A Whole New Style of Pilsner

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by steveh, Jul 18, 2019.

1. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,226) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

https://punchdrink.com/articles/your-move-german-pilsner-beer-tipopils/

Okay... dry-hopping a beer now produces new styles within styles? All those dry-hopped Pale Ales and IPAs need to step up their marketing games.

I especially like:
    Take that you Jever fans! :grin: (and no, I don't agree with author Kennedy's little editorial comment)

Listing FW Pivo Pils as an "Italian Pils to try" is rather humorous too.

I think I'm finally sliding over to the opinion that we need to stop attempting to categorize every beer now.

Ranbot, Amendm, PABrewReview and 19 others like this.
  2. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,041) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

I really enjoy Double Dry Hopped New England Italian style Pilsners.

3. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (209) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I'm just waiting for the Juicy Hazy Quadruple Dry Hopped Sour Milkshake Pilsner so we all get bingo on our "what dumb shit will they come up with next" cards.

flat_lander, TNGriff, Zorro and 28 others like this.
  4. rgordon

rgordon Savant (959) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

With one exception: In the category Mundane Pilsner, Jever leads the pack..........

surfcaster and Roguer like this.
  5. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (1,932) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I was not aware of this beer's long existence or influence on others. I have only seen it in NYC, but have not tried it because it is very expensive, unlike the mass-produced, mundane, Jever :rolling_eyes:

6. invertalon

invertalon Crusader (765) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

I wonder if that is what I had from Other Half yesterday (Crickets)... Whatever it was, it was horrible. They somehow made a 'classic' Pilsner brewed with Tettnang and Hallertau taste gross.

DDH-NE-IP could catch on!

7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,096) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Adding the step of dry hopping does not create a new Pilsner style.

While it may not be popular in Germany, even beers brewed in Germany can be dry hopped. One example is the brewery of Zum Uerige which dry hop versions of their Altbier (Sticke and Dopplesticke).

Tipopils is a very tasty beer and I would recommend it to folks who have the financial wherewithal to purchase this beer (a 4-pack of 12 ounce cans cost me over 22 bucks).

I discussed Tipopils in a past New Beer Sunday thread:

"Overall:

In one word: excellent. This beer is artfully balanced between the malt flavors (bready) and hop flavors (floral/citrusy -> herbal). The way this beer transitions from floral/citrusy to more of an herbal flavor profile produces an enticing beer.

This beer most certainly has the quality that Germans would describe using the word süffig (drinkable). I wonder if there is a word in Italian that adequately captures this as well?

[​IMG]

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/new-beer-sunday-week-707.587481/#post-6168846

Cheers!

8. AlcahueteJ

Would that go in the "American Lager" category?

IPAExpert69, FBarber and stevepat like this.
  9. AlcahueteJ

I wonder what the Italian and German words are for "expensive"?

10. JackHorzempa

Society

In Germany it is probably "craft bier"?:thinking_face:

Cheers!

@Snowcrash000

11. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,511) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Me, too:

Birrificio Italiano Tipopils Dry-hopped German Pilsner
    12 oz can, brewed in Italy and dry hopped and canned in Oxford, CT.
    (if I read the label correctly)

IBU: 35
    ABV: 5.2%

[​IMG]

Fresh, zesty aroma. Bright lemony hops and yeast.

Yellow, somewhat hazy appearance. Vigorous bubbles rising to a 1 inch white thick, creamy head, receding fairly quickly, but unevenly. Very thick residuals from the head cling to the side of the pilsner glass. Plentiful bubbles rising.

Moderate to thin body.

Nice bready flavor, with a brightening from the hops. Bitterness begins in the middle, continuing on through the finish and into a nicely bitter, lingering aftertaste. Despite the "dry hopped" aspect, it is well balanced. Solid bready malts, nicely bitter, good hops flavor and aroma.

It's a bit past its prime, but still good. I'll have to keep an eye out for fresher ones in the future. Fresh, it might very well be outstanding.

L: 3.75 | S: 4 | T: 3.75 | F: 3.5 | O: 3.75 | BA: 3.79

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/new-beer-sunday-week-743.614506/page-2#post-6501377

12. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,330) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

It's not a schwarzbier, it's a Canadian dark pilsner.

eppCOS, 5thOhio, spicoli00 and 3 others like this.
  13. JackHorzempa

Society

I would strongly recommend that you seek out a fresh Tipopils. The beer I discussed in NBS was very fresh. For some stupid reason I 'lost track' of the last can of the 4-pack in my fridge. That last can was about 4 months old when I consumed it and while still an enjoyable beer it was indeed 'diminished' in comparison to the fresh cans.

