71 Year Old Full Bottle Of Guinness Extra Stout

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by KatCollins, Sep 12, 2018.

1. KatCollins

KatCollins Initiate (11) Sep 12, 2018

Hi. Trying to find if a 71 year old, unopened, bottle of Guiness Extra Stout has any value? Do people collect such thing?

Based on my research, it was bottled in Liverpool, in 1947, by A. McAffee, based upon the L 47 on the label which also contains the “ ‘s “ that was dropped in 1953. The label has missing pieces, however all critical information remains.

Any information, suggestions much appreciated. Thank you.

GrumpyGas likes this.
  2. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,519) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I'll suggest contacting the brewery to see if they'd like to place a value on it. (Meaning they might want to purchase it.)

3. KatCollins

Hmmm. You mean Guinness? Great idea. Thank you.

4. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Zealot (516) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

Would you mind posting pictures? Would love to see such a bottle.

maximum12 and GrumpyGas like this.
  5. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,600) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

It looks like his avatar is it.

6. KatCollins

I’d be more than happy to post a pic, however not sure how to post to this site, as I’m asked for image URL? My avatar is a closeup shot of the label. Was able to just upload that.

7. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,867) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Pretty sure that Guinness bottler was "Alexander Macfee & Co., Ltd".

Probably looks something like this (different bottler, tho'):
    [​IMG]
    The Guinness labels used for bottles exported to the US haven't changed much - a 1947 drinker would have little problem recognizing a bottle on today's shelves.

Note that that bottle is not "Guinness Extra Stout" but "Guinness Foreign Extra Stout". Can't make out the "fine print" on the OP's label re: the US importer -if it was a US import rather than purchased elsewhere. E. J. Burke (by then a subsidiary of Guinness) was the "official" Guinness US importer in the late 1940s but, apparently, other bottlers' Guinness did get here, as well.

FES was the only bottled Guinness exported to the US until sometime in the 1960s, according to Guinness in the 1950s.

Although they did brew Guinness Extra Stout in US for the US market in the early 1950s.

8. KatCollins

Good Morning. Figured out how to post without a url.
    I’m a bad speller.

9. KatCollins

Apparently I did not! Changed my avatar pic to better picture.

10. KatCollins

If anyone can tell me how to post pics without a url - would love to. Have a good day.

11. schteve

schteve Aspirant (220) Sep 10, 2003 New Jersey

The long and the short of it is, you can't. You need to put it on some other hosting site (or instagram if you have it) and link it here. They do it to reduce storage and bandwidth issues, which makes the site run better.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  12. KatCollins

Thanks. Nope, not into Instagram.

13. jesskidden

Society Trader

[​IMG]

Here's the pic from your avatar - brightened and enlarged and, as I suspected, it was "Guinness Foreign Extra Stout" (which is a different beer than Guinness Extra Stout) and, based on "EDWARD" and "LONG" on the left side of the bottom label, it looks like the US Importer was Guinness-owned "EDWARD & JOHN BURKE, LTD. Long Island City, NY" as I mentioned.

For value, I'd check eBay's finished auctions - I can't imagine something in that poor a shape would be worth more than a few bucks (the postage to ship it would likely cost more) and most fanatic Guinness collectors would pass on it. I think I paid around $8 for the bottle with the label I posted in #7 above. But ya never know...

Maybe a local Irish-themed pub would trade you a glass of Guinness Draught for it so they could display it and make up an interesting "origin" story. :grin:

"Ah, t'is the bottle o' Guinness me granny bought to welcome her baby brother home from the War but he never returned..." :cry:

#13 jesskidden, Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  14. schteve

schteve Aspirant (220) Sep 10, 2003 New Jersey

"enhance!" :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

15. KatCollins

16. KatCollins

You could be correct about the value or non-value as the case may be. Time will tell. Cannot be posted on EBay, as the bottle has never been opened.

Facebook has a Guinness Group ... going to post it there.

BTW - how did you access my avatar pic? Just curious.

17. jesskidden

Society Trader

Yeah, as I said, "Ya never know." Just have to hit the right person at the right time.

Lots of full bottles of beer have been sold on eBay - some purchased by me - but haven't really been over there much in the past decade or so, I don't know how well they're monitoring the auctions. Forget the standard "disclaimer" sentence they all used to use.

Right Click - View Image - Copy/Paste.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  18. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,803) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Hahahahah! People sell full bottles all of the time. And, let's be honest, no one's going to drink that, let alone a minor. Just list it as a collectible bottle.

jesskidden and Beer_Economicus like this.
  19. KatCollins

Thank you. I may be too honest for that.

20. KatCollins

I tried to copy and paste ... would not work. How did you post it?

21. jesskidden

Society Trader

Oh, sorry - you asked how I "accessed" your image. To post it in the BeerAdvocate forums, you need to first put it on an image hosting site - I use "Imgur", as noted in the URL of your Guinness bottle pic:
    . . . but a quick Google will turn up many other such sites.

PapaGoose03 and Beer_Economicus like this.
  22. DavidK1126

DavidK1126 Initiate (39) May 7, 2019 New Jersey
    Trader

Are you accepting offers?--via e-mail, of course, not through this site

23. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,519) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

It looks like @KatCollins has not been on the site for a while, likely since last September when this thread started. You may never get a reply to your post.

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  24. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,815) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

I was just going to ask if it sold and how much, maybe we will never know.

PapaGoose03 likes this.