A Salute to Saisons! (2022)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Davl22, Apr 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,821) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I posted the below earlier today in the NBW thread:

Do you like Gin?

I am a fan of Gin. For those of you who do not partake Gin is a clear liquor whose flavor profile is heavily influenced by the botanicals infused during the liquor production. Juniper is the one botanical used but a number of others can/are added as well. For example, Tanqueray 10 has eight different botanicals added: juniper, coriander, licorice, angelica root, chamomile flowers and three kinds of fresh, whole citrus. Every brand of Gin will taste differently due to the differing variety (and relative amounts) of botanicals added.

Which brings us to today’s beer: Lawson’s Saison Aged in Barr Hill Tom Cat Gin Barrels.

Since I am a fan of Gin I have high hopes for this beer but:

· Will the flavors of the base beer (Saison) marry well with the flavor notes imparted by the Barr Hill Gin barrel?

· Is Barr Hill Tom Cat Gin a tasty Gin (I have never had it)?

Below is a short description of this beer from the Lawson’s website:

“After months of anticipation, this magical process has mingled the classic aroma esters of a strong Belgian Saison (inspired by “Avec Les Bon Voeux”) with the earthy and herbal notes of Tom Cat Gin.”

There is also an interesting video available on the website:

https://www.lawsonsfinest.com/lawsons-finest-x-barr-hill/

Who doesn’t like magical!?!

[​IMG]

Served in my Tripel Karmeliet tulip glass:

Appearance

A deep golden – amber color with an off-white head.

Aroma

An enticing combination of aromas: some vanilla, some spiciness, some fruitiness, some citrus, some…

Taste:

The flavor follows the nose with all of the above flavors matching the aromas. There is a hint of sweetness.

Mouthfeel

Medium body with an off-dry finish.

Overall

This beer is very good. Nothing in this beer specifically says “Gin” to me but the barrel aging definitely added complexity to this beer.

Cheers!

[​IMG]

2. puck1225

puck1225 Poo-Bah (4,335) Dec 22, 2013 Texas
    Society Trader

Had Jester King’s Year Eleven Anniversary Saison this evening. Think Saison DuPont amped a bit with hops. Very flavorful, very recommended!

3. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Savant (958) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

A wine style glass that is tall and fluted but not belled out much at all like a tulip would be. It is a HF glass.

Resistance88, FBarber and ChicagoJ like this.
  4. Roy_Hobbs

Roy_Hobbs Meyvn (1,301) Jan 21, 2017 Connecticut
    Society Trader

This bottle of Muroise from Oxbow is excellent
    [​IMG]
    4.47/5 rDev +5.2%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a brilliant grapefruit color with loads of fizzy white head. Very nice looking. Aroma is excellent Loads and loads of berries but with a farmhouse funk. Close to a 5 on the nose for me. Taste is a little more balanced between the berries and the funk, but both feature prominently. Feel is bright, dry and lively. Some of this is style bias, but I really like this beer. Perfect blend of fruit & funk.

5. Davl22

Davl22 Disciple (378) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

[​IMG]
    Oxbow/Thiriez Collab Cuvée Thiriez: A blend of foudre aged saison and barrel aged blonde ales. Oxbow always nails the minerality. Chalky pez and oyster shell. Mandarin orange fruit cup, funky Brett C pineapple, floral hops. Almost four years in the bottle and still tasting amazing.

6. Roy_Hobbs

Roy_Hobbs Meyvn (1,301) Jan 21, 2017 Connecticut
    Society Trader

x-post with New Beer Weekend #101 thread. This is a great beer to start the weekend with. Fantastic.
    [​IMG]
    4.56/5 rDev +5.1%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2019 vintage poured into a HF stem glass. Bright vibrant golden color with plenty of medium density white head that receded to a permanent cap / ring. Aroma is a really nice mix of flowers, lemon, honey, and grassy funk. Definitely multi-layered.

Taste is an explosion of flavor. Lovely balance of honey, grass, funk, yeast, dandelion and more. Can't do it justice with words, Just wonderfully complex. It's sweet, it's tart, it's earthy, and there's a little bit of bite. Crisp, light and well carbonated. Delicious beer.

7. SLeffler27

SLeffler27 Poo-Bah (3,021) Feb 24, 2008 New York
    Society Trader

MXD’FRM - Jackie O’s

[​IMG]

The glow fades to mildly hazy translucence shortly after the head evaporated, leaving no lace.

The aroma is filled with tart lime and coriander. After a few minutes, the aroma takes on a brine quality with dried hay. Noticeable warmth reveals mild skunkiness.

A fierce, three-way, competition is being waged for prominence between acidity, tartness, and bitterness. Lime takes an early lead, with coriander and grape skins taking control as it warms. Light skunkiness is badgering the combatants all the while, gaining attention with warmth. The finish is more of a calming, long and mild.

The medium body has a hard corse texture, similar to taffeta. Alcohol starts higher than expected then mellows. Fairly dry, with fizzy carbonation.

About halfway down I refilled the glass, allowing yeast to flow. Aside from the expected change in appearance, this tamed the competition and added a prominent Lemmon aroma/flavor, while allowing the coriander to show in the flavor. This is a decent beer, which I am enjoying inside on a hot Summer afternoon. Maybe I’ll read a little while finishing this bottle.

8. J-legend-K

J-legend-K Initiate (103) Feb 6, 2021 Colorado
    Trader

9. barrybeerdog

barrybeerdog Initiate (186) Aug 17, 2012 South Dakota

Wow, I wasn't aware of the collab Oxbow had w/ Brasserie Thiriez. I had the great pleasure of visiting Thiriez in 2018 & getting a one on one brewery tour & several pours in the brewery pub from owner Daniel Thiriez.
    The brewery was a small unassuming operation in his back yard & Daniel was such a gracious host! A great beer experience!

DefenCorps, KentT, Stormfield and 9 others like this.
  10. crazyspicychef

crazyspicychef Devotee (460) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

Had a Honey Saison at Lovedraft's Brewery in Camp Hill, Pa.
    I forget it's odd name, but it was pretty solid with a nice faint honey finish.
    At 7%, it was the perfect hot summer day brew. I would have had a few more, but I wanted to try the lagers as well. They were also pretty solid
    I was impressed, which doesn't happen often in these parts.

11. Davl22

Trader

They’ve done a couple of collabs with Thiriez in the past, all have been awesome. Would love to visit them in France someday. I love their approach to saison.

12. crazyspicychef

Has anyone ever had a commercial example of a Rye Saison?
    I'm getting ready to brew one but wanted to taste an example or, heh, maybe two to see what to look for in the finished result.
    I have come across several recipes, but damned if I can find a brewery that makes one.
    It sounds to me like the rye would greatly compliment the spiciness, earthiness & esters that a Saison yeast produces.
    I'm surprised that style is not more popular.
    Needless to say, I am a big fan of rye in beers of most styles. Just gives them that extra something if done correctly.

13. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,821) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I have not tasted a Rye Saison but I do think a moderate amount of Rye Malt in the grain bill could indeed be complimentary. I would think that something like having 20% Rye Malt would be a good target and I would recommend that you use a Saison yeast strain which produces a fair amount of esters (fruity flavors) would be an appropriate choice. Do not use WY3211.

Here is a recipe which might provide a model:

https://www.brewingwithbriess.com/blog/high-dry-rye-saison/

This topic was discussed in a past BA thread in the Hombrewing forum:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/rye-saison.182110/

Cheers!

14. crazyspicychef

Thanks

ChicagoJ likes this.
  15. crazyspicychef

That is actually one of the recipes I have gathered. Looks good to me!

ChicagoJ likes this.
  16. crazyspicychef

I like your drinking vessel!

Resistance88, SLeffler27 and ChicagoJ like this.
  17. SLeffler27

Society Trader

Resistance88 likes this.
  18. augustgarage

augustgarage Poo-Bah (2,368) May 20, 2007 California
    Society Trader

I believe Saison Rue is a high rye saison - it's tasty, though brewed with Brett: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/40927/42434/

I also think spelt makes for a great farmhouse ale if you want to try something different. Commercial example: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/825/3587/

SABERG, AlcahueteJ, ChicagoJ and 2 others like this.
  19. Davl22

Trader

I'm pretty sure I've had one from Allagash in the past, but Oxbow came out with Old/Older 51 Rye Saison that were both delicious. I brewed a rye saison a few years go. I liked the attributes. It creates a heftier mouthfeel, and even after a year in the bottle it didn't drop clear. There was a definite malty spice, but nothing over the top. I think I used around 20%.

20. ShutUpLiver

ShutUpLiver Initiate (81) Nov 29, 2020 Missouri
    Trader

21. Davl22

Trader

[​IMG]

Suarez Merkel 2021(Montmorency cherries): They make some of the best cherry saison/wilds out there. Beautiful color, tart cherry pie on the nose, mild acidity and mild funk.

22. SLeffler27

Society Trader

Stephan du Blank - Liquid Noise

[​IMG]

The head quickly retreated before holding at a thin blanket, leaving no lace. Boooooo. The second poor added quite a bit of sediment.

