A little help from FL BA's

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by thepeter, Oct 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thepeter

thepeter Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2005 England

I will make this short and sweet adn appreciate all of your suggestions. I live in London, My parents live north of Tampa. i am sending them to ABC Liquiors to get me a few beers. I already will be asking for the Cigar City Imp Pumpkin Ale. Anything else from the area (South Atlantic) that you may suggest. I already asked and Funky Budda lounge is not available there.
    Thanks

2. bryanole27

bryanole27 Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2011 North Carolina

My advice is to send them to Total Wine instead of ABC. Beers have a tendency to sit around ABCs, but you might get lucky sometimes. Since they are in Tampa I would stick with the CCB theme and grab some new canned Jai Alai and some Maduro Brown if you like brown ales. Not sure what other styles you like.

Shaw likes this.
  3. Lare453

Lare453 Meyvn (1,400) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Trader

Agreed, total wine is the place to go. You can go on their website and look at what they have before you send them. Even buy it and have them just pick it up at the counter. Plus if they go to the one on dale marry, ccb is almost in the same parking lot.

Shaw likes this.
  4. fhyden

fhyden Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2012 Florida

Leuken's Liquors in Dunedin is well worth the drive.

zac16125 likes this.
  5. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,194) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Yes, if they are willing to drive, have them go to Luekens, but make sure its the one in Dunedin, NOT the one in Clearwater. As far as south Atlantic beers, CCB as you said, although I'd say they have a lot of beers that I'd rather have than the Pumpkin Ale (Tocobaga, White Oak Aged Jai Alai, Zhukov is probably at Luekens). FL also tends to have a good selection of Terrapin Beers, of which there are many tasty ones. If you're from Europe and don't have access to any US beers, than I'd definitely have them pick you up some Stone beers,some of the best (and most obtainable) hoppy beers in the US IMO. Southern Tier and Great Divide are two other US breweries that have great selections of varying styles that are available most places in FL.

6. TimothyAugustin

TimothyAugustin Initiate (0) Jul 17, 2012 Washington

If you want beers made in SW Florida, Cigar City is the way to go. As Zac mentioned, the Imperial Pumpkin is probably lower on my list of CC beers to go out of your way for. I am a huge fan of Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout, you may still be able to find a Guava Grove or a Cucumber Saison (both of which I think are extremely inventive and worth trying). If you are ok with going outside of Florida, Terrapin (as mentioned is great) and Sweetwater (from Atlanta) should be in Tampa really soon.

7. dcs1548

dcs1548 Initiate (0) Nov 6, 2011 Virginia

Cigar City and Terrapin if you're looking for more regional stuff. If you don't have access to other US breweries than I'd say Lagunitas, Great Divide, and Bell's,

8. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina

Cucumber Saison wouldnt be a bad idea.

9. codysjb

codysjb Disciple (379) Jun 16, 2010 Florida
    Trader

I agree with all the CCB ideas and want to add support to Bells. If you had to pick two six packs I would certainly make one either Two hearted or Bells Porter. Both are solid choices that you can't go wrong with.

10. VncentLIFE

Honestly, i would shoot for Oarsman instead of the porter. Founders/Great Lakes is better and Bells Porter is just ok. Oarsman is a unique beer that everyone forgets about.

thepeter likes this.
  11. robinsmv

robinsmv Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2010 Florida

I haven't forgotten about it, I just make a better Berliner :wink:

12. VncentLIFE

it really is the only widely distributed Berliner.....

Lare453 and robinsmv like this.
  13. robinsmv

You also have prof fritz briem 1809 Berliner and Festina Peche (yes, I know one is flavored and the other is on the strong side for a Berliner). I'm not sure if 7venthsun bottles any of their Berliners, but they make some good ones if you are ever in the Tampa Bay Area as does Pegs.

14. VncentLIFE

1809 wasnt as drinkable as Oarsman, and Festina is seasonal. Oarsman is year round, relatively cheap, and refreshing.

15. robinsmv

I'll take Festina over oarsman. It may be seasonal but it hangs around here forever. You may not find 1809 as refreshing but it is widely distributed and year round, if not a bit on the pricey side. In the end if you need the sour itch scratched a Berliner Weisse is way cheaper then a gueuze and I will argue sometimes more enjoyable.

jloomis likes this.
  16. thepeter

thepeter Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2005 England

Thanks for all your help! I have pretty decent access to many of the beers you mention and as I am from Boston origianally and the rents' live in FL, I have had all the classics! That Cucumber Saison was awesome btw, had it a couple weeks ago. Take care and thanks again.

17. reviticus

reviticus Initiate (0) Sep 26, 2012

a few years back while visiting family i went into The World of Beers in Clearwater and was happy to see many of my Northwest and Notheast favorites not far from south Tampa or St. Pete areas

18. VncentLIFE

This years Festina was terrible. Much less sour and peachy. last years was amazing.

19. robinsmv

Really? I thought it tasted just like biting into a tart peach, and the prickly mouthfeel almost reminds me of the fuzz on the outside of a peach. Of course i always forget that this years hopslam was less hoppy, the FBS has no coffee in it, and the BCBS has less BCBS-ness. I feel Iike I'm forgetting one, oh yeah, this years celebration will be bland and tasteless when it comes out.

20. VncentLIFE

actually, I thought celebration was spiced:slight_smile:

21. robinsmv

I was in the past. this year it won't be since the world is going to end in December and Sierra Nevada decided to say fuck it, let the Internet forums be right for once

22. VncentLIFE

damn, well only be right for like a month.

robinsmv likes this.
  23. dbelcher5761

dbelcher5761 Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2011 Florida

Kingdom in Brandon still has plenty of Marshal Zhkov and Good Gourd. There was also Guava on the shelf too. FWIW.

Bolita is also worth picking up, I know it's still around in a few places.

24. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,347) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

If you're a fan of sours or saisons, tell them to go to Total and pick up whatever Saint Somewhere is on the shelf. Guaranteed there will be at least two different kinds available. As far as the CCB stuff goes, yeah Good Gourd is quite..."good" (HAHAHA, sorry) if they can find it, and tell them to look out for Zhukov but I'm afraid they probably won't find it. Oh and, with any luck, there should be some Humidor series Jai Alai to be had which is to die for IMO. Terrapin Wake n Bake is a great coffee stout to keep an eye out for and, like others have said, Bell's Two-Hearted and Lagunitas A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' or, even better, A Little Sumpin' Wild...actually any Lagunitas will do. Also, you can't go wrong with anything by Avery, Ballast Point or Weyerbacher. Cheers and good luck!

thepeter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.