Cheers!

meefmoff, MNAle and AlcahueteJ like this.
  14. MFMB

MFMB Meyvn (1,036) Jan 23, 2015 Idaho

No Pastry Pils no care! Picture yourself throwing back a carrot cake Pilsner :beers: :+1:

Definitely a fan of hoppy Pilsners like Qualify from Suarez. Not sure if its similar to what is discussed in the article tho.

Cheers

15. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,824) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

Well, if it is a new style, Neuweiler's came first (circa 1960s):
    [​IMG]
    Neuweiler was a 100-200k bbl. brewery at the time, with an extensive top-fermenting portfolio (India Pale Ale, Premium Ale, Stock Ale, Cream Ale, Half & Half, Porter and Stout) along with brewing their flagship Lager, a Münchner and an all-malt Bock. One of their slogans was "Where Everything is Brewed".

Other dry-hopped US lagers included Lockport Premium (Lockport Brewing Co., PA) and Souvenier Beer (Renner Brewing Co., Akron, OH - another brewer with a few ales among its brands).

16. AlcahueteJ

I hate how all the B. United cans just have a sticker on the plastic can holders, but not the cans themselves.

I'll usually just carefully remove the sticker and put it on the bottom of one of the cans, and drink that one last.

rhino88888888, frozyn and MNAle like this.
  17. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (130) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

Central Waters made a "brut pilsner" that was absolutely wonderful in all its dry-finishing crushable glory. Does that count as a new style of pilsner if brut IPA counts as a new IPA substyle?

18. JackHorzempa

Society

JK, do you have any information in your archive about the AB beer of Faust Lager as brewed 130+ years ago?

"Senior St. Louis brewmaster Joel Boisselle, a 26-year veteran of the company in a bright blue Bud Light polo shirt, joins the table, swirling a tall glass of amber beer. He's holding a pint of Faust -- not a 130-year-old Faust, thankfully, but one from a batch brewed just recently, using the old recipes in the archives and the same strain of yeast that has been creating Budweiser lager since its inception. Boisselle also used dry hopping to hit what he calls "the sweet spot."

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/foo...130-year-old-beer-named-for-a-st-louis-legend

Was the original Faust Lager dry hopped?

Cheers!

@Peter_Wolfe

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  19. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,315) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

That Tipopils was good, but shit, not $20/4 pack 12 oz. Cans good. I'm good with $5.99/ 4 ok 16.9 oz cans of Konig, thank you very much.

And if I'm splurging, I'll go with Rothaus at 16/ sixer still much cheaper than Tipopils

herrburgess and AlcahueteJ like this.
  20. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,824) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

Yeah, AB's Faust brand has been revived several time (discussed in the thread Anheuser-Busch Resurrects Faust ) but I've never seen any reference to it being dry-hopped. The AB promotional material in the late 1880s about their beers mostly concentrates on Tony Faust's restaurant, rather than the beer itself, which is describe only as "(a) light, brilliant, winey beverage...":

beertunes, AlcahueteJ and alucard6679 like this.
  21. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (266) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

Huh??
    Some breweries want all the credit. Some just quietly do it.

Locally we have Marble brewery who does a wonderful German style pilsner. It's won many WBC and GABF medals. On the side of their can, it says dry hopped and unfiltered.

Dry hopping can be as little as an ounce and as much as 9 lbs/ BBL, for bigger styles.

That brewery has been around 11 years now. They never once had to hype up it's unfiltered or dry hopping levels.

I compare the marble beer favorably against pick, so I'm glad that's listed. I just never considered this a subset or new style or Italian style? If anything, a hoppy pilsner, or the way they taste fresh in Germany.

22. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,330) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Marble is one of the breweries I wish had never pulled out of Denver.

eppCOS, beergoot and denver10 like this.
  23. JackHorzempa

Society

Maybe we should call this 'new' Pilsner Style New Mexican Pilsner!?!:confused:

Cheers!

officerbill, FBarber and stevepat like this.
  24. jcos

jcos Devotee (478) Nov 23, 2009 Maryland
    Society

Is that North, East, South or West New England?

meefmoff, stevepat and AlcahueteJ like this.
  25. MNAle

Society

Wouldn't East New England be Old England? :wink:

Ranbot, SFACRKnight, meefmoff and 3 others like this.
  26. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (1,967) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

Their 1838 Altbier is dry-hopped as well, with Galaxy and Cascade, no less. At least it used to be, not sure if they still use Galaxy.

