What's the silliest advice from a brewery ever?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RaulMondesi, Oct 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Grand Pooh-Bah (5,209) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Sorry to knock Left Coast here, but come on… Forget about bottle dating, just drink it within 30 days of purchase… Best By is one thing, but this is on another level:
    [​IMG]

2. Giantspace

Giantspace Pooh-Bah (2,879) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Funny, what if it’s a 3 year old bottle?

I have to pass when I see shit like this unless it’s dated on the other side with the bottled on date.

Enjoy

3. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

That's their "out":
    "Well, no - we don't stamp our bottles with a packaging or "best by" date, but you can find your date of purchase right on the cash register receipt!"

And here I was doubtful but proven wrong a few posts later about the number of brewers who label their beers with "Drink Fresh" but don't date them. (Everyday I think that Calagione's percentage estimate was way off...).

4. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Grand Pooh-Bah (3,088) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

Drink from the can.

5. steveh

steveh Grand Pooh-Bah (4,030) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

2-row and a touch of caramel. Hmm, yeah -- it truly is hop juice.

beergoot, thebeeremptor and BigIronH like this.
  6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you posting this but on the back of a recently purchased can of Heady Topper I took note that there is new verbiage on the back of the can:

“Why do I recommend that you drink it from can?

Quite simply, to ensure a delightful hop experience. The act of pouring it in a glass smells nice, but it releases the essential hop aromas that we have worked so hard to retain.

If you MUST pour it into a glass, you may find that some of the hop resins have settled to the bottom -- leave them in the can when pouring. This beer is perishable and at its best when it is young, fresh, and hazy.

Keep it cold, but not ice cold.

Drink this beer immediately, we are always making more.

- John Kimmich”

At least John is now 'acknowledging' the aspect of pouring Heady Topper into a glass.

Cheers!

7. Jaycase

Jaycase Grand Pooh-Bah (3,554) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

...ring ring...
    "Hello, Left Coast Brewing Company."
    "Hi, I'm wondering what the Best Before date is for your Hop Juice Triple IPA."
    "Ok, sure. When did you purchase the beer?"
    "Well, I haven't purchased it yet. I'm at the store and couldn't find a date on the bottle. I'm interested in purchasing it but would like to know the date first. Just want to make sure this bottle is not past its Best Before date yet."
    "Oh ok, of course. Well, it doesn't have a Best Before date yet."
    "Yet? What? How could it not have a date yet? The beer is right here in front of me."
    "I can give you a date if you go ahead and purchase it but until it is purchased there is no Best Before date yet. If you look at the bottom of the bottle it mentions 'Best when enjoyed within 30 days of purchase'."
    "Ok I see that now. So if I purchase this today, the Best Before date will be 30 days from today but if I come back next month or even a year from now and purchase this same bottle of beer then, the Best Before date will be 30 days from that day?"
    "Yep, that's correct. Thirty days from date of purchase. Drink Fresh as they say!"
    "I think you mean Purchase Fresh..." ...hangs up....
    "Sorry? Sir?"

8. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,186) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I don't see the problem. As long they always get it to distributor fresh and the distributor always gets it to store fresh and the store always pulls it from the shelves 30 days after they purchase it there shouldn't be any problems. (Did I miss a comma?) Stone can do it, right? :rolling_eyes:

9. Squire

Squire Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

If they won't date it I won't buy it.

10. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

How long did it sit at the brewery before being shipped to the wholesaler? And how long did it sit at the wholesaler's warehouse?

Squire likes this.
  11. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

And just as important (perhaps more important): under what conditions were those beer stored at the Wholesale Distributors warehouse? Were they continuously stored cold (i.e., refrigerator temperatures) during that lengthy stay?

Cheers!

rgordon, mikeinportc and officerbill like this.
  12. officerbill

officerbill Pooh-Bah (2,228) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Pooh-Bah Trader

[​IMG]
    I've seen “fresh from the distributor” beers going on a year old, I know of two stores where I can buy 2019 IPA's.

13. jesskidden

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Well, my post w/imaginary brewer's quote was sarcasm :wink: - BUT re-reading it now, it's probably too subtle and not too far from the truth. In addition, I'd assumed that any brewery that labeled their beer like that would limit that beer to in-house sales - but I guess that's not the case, either.:grimacing:

14. Giantspace

Giantspace Pooh-Bah (2,879) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Ever have a store employee tell you the beer just came in today, it’s the freshest beer we have? Look at the date and it’s already 8 month old IPA. Ughhh

Enjoy

tinoynk, Squire, lucius10 and 5 others like this.
  15. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

I have heard that too many times. I try to be polite when I respond it is not important that they just got the beer into the store but when the beer was packaged.

I wonder if the employees are 'incentivized' to push old beer onto the customers?

Cheers!

bubseymour, dcotom and mikeinportc like this.
  16. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

My response was a generic comment about beer distribution that is often forgotten or never understood to begin with. Non-dated beer can be "aged" in many ways. And also a touch snide.

17. purephase

purephase Zealot (617) Feb 23, 2008 Connecticut
    Trader

Not sure how new that is, as I think this is exactly what's been on the can for years now.

As for silliest, I feel like the instructions on the handling of many fruited sours is the worst I've seen. Though that's more of an indictment on the existence of the products than the advice since in many cases it's exactly what's necessary to keep them from exploding.

NYR-Zuuuuc, Rug and officerbill like this.
  18. VodkaPong87

VodkaPong87 Maven (1,356) Oct 9, 2020 Connecticut
    Trader

eppCOS likes this.
  19. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

All that I can report is that this latest purchase (August canning date) had this 'new' verbiage. None of the other cans I have purchased in the past had this 'story' on the back of the can.

Perhaps since you live in New England you are more of a 'regular' as regards beers from The Alchemist.

Cheers!

20. jesskidden

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yeah, here's a rear label 'snip' (quoted section bolded by me) from the TTB COLA dated 2011 with the address of the old brewery (right side). 2018 COLA for the new facility has the same text.

Maybe they changed it at some point, but it's what I always remember and a quick COLA search doesn't show anything different.
    [​IMG]

#20 jesskidden, Oct 21, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.