It was aged on peach purée, with white wine must. The aroma presents peach with light funkiness, however, it lacks the brightness expected from the fruit. It is earthy and the hops are apparent. In general the aroma is a bit dull.

Pleasant tartness is in balance with mild sweetness. The peach seems to be short of ripe, with the bitter skins being more noticeable than the meat. Warming draws out the white wine quality. It is fairly dry, with a quick mild finish.

A medium body and corse texture. The texture is greatly effected by the effervescent carbonation, which amplifies as it warms. Alcohol is about as expected at 7.5%.

While an enjoyable beer, I imagine if the fruit and wine are tuned more, than this beer will shine. As is, it will work with grilled muscles. For the Forth of July, a bright Bohemian Pilsner is waiting, and maybe something more exciting is in order for the evening.

23. Davl22

Trader

[​IMG]

Happy 4th!!!

24. JackRWatkins

JackRWatkins Crusader (751) Nov 3, 2014 Georgia
    Trader

Petition to change this site to Saison Advocate, let's just do it now and get it over with.
    I would be most pleased by this change. And I feel like it would make all the Barleywine stans cry.

Sheppard, beardown2489 and SLeffler27 like this.
  25. SLeffler27

Society Trader

Ouch! You are cruel. :grin: And brave too. :sunglasses: We are out numbered. WAY out numbered.
    I like em all.

JackRWatkins likes this.
  26. JackRWatkins

JackRWatkins Crusader (751) Nov 3, 2014 Georgia
    Trader

Our movement is small now, but among our number are the devoted, together we can win the day, we WILL WIN THE DAY! LONG LIVE SAISON!!!

27. Davl22

Trader

[​IMG]

RRB Jannemie Brett Saison

Cheers!

28. augustgarage

Society Trader

...great minds...

[​IMG]
    Was going to wait until I could get a bottle of Robert to compare, but decided to go ahead and open this now. Review here (4.27).

29. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,816) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    American, saison-inspired beer

#109 zid, Jul 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
  30. augustgarage

Society Trader

Borderline saison content (while a farmhouse ale, this is described as a sahti):

[​IMG]

Review here (4.17).

31. Davl22

Trader

Love it! Excellent Brett saison overall. Really satisfying on a hot day.

augustgarage likes this.
  32. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,995) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Big difference in clarity. A case of pouring the sediment vs. not?

SABERG likes this.
  33. Davl22

Trader

I typically always leave the dregs in the bottle except for Allagash White. I had just pulled this from the fridge so maybe extra chill haze?

AlcahueteJ and ChicagoJ like this.
  34. augustgarage

Society Trader

Mine had been sitting in the fridge undisturbed for about four months, so quite possibly it had settled enough that my initial pour had greater clarity. When I emptied the bottle, it looked more like Davl22's.

Davl22, AlcahueteJ and ChicagoJ like this.
  35. ShutUpLiver

ShutUpLiver Initiate (81) Nov 29, 2020 Missouri
    Trader

[​IMG]

Was at trivia at Wellspent Brewing (my first time there) and had this wonderful saison. I was particularly struck by the high carbonation (you can see the how high the head was in the picture before it receded) and pillowy light texture yet it was not light on flavor. Lovely florals and grassy notes, chamomile, lemon peel, and a little white pepper on the finish.

36. augustgarage

Society Trader

[​IMG]
    "Like Minds" from Sante Adairius with buckwheat, Brett., and barrel-influence. Review here (4.34).

37. Resistance88

Resistance88 Defender (650) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

You ( mr. Only 3 pages)and the Barleywine guys dont stand a chance against the Imperial Stout thread.
    This reminded me that i have a Saison Du Pont and Saison Du Rosier from Cellador in my fridge.

My wife is a huge horse beer fan and i generally keep 3 or 4 horse beers in the fridge for her

38. Davl22

Trader

I know. It’s depressing to see massive thicc boys getting more love during a heatwave than Saison, but se la vie.

SLeffler27, ChicagoJ and SABERG like this.
  39. Giantspace

Giantspace Meyvn (1,049) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

A bit older, December 2021 but really good. A slight sour refreshing lemony earthy drank from the can. I had this fresh on tap early winter and I like this canned much more.

Enjoy

[​IMG]

40. Davl22

Trader

[​IMG]

Green Bench Brewing Never Too Much- Blend of bourbon barrel aged sour ales. At 6% this has no right being this good. First whiff was toffee blondie bars, overripe pear/banana, stone fruit, lemon zest and cocoa powder. Incredibly complex. The type of beer that you pick up something different every time you breathe in. Balanced acidity and funk. Wish I had another bottle.

Cheers to the thiccy thic boys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.