied with a "damn good" beer that is not that expensive versus an ephemeral" great" that is twice as much .

for a lot of my favorite beer categories , pale ales,ipa(hazies, diipa, tipa, imperial ) stout and porters there are some really solid reasonably priced offerings that everybody knows from the bigger breweries such as SN, founders , oskar ,great lakes etc.

In the murky NE IPA category( I will pick Julius as an example) I have not found too many that are not in the 14$ / 16x 4pack range and above . one I have found is decent is sixpoint( meltdown) $12.99/12 x 6 pack .

choosing and arbitrary $12.99/ (4 or 6 pack) range anyone know of any other "value" neipa murk bombs ??

officerbill and eppCOS like this.
  2. eppCOS

eppCOS Grand Pooh-Bah (4,236) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society

Any in the Oskar Blues can o bliss series work for me. Not sea monkey density but Def hazy-unfiltered. And always reasonably priced. Cheers...

3. nc41

nc41 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Damn that’s tough, the only way that possible is if SN joins the party. There’s nothing here from Burial, Heist , or Resident Culture that is close to your price point. More like 2x that on the high side.

eppCOS likes this.
  4. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

Most quality craft beer + "cheap bastard" = Good Luck

misteil, SFACRKnight, rgordon and 9 others like this.
  5. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Pooh-Bah (2,153) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

You’re in NY, so surely you can get Sloop. Have had 2 or 3 hazy IPAs from them and all have been great. And the price in Central PA for a 6er of 12 oz cans was like $12.

6. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

But to be less "dick-ish" I think your local Sixpoint has some pretty good haze available for you you should be able to get for "cheap"

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  7. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Deschutes puts some out.

SFACRKnight, dcotom and jonphisher like this.
  8. Junior

Junior Pooh-Bah (1,859) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Bell’s Official.

9. BillAfromSoCal

BillAfromSoCal Pooh-Bah (1,841) Aug 24, 2020 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

I like Mike Hess Brewing (San Diego) Hop Cloud hazy at $10-11 for 6x12oz. They make a few other IPAs that I have not tried.

Scotchboy, GetMeAnIPA and eppCOS like this.
  10. Longhorn08

Longhorn08 Savant (1,085) Feb 4, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Clown Shoes Zen Garden 4 pack of 16 oz is in that price range I think.

IMN0P, eppCOS and russpowell like this.
  11. deleted_user_1007501

deleted_user_1007501 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2015

Shit, just brew your own. Make sure you got the flaked oats and proper yeast, just flameout hop that shit to high heaven and dry hop during active fermentation. If you’re not picky I’m sure it’ll turn out alright. For 5 gallons, ~$30 worth of ingredients should give you a bit over a case of 12oz bottles.

12. MNAle

MNAle Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

No one ever seems to mention the Sam Adams New England IPA. ~$14 / 12 pack here.

It's better than the SN Hazy Little Thing, IMO.

pbrian, IMN0P, eppCOS and 3 others like this.
  13. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

But, what are the time and equipment investments? If someone has a nice paying gig, why put all that time that could make real cash, let alone the investments, into making a subpar clone of a thing you can grab at the mini-mart? They could make more on OT. Do you home bake Ho-hos or Twinkies?

14. russpowell

russpowell Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,256) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Both winners. Never see the Sammy here any more

NYRunner likes this.
  15. deleted_user_1007501

deleted_user_1007501 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2015

You really don’t need a serious rig for 5 gallons. For bare bones you just a 6-7 gallon stock pot, a fine mesh strainer, a muslin bag, a rubber/plastic tube, a plastic bucket or two, and swing top bottles. Some of that stuff people should already own.

As for the time investment....yeah, you’ve got a point. But hey, pound for pound it’s worth it. Getting ~40 beers for the price of 2-3 murky 4pks.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  16. nc41

nc41 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

The murk bombs are such hit or miss, the best examples are fabulous, the worst are just a lousy drinking experience. I don’t think there’s anything intrinsically superior to a hazy beer, a well done beer is just that; Well Done.

pbrian, MrOH and Stormfield like this.
  17. spersichilli

spersichilli Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2018 California
    Trader

As someone who homebrews and has won awards for my "murkbombs", it's definitely not that easy. Without the proper procedures and equipment, your case of 12oz bottles will look like dishwater and taste like cardboard. Avoiding oxidation is probably the most important thing for the style. With what you outlined it's pretty much impossible to make good IPAs

Back to OP's question: if you're in NY, Wrench has Sloop Juice Bomb are pretty affordable compared to the $20+ 4 packs from OH right? I'd consider 12-14 per 4 pack affordable for the style

18. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

It is a 'best practice' to avoid oxidation for all brewing of beer but you have a point that Juicy/Hazy IPAs are very sensitive to oxidation.

Do you understand the science/particulars here? Why is the Juicy/Hazy IPA beer style 'extra' sensitive to oxidation?

Cheers!

P.S. I have homebrewed a number of Juicy/Hazy IPAs with the most recent batch being a clone of WeldWerks Juicy/Hazy from the recipe in Zymurgy magazine.

Junior likes this.
  19. spersichilli

spersichilli Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2018 California
    Trader

It's mostly the hop compounds oxidizing which kills their flavor and aroma. Less hop saturated beers are less prone to being extremely diminished due to oxidation. There are some other minor things that can feed into this as well but hop forward beers are always more sensitive to oxidation than malt forward ones

20. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Interestingly I find that 'regular' IPAs are less sensitive to oxidation even when they are hop saturated. For example I recently bottled another batch of my version of Pliny the Elder which I dry hopped with 4+ ounces of hops (equivalent to the hop amounts I used to brew my version WeldWerks Juicy Bits) and my batches of PtE are not as sensitive to oxidation. My theory is that the 'extra' proteins in the Juicy/Hazy IPAs play a role here too but I have yet to locate a technical article providing analytical details.

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.