Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

A brewery's standard lineup vs. their special lineup

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ricelikesbeer, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Ricelikesbeer

Do you guys ever find that some brewery's have incredible beers that are rare or unique, while producing a so-so or kind of "blah" normal lineup of beers? I find a few CO breweries to fall under this category.

Avery in Boulder has an amazing array of barrel aged beers, sours, and strong ales, and I probably wouldn't rate any of their normal beers higher than a B or so.

New Belgium's Lips of Faith series is amazing, and I'm really not impressed with their other beers. I find them to be slightly outdated as far as what we know about Belgian brewing today.

Any you guys think falls into the same category? Agree? Disagree?

Zach136 likes this.
  2. bifrost17

Between Avery and New Belgium, you listed two of the greatest examples of this that I can think of.

3. joshclauss

Beer Trader

Ithaca Brewing has this same phenomenon, but I'd argue to the death on Avery.

...and not just because I'm pimping it in my avatar.

4. cubbyswans

Beer Trader

I think Avery IPA is outstanding, and underrated. I don't know if you put Maharaja in with their 'normal' lineup or not, but it is one of my favorite double IPA's. I don't think it's 'rare or unique'. It's just a seasonal, IMO.

As far as New Belgium... well they put out a nice glass.

ericwo, alexipa, FTowne and 1 other person like this.
  5. Brew33

Beer Trader

New Belgium is a great example.

I'd disagree with Avery. I've found their sours to be hit or miss while Ellie's Brown Ale, Hog Heaven, and Avery IPA are excellent examples of their respective styles among others.

nanobrew likes this.
  6. sherm1016

Central Waters here in WI. Their regular line up is serviceable, but forgettable. However, their barrel aged stuff is phenomenal IMO.

7. Oxymoron

Most of your regular line ups are beers that are appeasing to the masses and are easier to reproduce. Your seasonals are a bit more "beer geekish." Plus sours take a long time to produce.

thirstygator likes this.
  8. crusian

Beer Trader

imo, cisco is one also... deschutes too.

9. spark3148857

Southern Tier. Only the 2XIPA and 2XStout really impress me, but the Blackwater and Imperial Series has some incredible offerings.

10. jlordi12

Beer Trader

Flower power rocks

11. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

Funny enough, Great Divide (another Colorado Brewery) seemed to agree with you a few years ago.
    Going back to the mid to late 2000's, their line-up consisted of beers like Hotshot ESB, St. Bridget's Porter, Bee Sting Honey Ale, & Ridgeline Amber.
    However, maybe 4-5 years ago they started dropping those and ended up creating a pretty geeky line-up of rotating Yeti beers and massive brews featuring strong styles from all over the world.
    It seems to have worked out for them, but I'm not sure everyone can do that.

Fat Tire and Sunshine essentially allow New Belgium to break even or lose money on their other items. Avery's line-up of rarer beers are all priced to the point that I'm not sure the regular market would touch them. I don't think going geek-crazy is the way to go for everyone.

12. Resuin

Beer Trader

I might get slapped for this because I know a lot of people are big into the Deschutes year-round stuff, but I guess what I'm saying is that the Deschutes' "special" beers seem to be in a completely different class than their "normal" beers. Not to say their year-rounds aren't good, but I immediately thought of them when I saw this thread.

13. eyeenjoybeer

Sun King's regular lineup is pretty forgettable.
    However, they seem to make some decent special brews, the best of which mostly end up at festivals or paired dinners.

14. luisc123

This is what I think of Firestone. Not that their year rounds are "bad" but their special/seasonals are out of this world.

Resuin and TWStandley like this.
  15. cid71

Flying Fish Exit series terrific but several of the regular offerings so-so. Although they just made exit 16 a regular so I'm sure they know what's most in demand

WassailWilly and dennis3951 like this.
  16. joshclauss

Beer Trader

I agree. But I feel like the weight of their standard-bearers is just there for show. Then, you compare the quality of those against things like Brute, Le Bleu, and the rest of the Excelsior series, and the gap is about as wide as they come. I'd say that the gap is larger just as much because of how good Brute/Le Bleu/Thirteen are as it is that the standards are so boring.

17. denver10

Crabtree.

