A. Fisher Brewing Company: Reviving a Utah Legacy

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Dec 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerAdvocate

BeerAdvocate Founders (16,536) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts

By reviving one of Salt Lake City’s beloved heritage brands with a distinctively modern approach, A. Fisher Brewing Company has earned the admiration of beer drinkers young and old.

Read the full article: A. Fisher Brewing Company: Reviving a Utah Legacy

2. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,003) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Some Rock Music/Brewery trivia:

The father of Fleetwood Mac's and solo artist Steve Nicks, Jess (no relation) Nicks was the manager of the former Fisher brewery when it was under Lucky Lager/General Brewing Co's ownership and was the president of General when they shut it down in 1967.

(* Not to be confused with the original and greater group, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac :grin:)

This doesn't sound right to me. General Brewing Co. was the Lucky Lager Brewing Co. (just a reversion to it's original name) and Pabst by the 1980s was under the same ownership as General, Paul Kalmanovitz's S&P Corp.

Don't know how Miller is connected to Fisher unless it's the fact that Miller purchased General's Azusa CA brewery or, maybe, they were contract-brewing Fisher, as they were for most other brands for S&P/Pabst in the late 90s-early 00s? Don't know when Fisher disappeared but into the '90s it was still listed as a General brand.

MonkeyBread likes this.
  3. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,058) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I remember Lucky Lager out west many years ago. It wasn't bad. But I really remember many nights in the dorm listening to Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green and the fantastic historic Oh Well and Black Magic Woman. I was playing these tunes yesterday. I did like Kiln House after Green had gone on walkabout in India. I suffered through Stevie Nicks just because of Fleetwood and McVie.

4. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Disciple (350) Apr 29, 2012 California

I like the history, but I must point out it's still in Utah (a place I recently returned from and affectionately refer to as: "Beer Hell").

4% ABV draft limit throughout the state. Oh, and they are lowering the BAC legal limit from .08 to .05 on December 30 (yes...just in time for New Years Eve). :poop:

ChicagoJ and MonkeyBread like this.
  5. Keene

Keene Defender (664) Sep 11, 2009 Washington

All the more reason to highlight the work of those brewers who are pushing for change, right?

6. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,254) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

I travel to Salt Lake City a few times a year for work and was just back out there this month. I find the draft limit forces some creativity on styles that other brewers pass on because it is a lower ABV. And heck, the craft-centric places have bottles for those who really want the strong stuff.

TriggerFingers likes this.
  7. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Disciple (350) Apr 29, 2012 California

Fair enough. I love the history and the tale. I have a graduate degree in American History so I appreciate it in a slightly different (and "geeky") way than most BA's might. I will say though; breweries, home brewers, and craft aficionados are facing obstacles far greater than the byproduct of total ABV in the state of Utah. As I see it, the "push" is (and has always been) against brewers in Utah; not the other way around.

As an award-winning home brewer, I can see (and appreciate) the ABV limit representing a challenge to creativity. As a published historian, I will question the mechanism in place for which all brewers must meet this challenge.

8. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

If you find that troubling, avoid going to Europe. :slight_smile:

ChicagoJ likes this.
  9. MFMB

MFMB Meyvn (1,051) Jan 23, 2015 Idaho

Fisher is fighting the good fight. As someone who is familiar with craft beer in SLC and spent a fair amount of time there I am happy to have these guys around.

10. Benish

Benish Meyvn (1,143) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

If I understand correctly, a lot of the brewers in Utah are not pushing for the 4% abv draft change because it is their money making market. Someone correct if I’m wrong. I lived in Salt Lake City for two years and that was what I got a sense of.

11. bufante

bufante Aspirant (268) Jun 28, 2014 Iowa
    Trader

I visited Fisher a few months back (along with Kiitos Brewing) and I knew going into it about the 4% draft issue. Having said that, I was impressed with what they both did given the restraints. They still had good flavor and were done well.

Fisher was a really cool spot I thought and had a friendly/relaxed vibe. Keep up the good work and I hope some day the laws change in your favor (and ours)!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.