It's certainly true that there is almost no such thing as cheap, or even reasonably priced, craft beer in Germany, the big exception being the Stone Berlin stuff at 2/3€ for a 12/16oz can. Too bad you can never find it fresh...

There are a few reasonably priced brands available at some supermarkets, but they are always really old and most of them are not great to begin with. You want good craft beer in Germany you gotta go to a bottle shop and pay through the nose for it...

AlcahueteJ and JackHorzempa like this.
  27. JackHorzempa

Society

And that is our situation in the US as regards the European beers that are canned by B. United in their facility in Connecticut. I suppose we could just say "no" here? I have done this within the context of future purchases of Tipopils - over 20 bucks for a 4-pack of 12 ounce cans is too high for me.

Maybe Marble Brewing needs to step up their promotional game here?:wink: @Oktoberfiesta

Cheers!

28. Hanglow

Hanglow Crusader (786) Feb 18, 2012 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Tipopils is indeed a very tasty beer, unfortunately Italian beer is rather expensive here too.

beergoot, FBarber and AlcahueteJ like this.
  29. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (1,967) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

I'm talking about the German options here though... The stuff from the good German craft breweries like FrauGruber, Blech.Brut, Kehrwieder, Buddelship. etc. is like 3-4€ for a 12oz can and 5-6€ for a 16oz can. That's like the same kind of prices that the hyped US breweries charge for their NEIPAs. European imports aren't even that much more expensive...

Sure,when you can get some American imports they are pretty expensive, but nowhere near as expensive as the ridiculous prices I've seen quoted for German beer in the states here, sometimes at a 700% mark-up.

American beers in Germany usually have a 50-100% mark-up. For example, I was able to buy Perennial Sump for 22€ and Epic Big Bad Baptist for 15€.

#29 Snowcrash000, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  30. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (2,672) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

ISO.

AlcahueteJ and jcos like this.
  31. AlcahueteJ

So a really dry and hoppy Pilsner?

Just sounds like Jever to me.

Are those double dry hopped with Fuggles?

32. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (1,702) Sep 15, 2014 New York

Yeah, a dry-hopped pilsner isn't a new style, but they are tasty. I prefer all pilsners dry-hopped, to be honest. It adds so much more aroma, and I think that's why Pivo is still my favorite pilsner.

Don't tell Omnipollo!

For real. Someone released a beer recently--I think it may have been Lagunitas, not sure--that was described as a "dark" or "black pilsner." My reaction was "Uhhhh...that's called a Schwärzbier."

33. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,076) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

Based on a beer I almost bought today I don't think you're that far off. The description on the can for Singlecut Hop Sounds said it was a dry-hopped Kölsch. The 4-pack was $10.99 so I thought I'd give it a shot (most Singlecut beers are significantly more expensive so I don't buy them). I was looking for the ABV on the can and then right next to it in small font it said "CONTAINS LACTOSE." Yeah, no thanks. I put the 4-pack right back in the fridge where I found it.

34. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Savant (922) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Another -

35. MNAle

Society

That makes me want to write my Representative to have her sponsor a bill to make the Kölsch Konvention law in the USA! :rolling_eyes:

36. MNAle

Society

UGGH! :grimacing:

But, upon reflection, I suppose it is no more an offense to the pilsner style than Miller Lite is!
    [​IMG]

37. JackHorzempa

Society

That wouldn't be Omar perchance!?!:grimacing:

Cheers!

38. MNAle

Society

Luckily, no. Angie Craig.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  39. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (263) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I just wanted to say that Victory's dry hopped Homegrown Lager is damn good. That is all. :wink:

Reef likes this.
  40. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (130) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

I have no idea about the hopping of CW's Crew Drive and only mentioned it since the topic was new styles of pilsners. I would not describe it as hoppy at all but it nails that whole crushable dryness thing well enough that I burned through a case of it (and am normally a one-purchase-&-done ticker). Seems like if a Brut IPA is a style then shouldn't a Brut Pils also be one even if a DDH pils is not?

AlcahueteJ likes this.