Their regular lineup is pretty forgetable (at least the few regulars I have tried) but their bombers and special releases that I have tried have all been pretty fantastic. I might be a broken record on this but their Menage et Trois is one of Colorado's hidden gems.

18. BuckeyeOne

If you can say this about Firestone Walker, you can say this about nearly every brewery. In my opinion, their year-round lineup is top-notch for their styles IMO. Union Jack is by far my favorite IPA plus Pale 31, DBA and Double Jack, Wookey Jack, and Reserve Series Porter are above average.

Just because FW's seasonals and specials are world class doesn't diminish their regular lineup.

19. Ricelikesbeer

Yes, you nailed it. I remember a few of those too. (I'm also from CO) but I still think Great divide's everyday lineup isn't bad. (I enjoy claymore, hoss, and yeti of course). But I wouldn't consider chocolate oak aged yeti part of their normal lineup.

20. Ricelikesbeer

And to clarify, I guess I meant a brewery's flagship beers being their "normal lineup". Avery's demon series, dictator series, and heaven and hell series I would all consider to be more special or adventurous.

21. Ricelikesbeer

I think Deschuttes has a great year-round normal lineup. I'd drink inversion, mirror pond, and black butte and Obsidian all day.

TheJollyHop, TongoRad and beertunes like this.
  22. ant880

Would Boulevard fall into this category? I ask instead of state because my only experiences with them have been their Smokestack Series (Saison Brett, Long Strange Tripel, Sixth Glass and Tank 7) and I have throughly enjoyed each of those. I have heard from several BAs, however, that their regular lineup is not great at all. I have not personally had anything from their regular lineup so I cant confirm.

23. tjensen3618

I would actually argue the exact opposite for Avery, good regular 6 pack lineup that I buy often, with special releases that are just ok, but very overpriced.

I like New Belgium's regular lineup and their LOF beers, both are quite good with some misses and some hits.

FW is fabulous all around.

24. luisc123

Union Jack, Pale 31, DBA, and Double Jack are all "meh" to me. Sorry bout it

25. bifrost17

Then add on top of those their limited releases, The Abyss, The Dissident, Black Butte Anniversaries, and Mirror Mirror....This is what makes Deschutes world class in my opinion.They nail it with every beer.

beertunes likes this.
  26. FTowne

I think that Single Wide, 80 Acre, and Bully are all fantastic beers that I buy on the regular. I personally wouldn't include Blvd in this category.

27. Sarlacc83

Except the Stoic and every variation thereof.

28. bifrost17

Touche

Sarlacc83 likes this.
  29. BuckeyeOne

Then there's something wrong with you. Just kidding. We all have different tastes.

glaze3 likes this.
  30. Brunite

To put the reverse spin on the discussion...

One brewery you could never say this about is Founders. Kudos to them for that!

31. OneBeertoRTA

Subscriber Beer Trader

Am I going to get flamed when I say Goose Island?

Goose Island!

32. Immortale25

Beer Trader

Brooklyn. Just about everything they do in a big bottle is great but their regular lineup is among the most lackluster.

musicman7070 and rlee1390 like this.
  33. lester619

Beer Trader

I think Happy Heron and Glacial Trail deserve a little better than serviceable. Just sayin.

34. beerborn

Agreed, ST's normal lineup is alright but the blackwater series is outstanding IMO

fujindemon74 likes this.
  35. Trevdawg

Captain Lawrence

36. Brunite

37. OneBeertoRTA

Subscriber Beer Trader

38. Brunite

Yes. It was the English style IPA. That is a crappy link that I used!

Here is the PDF of the results. Category #48.

http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/wp-content/uploads/12_GABF_winners.pdf

And yes; I know taste is subjective. But the results at this event, as discussed ad nauseum here a few weeks back, do count for something.

39. alexipa

Beer Trader

If you are counting their trinity lineup and seasonals, then I call shenanigans. If you are counting their 5-6 other beers (IPA, ellie's, white rascal, out of bounds, etc) then that's fair. They are meant to appeal to the broader market so they can continue putting out their barrel aged, sours, strong ales for so darn cheap.

40. Blueribbon666

I'm going with Troegs on this one. Their seasonals or bigger beers are better than their regular 4 that you can find in their mixer & year round.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe