Objectives and Beer Results (OBRs) for 2021

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Jan 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerAdvocate

BeerAdvocate Admin (4,017) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Pooh-Bah

2. cryptichead

cryptichead Grand Pooh-Bah (3,813) Jul 3, 2014 Illinois
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

@Todd off topic but do you plan to publish another statistical year in review for 2020? Always love reading those and it would be interesting to see the pandemic numbers

Also one of your OBRs should be to hold a minimum number of virtual fests!

3. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm working on breaking down 2020 right now. Hope to publish it within the next week.
    My personal and professional goals often collide when it comes to beer, but fests are already part of my quarterly OKRs.

4. FBarber

FBarber Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,161) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois

Really like the goals - especially the beer reviews. I miss reading the bro's reviews.

5. BourbonForBeer

BourbonForBeer Pundit (866) May 11, 2020 Illinois
    Trader

Been doing it before you said anything. Doing my part and I understand why.

cheers!

Singlefinpin, animal69, IKR and 2 others like this.
  6. EmperorBevis

EmperorBevis Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,244) Sep 25, 2011 England

You know, I've been so focused on the goals of the next three years of getting up to 5000 unique beers tried from 1000 diferent brewers that I have kind of lost sight of becoming a more rounded beer drinker and expanding my knowledge, in the here and now.

The Pandamic has put a lot of obstacles in the way, a living beer history night has been shelved and I've not been able to have the close support that I had with my small scale experiments with brewing from home.

But onwards & upwards I shall endeavour to source and research more about beer history amd also post more on the UK forum board. If it is possible this year, I also plan to visit, add & review more pubs, brewery taps, bars and places that serve beer.

#6 EmperorBevis, Jan 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  7. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Grand Pooh-Bah (3,708) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I need to start getting back into writing reviews, too. I also slacked off on it, almost quit altogether, for a variety of reasons--but just to name one big one, all my reviews started sounding the same. How many times am I going to review a NEIPA and say "tastes like mango, pineapple, orange" etc., over and over before I sound like a broken record? That gets really old.

I also would like to drink more local beers. I know everybody says that, but I really actually should this time. Covid has taught me that supporting local breweries isn't just about drinking beer, it's about keeping friends and neighbors employed during hard times.

8. donspublic

donspublic Grand Pooh-Bah (3,478) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My goals are as follows
    1. Read Todd's weekly beer reviews
    2. Read any content Todd post to the site
    3. Read Todd's lager reviews and the content he post about lager
    So Todd I am really dependent on you to hit up my goals. No pressure here, just sayin.

I don't really make or have goals per say. But I will continue this year as I have in the past and

1. Try to drink more local beer purchased from the brewery when possible.
    2. Over tip when I am somewhere and receive good service
    3. Use my Wok as much as possible

9. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Honored and up for the challenge!

slc666, bmugan, Singlefinpin and 11 others like this.
  10. JLK7299

JLK7299 Pooh-Bah (2,729) Apr 21, 2016 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

In honor of Todd I will try more lagers!

Also get to 215 of the top 250 (at 201 now)

11. BourbonForBeer

Trader

German Lagers are a good place to start. Check out:

Weihenstephan Vitas - Weihenstephan - Germany

it’s amazing!

12. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Grand Pooh-Bah (5,080) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut

Good goal setting article. Ive always been reviewing, but I have made a much more conscious effort to increase my participation in the forums.
    Ive found this rewarding and a nice way to increase the connection to the BA community.
    Really glad to have this site and enjoy making contributions anyway I can.

13. BourbonForBeer

Trader

Try some beers and review away!:grin:

14. EmperorBevis

EmperorBevis Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,244) Sep 25, 2011 England

It’s not being a broken record, it’s a writing style.
    I think beer reviews are great writing exercises, on one hand you can’t just say “looks like beer, smells like beer & tastes like beer” but on the other hand you want to keep it grounded and practical as opposed to a lot of the cliches that were created from wine buffs like freshly cut grass and apple blossom etc.
    So I’ve gotten over every review being a totally new set of narratives and have some reoccurring themes & motifs that make it my own, I hope this is how it comes across and not being lazy lol.

#14 EmperorBevis, Jan 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  15. GratefulBeerGuy

GratefulBeerGuy Pooh-Bah (2,834) May 20, 2006 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My #1 is very simple. Bring more styles into my life. That part that isn't simple is FINDING styles outside of the NE hazy IPA realm. This goal is easily achieved by me, I'm all about new and different styles but the market is NOT cooperating. The market in my area. Southern NH and basically the entire Northeastern US is stuck in Hazy land. The really great breweries of my area are mostly dominated by NE hazy and fruity sours. Now, don't get me wrong the NE hazy IPA'S are an all-time favorite style, but enough is enough.
    Pt. 2 to #1. Travel more to obtain more styles. This means getting to Massachusetts to places like Colonial Liquors in Acton, MA with a huge selection of Belgian and German classic styles and beyond. But obviously, Covid-19 is not going to make it easy.
    #2. Continue to review every new beer I have here first, where I can get much more detailed compared to the fun and user friendly Untapped. I've really been enjoying the Untapped site since the merger. Soo easy to add great pictures, quick review notes and hooking up with beer friends.

16. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (1,191) Jan 13, 2006 New Mexico

My goals are simple.
    Resume homebrewing, but on a much smaller scale than before. I really miss the variety I once had on hand all the time.

Drink better beer. Living in a small town full of Bud Light drinkers makes it hard to find good beer, but it can be done by traveling to bigger cities once the pandemic is controlled. I'm not drinking shit beer now, but I know I can do better.

17. BourbonForBeer

Trader

:sunglasses::sunglasses:
    What home brews do you make? What style?

I make Coffee Stouts with Vanilla, Cinnamon Twists, BA Weller, and BA Maple Syrup atm.

Going to make a Banana, Pecan, Vanilla Stout next:sunglasses:

Singlefinpin, animal69 and Todd like this.
  18. animal69

animal69 Pooh-Bah (1,832) Sep 21, 2007 Louisiana
    Pooh-Bah Society

To finish trying every style of beer and review/rate more places...fuck covid

19. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (1,191) Jan 13, 2006 New Mexico

I've won medals in competitions for my English brown ale, cherry brett and another I can't remember. I've brewed rauchbiers using different woods to smoke the malt, I've done eisbiers, bocks, lagers, you name it. I used to have 2 6 keg kegerators in my garage, so I tried to keep 12 different styles on tap. But we moved and one of my kegerators was too old to have survived the move so now I have one kegerator with just a keg of prickly pear mead. I had to quit brewing while we prepared to move across the state, and then I had health issue that prevented me from drinking beer. I've got a new sack of malt, some yeast and hops, and as of Saturday I have room in my shop to brew so it's time to start.

20. BourbonForBeer

Trader

English Brown Ale!?!?! I think we're now friends :slight_smile: alright, well shit! I need to get to brewing and do a home brew trade with you. I love a good Brown Ale! We had a lot of positive feeback with our home brew as well. A few well known head brewers (keeping them nameless to not name drop) thought we did an excellent job with our Coffee Stout I was talking about.

Cheers!

Singlefinpin, PapaGoose03 and rocdoc1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.