A Top 100 Retired Beers?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by starrdogg, Nov 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starrdogg

starrdogg Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia

Beers seem to be getting retired with more frequency these days, so I was wondering if people would like to see a Top 100 Retired Beers, or perhaps a list that includes both retired and un-retired beers. I'd love to see how the new beers match up against the old classics. This wouldn't replace any of the current Top 100 lists, but would add a new one to the mix. Thoughts?

Paccamacca, pmarlowe, kevanb and 2 others like this.
  2. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Champion (893) Dec 29, 2006 Australia
    Trader

Definitely would like to see this.

They don't appear in the Top Lists of the styles or regions which makes sense.

As far as i can tell, the only way to search for the top retired beers is to know what they are and search by name.

3. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2011 Illinois

I've been wanting one for quite sometime. I would imagine the coding for filtering beers with a retired status wouldn't be too hard, but then again I don't know shit about coding.

Gushue3 likes this.
  4. cfrances33

cfrances33 Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2012 Illinois

I would like to see a Top 100 Retired, and a Top 100 All Time (combined top 100 including both retired and active beer with the same review # criteria to make the list/weight as necessary).

It is very frustrating to not know about many of the best beers because they are retired. It took me a random FT to learn about Lente... that's just not right.

AutumnBeerLove likes this.
  5. BigCheese

BigCheese Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2009 Massachusetts

Not hard at all, but theres only 1 programmer I believe. I'm guessing hes spending the majority of his time developing a Beeradvocate app. Sounds like a good idea though.

6. WillCarrera

WillCarrera Initiate (0) Oct 11, 2010 Ohio

I would also really like to see both of these lists.

cfrances33 likes this.
  7. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2009 Illinois

This list did exist, Thorpe did the programming if i remember correctly, but it had to be recalculated every few weeks to stay accurate since it was not integrated, but it was awesome.

I think it was sometime around 2010 that this list was around.

8. Jugs_McGhee

Jugs_McGhee Poo-Bah (9,741) Aug 15, 2010 Louisiana
    Society Trader

I'd love to see this. Still, I don't expect it to happen.

9. Auror

Auror Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts

I believe the Bros have stated their opinion on this

Kopfschuss likes this.
  10. WillCarrera

I'm not sure I agree with it having "little value," nor do I see the harm in having one more list anyway; if there's a Top New Beer list why can't there be a Top Old Beer list? I understand that it doesn't have the same immediate utility as a new beer list, in that you can't go out and buy most of the best retired beers, but I think it would still be interesting for most users just to have available just for the sake of knowledge, and would help people learn more about some of the older, almost historical beers.

immobilisme, AgentZero and starrdogg like this.
  11. pmarlowe

pmarlowe Meyvn (1,355) Nov 27, 2010 Virginia

How exactly does a beer get retired?

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock is on the list but hasn't been brewed since 2007. Is it just whenever one of the mods feels like retiring a beer? Or the amount of time elapsed since last review?

12. WillCarrera

I thought it was supposed to be after a beer hasn't been brewed in one year, but some beers manage to stay up for longer, like I'm pretty sure Dirty Horse hasn't been brewed within the last year but it's still on the top 100 list. It's not based on most recent review; Lente gets reviewed pretty often but hasn't been brewed since 2010 so it's listed as retired.

pmarlowe likes this.
  13. kscaldef

kscaldef Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2010 Oregon

More than a year since released, and some evidence it's not being made again. The Armands were always a one time thing, so they are being aggressively retired. On the opposite side of things, some beers have a known 2 year cycle, like The Dissident, so won't be retired. Dirty Horse puzzles me, as it's only been brewed twice (and really only released once, after the second brewing, as best I understand), and I don't think that the fact that they continue to trickle out kegs of it ought to matter. However, I have learned that the rules around here are far from rational.

14. abraxel

abraxel Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2009 Michigan

I'm pretty sure it gets retired when someone submits a change request and says that it's retired, ideally citing the brewer(y) saying they plan never to brew it again. There's not a hard and fast rule, to my knowledge.

As for Kuhnhenn, they've said multiple times that they're planning to release a new batch of Raspberry Eisbock at some point in the indeterminate future, but don't have any more details than that. Just this morning someone asked about it on their facebook page and they responded "We are trying.....no promises." I think vague statements like that are just barely enough to keep it from being marked retired on BA.

15. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

A list of retired beers? Why - so I can re-live what I missed the first time? No thanks.

16. AutumnBeerLove

AutumnBeerLove Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2010 Vermont

Sounds like everyone first needs the BA definition of a retired beer.

17. kscaldef

kscaldef Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2010 Oregon

Just because you wouldn't find it valuable / interesting doesn't mean no one would.

I think it's pretty hard to justify the Bottom of the List being a valuable addition to the site, but not a top retired / all-time beers.

gcamparone and brystmar like this.
  18. eawolff99

eawolff99 Meyvn (1,148) May 10, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

I was wondering if there's a way to sort all of the beers catalogued on BA by BA score (for example...I'd love to be able to see what all of the 100 rated beers are, retired or not) but can't figure out a way to do it.

Obviously the Top 250 helps -- but for example, it'd be cool to see that BA Batch 9000 is a 100 rated beer with a lot of reviews, just is retired so won't make any lists. I'd like to see what else is out there like that...

If anyone has any thoughts, that'd be great! Thanks!

19. Todd

Todd Founder (6,206) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

(Threads merged. Duplicate topic.)

This has been brought up a few times in the past. It has nothing to do with coding, but rather that we currently have no desire to add this to the site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.