A Salute to Saisons

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mrmattosgood, Jul 21, 2020.

1. BruChef

BruChef Aspirant (220) Nov 8, 2009 New York

Just started getting a limited amount of Logsdon distro and Had a few farmhouse/Saisons (Urban Encore and Funk Soul Bretta) and they were really well done. It’s weird because there is definitely a farmhouse funk to their beers but somehow they are very clean tasting if that makes any sense.

Dimidiata, Amendm and StoutElk_92 like this.
  2. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,857) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

My friend gave me a can of Urban Encore and I thought it was amazing. Definitely clean and light, easy drinking, beautifully floral, great taste and balance.

3. MrOH

MrOH Meyvn (1,245) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

More of the same as last week. Maybe by next Saturday a local brewery will come through with something to take home that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

4. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,480) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

This is definitely my biggest complaint with the style in the states, its almost always priced as a special event beer. I miss having access to Brewery Vivant and their wonderful and affordable saisons

ChicagoJ, TongoRad, MrOH and 2 others like this.
  5. Kozaka

Kozaka Defender (623) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Fox Farm Leeway. From the brewery:

“...Leeway, a Farmhouse Ale with sea salt, coriander and citrus. Very much inspired by Gose, it begins with a base of Connecticut grown wheat and barley and undergoes a primary fermentation in stainless steel with our farmhouse mixed culture. As with nearly all of our farmhouse ales, it was allowed to further develop in one of our American oak foeders. Thoughtful additions of freshly ground coriander, pink Himalayan sea salt and a blend of fresh grapefruit, lime and orange peel were added along the way...”

[​IMG]

A: Sharp lemon followed by faint lime and orange zest; peppery; wheat crust.
    F: Mostly lemon and lime acidity, perhaps some grapefruit coming through. Slightly doughy.
    M: Definitely get the salt sensation. Very lively; moderately dry and some perceived bitterness.
    O: Interesting variation. I guess the coriander is providing the more dominant lemon characteristics. The lemon is natural and pure, not an artificial solvent. Not getting much oaky or peppery traits in the flavor. But the acidity and salt make it very inviting and thirst quenching.

6. MightyTrustKrusher

MightyTrustKrusher Initiate (76) Nov 5, 2014 New Jersey

I agree with this assessment. I have been itching to find a four or six pack saison that's widely available at a good price. I mentioned the Allagash saison earlier in this thread, which mostly hits that mark, but I don't always find it while at the liquor store. I get why there's an uptick in price with the brett'd and barrel aged saisons, but some straight up examples for cheap would get a frequent purchase from me.

With that said, I bought two pricey aged saisons to have today. So I'm part of the problem there I guess. :open_mouth:

7. Davl22

Davl22 Aspirant (293) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

I miss Prairie’s mixed ferm beers. I used to buy Prairie Ale, Puncheon, Brett C fairly often. I try to pick up Standard in cans when I see it, but I loved the depth and drinkability they got from the mixed culture.

ChicagoJ, SABERG and Amendm like this.
  8. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Initiate (184) Nov 6, 2010 Idaho
    Trader

Do you remember Prairie and Blue Lobsters Little Lobster on the Prairie?

duchessedubourg and Amendm like this.
  9. Davl22

Trader

[​IMG]
    A little late to the party but popped a doozy for the occasion. 2017 Westy 12 I bought when I was in Belgium on vaca. Last bottle...going to need to go back someday for a restock.

10. Davl22

Trader

Yes! I remember it being killer. Also, I was so excited a NH brewery was actually collabing with such a well known mixed-ferm-centric out of state brewery. I had such high hopes for Blue Lobster and Deciduous in the earlier days. I’m sure Deciduous still makes delicious beer, but my buck will always favor towards newbies making saison/farmhouse/wilds.

11. Amendm

Amendm Champion (841) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

Nothing fancy here, just a tried and true favorite. Saison from Allagash Brewing Co.

Light bodied and lemony with a hint of grassy funk. Bright and clean with an almost crisp finish.

Great idea for an activity thread, and a happy revisit for me.

Cheers.

[​IMG]

12. mrmattosgood

Trader

I have to admit:

The Jackie O’s was hands down the best of the night. Nice muted acidity, some depth and wood character. We were really happy with it.

The Shire farmhouse was good. Solid banana/clove thing going on. Nothing gonna get you screaming from the mountaintops but a good option.

At last, the Fantome. I have to be honest. Least favorite of the night. Maybe it’s the size (8% is bigger than 99% of my drinking). Flavor was great. A little more robust I think than what I was looking for tonight.

13. Amendm

Amendm Champion (841) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

I bought this at a large bottle shop. No research, no date on the label, just grabbed it. To my surprise this bottle has to be at least 13 months old and it's retired.

So I got out my oldest mug and had at it.
    Did I screw up and waste my time and money, nope. I can tell it's old but Brett Beers usually do not come off as fresh to me due to the funk. I normally would not review a known old Beer but in this case I made an exception, because I enjoyed it too much and gave it a good score.

Swift&Changeable from Honest Weight Artisan Beer of scenic Orange Massachusetts.

[​IMG]

4.39/5 rDev +0.2%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A very easy pour is needed to keep the head from going over two fat fingers of rich, creamy and rocky white foam. Very long retention and sticky rings and blotches of lace. Very hazy yellow straw color, can't read through it.

Mild smell of peach and grapes that have soured, a faint musty funk in the background with fresh cut grass. Wheat as toast and a general graininess with lemon and sour apples emerges.

Moderately tart and sour, spicy bitterness comes on late. Semi-dry, soured fruits provide a hint of potential sweetness.
    Just enough pale malt balances the tart/sour taste and reminds me that this is an Ale, a little yeast is noticeable.
    The Brett flavor is mellow, not as funky as the smell, slight barnyard and silage. Alcohol is very well hidden.

Medium-light bodied, plentiful lasting carbonation per style. Smooth and session-able lively feel with a nice balance to a somewhat complex brew. I must note that this Beer is at least 13 months old and unfortunately retired at this time.

ChicagoJ, AlcahueteJ, Kozaka and 8 others like this.
  14. StoutElk_92

Society

For a second there I thought that might've had lobsters in it... There's not many out there like Saison dell'Aragosta from Oxbow.

matthewp, Amendm and mrmattosgood like this.
  15. mrmattosgood

Trader

I wrote about that beer. Cool backstory. Needless to say, it'd be great to be there on brew day.

Amendm and StoutElk_92 like this.
  16. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Devotee (432) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

How have I missed this thread before now?! I can't believe no one has stripped me of my username... I'll be in next week with a recent de la Senne collab waiting for me.

Now, I see a couple of you stateside have Glazen Toren in cans, so I have to be jealous, b/c I'm pretty near Erpe-Mere and can only get 75cl bottles (and not many places is it a given that I'll find it).

Dimidiata, ChicagoJ, SABERG and 8 others like this.
  17. ManforallSaisons

Didn't we trade posts about this exact point not long ago, Spidey? Anyway, by its true ethos (I'm laughing as I type this, not to worry, but the sentiment is real) a saison should be a workaday beer.

AlcahueteJ, Sheppard, MrOH and 4 others like this.
  18. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,480) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Ya I'm definitely on board with that, and there are a few brewers here doing that (vivant in Michigan, henhouse out here in California, Allagash in Maine) but unfortunately most folks making them in the US seem to view them as a high end luxury style

19. StoutElk_92

Society

Another saison for me this weekend from Trillium, this one more fresh and not wild or oak aged, but open fermented. The Row34 restaurant collab, Saison du Row.

[​IMG]

Brewery notes:
    Cheers! :beers: and a salute to Saisons

20. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,589) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

OHHHH that’s the beer you guys are talking about. I remember really digging that Saison (d'Erpe-Mere). I also recall it being super expensive for a four pack of 11.2 oz. (I think 11.2?) cans.

Haha, I loved this analogy.

I might try to find some Hennepin for this thread. It’s been FOREVER since I’ve had that beer, and it was one of the first craft beers I ever had. Really opened my eyes back in 2004 or 2005, whenever I first had it.

21. Kozaka

Kozaka Defender (623) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I’ll add another this weekend. Random trip to Whole Foods this morning and came across 5/18 four pack. Only other time I had this was late at night, stumbling around Newport with my wife. Couldn’t tell you my original thoughts.

[​IMG]

Moderate clove, little bit chalky; hay, subtle orange and pepper. Flavor is timid; some clove, light citrus zest, dry spiciness. Somewhat gritty, unforgettable finish; not very effervescent.

Help me out, BA. Nose was the best trait of this beer. It was still enjoyable, maybe high 3s if I rated. Three more bottles to drink so perhaps I’ll be able to offer a positive update.

22. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,799) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Here's a post of mine from last weekend's New Beer thread; I may as well re-post because I'm enjoying another can right now :wink::grin:, and it seem to tie in with the discussion of what to expect from a "common and affordable" take on the style:

[​IMG]
    Catskill Cemetery Pool, a 7.1% saison.

ChicagoJ, SFACRKnight, SABERG and 7 others like this.
  23. mrmattosgood

Trader

I’m having the last of my Allagash saison right now after I surprised the family with lobsters for dinner, I think I’m doing this right.

matthewp, ChicagoJ, SABERG and 6 others like this.
  24. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Devotee (413) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

just looked, 51 of the top 100 saisons here come from 3 breweries: Side Project, Casey Brewing & Blending, and Hill Farmstead.

This one makes the list at 93. Haven't had one for awhile; was actually looking for a Crooked Stave which they were out of, when I settled for this. Glad I did.
    [​IMG]
    Very citrus-y, I had forgotten that.

25. Stormfield

Stormfield Initiate (170) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Wonderful beer. They make wonderfully nuanced, balanced beer at Honest Weight. Swift & Changeable was (is) terrific. I’m thinking that’s a good bit older than 13 months old, but I can’t remember.

Sheppard, mrmattosgood and Amendm like this.
  26. mrmattosgood

Trader

This is not to take away from HF, SP, or Casey who all make amazing beers, but I have long held onto the theory that most of these ratings are coming from people who are judging the beer by who makes it. Surely those three have earned many of the spots on that top 100, but to make up 50% of it is wild.

I like Tank 7 enough, but it's not my favorite. I really, really like Boulevard's Brett Saison.

Raj, ChicagoJ, MrOH and 3 others like this.
  27. mrmattosgood

Trader

And if you add the HF offshoot Grassroots (3) and then Sante (6) that makes up 60% of the list. The fact that Trillium has twice as many "top 100" saisons as Oxbow and Allagash combined makes my last point stronger.

28. zid

zid Meyvn (1,203) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

The reason for this is that the cans are filled in the US by the importer after the beer is transported in a larger tanker. While there are some advantages to that format over a 75cl bottle, if you can actually find the 75cl bottles in a reasonably fresh state (and are actually packaged by the brewer no less), then there's no need to be jealous. The cans aren't easy to come by in the US (and are expensive) and any bottles over here are typically ancient.

29. ManforallSaisons

OK, thanks, I feel better, but still thirsty

30. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Devotee (413) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

me too. but this 4 pack was priced pretty well and they didn't have the Brett. Another "clean" saison I like but which was unavailable at the store where I stopped is Funkwerks original green label Saison...

SFACRKnight and mrmattosgood like this.
  31. AlcahueteJ

Society

Fuck I miss Portland.

3 years is an ideal age for that beer, nicely done. How was it?

Sheppard and Davl22 like this.
  32. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,344) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

Blackberry Farm Classic Saison is available in NJ. I've seen 750 mL bottles before, but I just checked the website of the store I go to often and they're actually showing 6-pack cans.

ChicagoJ, KentT and Sheppard like this.
  33. Davl22

Trader

Delicious as always, I wish it was easier to get. The only alternative I enjoy as much is De Dolle Oerbier.

keithmurray and AlcahueteJ like this.
  34. AlcahueteJ

Society

I've only had it once, brought it back from Belgium (Brussels) like you.

I don't rate often, but I have rated the "big 3" of Westvleteren 12, Rochefort 10, and St. Bernardus 12.

Apparently I liked St. Bernardus the most, and thankfully that's incredibly easy to get.

Davl22 and Stormfield like this.
  35. Davl22

Trader

I’ve always wanted to do that comparison to see which one I enjoyed the most. I’ll have to trade for some bottles in the future.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  36. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (12,200) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri
    Society

#SaisonTuesday right now for me with the best beer in the world...Boulevard Tank 7.

37. MightyTrustKrusher

MightyTrustKrusher Initiate (76) Nov 5, 2014 New Jersey

Huh, I haven't seen anything from them yet. I got some while across the border in PA. I'll be on the lookout then.

38. mrmattosgood

Trader

Just got home from the store, where I picked up a four pack of the new Allagash violette saison, made with low bush blueberries. Add a From Beyond (Oxbow) and a Pure Project Lief and we got ourselves a nice #saisonsaturday.

matthewp, SABERG, AlcahueteJ and 5 others like this.
  39. mrmattosgood

Trader

It’s #SaisonSaturday ... What’s everyone waiting for?!

40. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,483) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Yard work complete, this is Saturday’s offering from 2 great brewers.
    Some citrus rime in the nose, but offset with excellent grain expression.
    Dusty and dry finish, with a supporting kick of Lemondrop.
    Do good
    Be well
    [​IMG]