A Green Bottle Showdown

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JackHorzempa, Feb 10, 2024.

1. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Below is another blind tasting by Nate Lanier (Tree House Brewing). It has an interesting motif of comparing lagers that are packaged in green bottles.

I think this blind tasting is an improvement over his previous blind tastings since:
    • He is drinking the beers out of opaque glasses to mitigate potential biases from seeing the beer
    • He decided to take brief notes to help him remember attributes of the beers as he tastes them.
    And the winner is.....

Cheers!

Roguer, MadMadMike, deanzaZZR and 4 others like this.
  2. MutuelsMark

MutuelsMark Grand Pooh-Bah (3,003) Jan 23, 2015 Kentucky
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I am surprised of 2 things. 1) I would think it would be best to rinse between tastes. 2) very surprised the Heineken he didn't mention the skunk smell that is very typical of Heineken.

3. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

If the beer was well protected (e.g., inside a closed box until being consumed) it would not experience being lightstruck.

I am personally not a Heineken drinker but if I were to purchased this beer I would choose to buy it in cans.

Cheers!

Roguer, Blogjackets and MutuelsMark like this.
  4. MutuelsMark

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I was told Heineken intentional makes the beer that way...not sure if that is true or not, again that is what I was told and it has the skunk nose even from tap. I am not a Heineken drinker either so take this information with a grain of salt..tiny grain

5. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

Maybe buy a single can of Heineken (for science) and report back?

Cheers!

Blogjackets and MutuelsMark like this.
  6. MutuelsMark

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I might just do that.

Blogjackets likes this.
  7. steveh

steveh Grand Pooh-Bah (4,030) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

Nope, and nope.

Not sure who told you this, but it's a longtime myth about the purposeful skunking. I've enjoyed many Heinekens from tap, bottle, and can that weren't skunked and, when fresh, had a very nice malt character.

Roguer, beerjerk666, beergoot and 3 others like this.
  8. MutuelsMark

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Good to hear first hand experience. Thanks.

Blogjackets likes this.
  9. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I always wonder about people who claim this, how do they think it worked? Did the brewery call up Pfaudler (the company that installed 1,000s of glass-lined steel tanks in hundreds of US breweries - including, apparently one in Latrobe, PA) and ask if they'd get a discount if they only bought the glass lining and skipped the steel shell. "Yeah, we already have the wall of windows we want it installed next to!"
    [​IMG]

MutuelsMark and steveh like this.
  10. steveh

Pooh-Bah Society

There's also the old question of the different perceptions of "skunk." Lots'a folks who have never experienced the Loudon Wainwright III "drivin' down the road late one night..." :wink:

barrybeerdog and MutuelsMark like this.
  11. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,245) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Not surprising that he thought Yuengling was the sweetest of those beers.

MrOH and beerjerk666 like this.
  12. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Pooh-Bah (2,523) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

I’ve heard that too or some other beer in a green bottle. Not skunking beer on purpose but using brown bottles instead. Charlie Bamforth talked about it on a podcast. He said people were complaining that it didn’t taste as good so they switch back. Maybe it was becks?

13. steveh

Pooh-Bah Society

Be interesting if you could find the source. Never heard of any brewers switching back to green.
    @jesskidden

FWIW -- back in the late '70s & early '80s I had a relative who worked at the local distro handling Beck's. I used to get cases wholesale and always had a couple in my dorm room at any time. Not ever a skunky bottle.

14. tolar111

tolar111 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,060) Aug 17, 2008 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I tend to drink the occasional Heineken at the race track in the summertime and it's
    always out of the can, I've never noted any skunky flavor. Earlier this week I drank a
    Heineken 0.0 served in a green bottle, it had more skunk than any "beer" that I've
    had in a very long time

[​IMG]

beerjerk666 and JackHorzempa like this.
  15. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

16. jesskidden

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm sure it has happened, but can't think of one offhand. Many Euro and other imports have been in green bottles in some markets, brown in others. The one that comes to mind - mostly 'cause I've got a jpeg ready for it - is Labatt in late 70s and early 80s (around the period when the major Canadian brewers abandoned the stubby as their universal bottle).

US - left, Canada - right.
    [​IMG]
    According to the marketing manager for Labatt at the time, "We asked consumers to describe what they would look like* if they were an imported beer and almost every response began with 'We would be in a green bottle.'"

:grimacing: Yeah, things were different back then. When did Barbara Walters become infamous for her "If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?"

PapaGoose03, moodenba and steveh like this.
  17. tolar111

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I drank so much Molson Export, Labatt Blue and 50, in the 70's and 80's
    that if you said skunk I would say

[​IMG]

I don't know if I could choke one down now

18. jesskidden

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

And sometime in the early 80s, Yuengling's Chesterfield Ale would come in both green and brown deposit bottles. I think the green deposits were disappearing from the market, especially after Falstaff moved Ballantine to Ft. Wayne IN after closing Narragansett, and Yuengling couldn't always afford to order and pay for new greenies. Most brewers' deposit bottles were interchangeable, except for color, obviously.
    [​IMG]
    But Chesterfield at the time was primarily sold in the deposit case "shells", so they seldom became lightstruck, at least at the retail level.

The only similar situation I can remember is Matt's Premium coming in clear throw-away bottles and the deposits were standard brown glass, which I always bought when I could - luckily I had a retail beer license at the time in NYS, so I just ordered them for my personal use even if they were typically only sold to bars.

MrOH, PapaGoose03 and beerjerk666 like this.
  19. tolar111

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Genesse 12 Horse did time in a green bottle and came back in the brown stubby

[​IMG]

augustgarage and beerjerk666 like this.
  20. jesskidden

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Molson's another one, of course, it came in the standard brown stubby in its home market. I think the story goes (not going to bother looking it up, so don't quote me) that a former Van Munching, Heineken's US importer, marketing guy was hired to run Molson's US import division, Martlet, and convinced them use a bottle similar to the Heineken green "almost long neck" and that's when Molson sales took off in the US.

PapaGoose03 and tolar111 like this.