AB-InBev plans to screw beer cans together to reduce its plastic waste

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Snowcrash000, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (1,967) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

https://www.packagingnews.com.au/beverage/corona-tightens-the-screws-on-plastic-waste

2. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,084) Sep 24, 2007 Northern Mariana Islands
    Trader

Hmm......

PatrickCT and GreenBayBA like this.
  3. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,395) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Society Trader

And I was just thinking.. if only they would get rid of this plastic packaging, I would buy more Corona Extra....

TJM, lucius10, DrOfGolf and 27 others like this.
  4. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,555) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

This has to be an early April Fool's day video. I know that the idea is less packaging, but I'm think that to make these stay together they'll be using more aluminum for that lip and it will need to be thick to keep from bending. So, while no external packaging, it looks like more aluminum.

And is ABInBev enough a team player to not patent it so anyone can use the design? They talk about other brands and markets, but I suspect that means their brands and markets.

5. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Meyvn (1,024) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

Honestly, this is genius. Not only are there benefits in lightening the plastic waste load, but it basically allows consumers flexibility in how much beer they want to purchase. Now I'm not going to go out and purchase Corona extra, but if they find success than other brewers will follow. Imagine the mix X-pack possibilities.

6. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,865) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Plastic ends up in the ocean, cans recycle, hows this not a positive?

7. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,235) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Is there something wrong with the recycling industry that I'm missing? I know certain materials simply aren't profitable, and some centers (and states) have moved away from them, so maybe that's a factor. @cavedave ?

I know you can't force an American to recycle, but it seems like this is a problem that should be easy to tackle.

Also, just put your beers in cardboard six packs, like Creature Comforts, Scofflaw, etc. No plastic packaging.

8. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Disciple (376) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Society

I was just gonna post that the video reminded me of one of the April Fools jokes we see from breweries.

9. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,942) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Yes there's a plastic waste disposal problem.

https://www.plasticpollutioncoaliti...-countries-with-poor-waste-management-in-2018

10. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,096) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

But is there sufficient space between cans to store the lime wedges?:confused:

Cheers!

11. islay

islay Aspirant (278) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

Who wants to drink unskunked Corona?

In seriousness, I like it. I wouldn't bet on it catching on in the industry, but I'm not ruling it out. The plastic connectors are indeed wasteful, and I like that this technology gives customers the ability to buy exactly as many cans as they want. If this does catch on in craft beer, singles buyers like myself may get a lot more fresh options at a lot more places. Interesting tactic by AB InBev to make the design open-source.

KentT, DrOfGolf, RobNewton and 3 others like this.
  12. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,745) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Lol this video looks so fake.

Scrapss, bbtkd and GreenBayBA like this.
  13. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Crusader (781) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

Unfortunately, just a drop in the (ever warming, sea level rising) ocean

14. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,459) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

How do I carry a 12-pack home? The customer is inconvenienced to handle individual cans and may have to use extra plastic bags at the grocery store to transport these cans home. All that's done is remove the plastic issue from AB-InBev to the plastic bag mfgr and the store.

15. Foyle

Foyle Champion (895) Sep 29, 2007 North Carolina

Better bring a friend if you plan to buy a case. A 12 pack in each hand would be pretty unwieldy. :grin:

16. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (263) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

It depends on how deep into the rabbit hole you want to go, as if this design uses more aluminum = a higher tax on the environment. But IMO less plastic is never a bad thing.

I think the biodegradable and animal edible packages have a brighter future and seems like a great compromise:

https://www.craftbeer.com/editors-picks/saltwater-brewery-creates-edible-six-pack-rings

2ellas, AlcahueteJ, JA_26 and 5 others like this.
  17. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

So if I want a 12 pack I screw 12 cans together and carry out like a staff? Lol probably not hard pass.

dcarr66, Raime, VoxRationis and 2 others like this.
  18. nc41

Trader

There’s other options obviously besides plastic, but the goal here sounds strictly like no extra packaging.

19. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

So how do you get 3 cases home for your backyard BBQ? LOL this is the dumbest idea to date. It will never be used. Not sure how you drink out of the can either with that massive lip, also dirty. The dirty bottom can screw into the top for a tasty beer. The entire idea is flawed.

20. nc41

Trader

A screw together case might be a bit unwieldy, looks like in smaller volume it’s feasible. I think it’s a cool idea, but honestly alternative recyclable materials is probably more feasible and generally useful. Cardboard is already recyclable so not sure for case volume how you can beat the simplicity.

21. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

That is why I think its a gimmick you can put 24 cans in a cardboard case and done. Simple, small footprint, etc. This would never take off and no one would use it, its just dumb to be honest.

22. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

I don't expect it's meant to replace the cardboard 12 and 24 packs. It appears to be meant to replace the plastic 6 pack and 4 pack holders.

BuffaloBill12 and nc41 like this.
  23. Todd

Todd Founder (5,646) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew

We didn't even have to create a meme. They did it for us.

24. officerbill

officerbill Disciple (303) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society

A 12oz can is 5" tall (12.7cm for you foreigners :wink:) so a “10 pack” of Corona would be 50” (4'2", 1.27m).
    Yeah, I can see me carrying that around.

DrOfGolf, VoxRationis, dcotom and 3 others like this.
  25. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

I personally look forward to YouTube videos of drunken idiots jousting with stacks of empties....

DrOfGolf, Scrapss, Beer_Stan and 8 others like this.
  26. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,824) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

Don't ya hate it when you go and pick out 4 or 6 cans from the singles shelf and then they don't screw together because the imports are metric thread and the US cans are standard :grimacing:!

Carlsberg in the UK is gluing their sixpacks together (but still use some plastic for a handle).

Pre-plastic ring, cans in sixpacks came in a (100% recyclable) cardboard wrap
    [​IMG]
    and some brewers are still using boxes, etc. I suppose some of them don't hold up well from the condensation in some refrigerated sections.

I do think it's odd that so many craft brewers are using those hard plastic
    PAKTECH holders. Seems like they're a lot more plastic that the old rings but I guess different type of plastic and/or not dangerous to wildlife? Supposedly they're "recyclable" but my town won't take them. When they first came out I swear I read a local brewer say they'd buy 'em back for a nickel a piece but now they say they'll "recycle them for you". Great, I've got 3 or 4 beer cases full of them (@5¢ ea., I was hoping to make a killing on "free" beer!) in the cellar but I'm not driving 30 miles to recycle them (think of the fossil fuel I'd burn!).

Those Corona cans won't see the US market, of course, since AB doesn't brew Corona for the US, the Constellation-owned Mexican breweries do. I see numerous stories about these cans in the US press, but they don't seem to mention that.

#26 jesskidden, Jun 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    Scrapss, SFACRKnight, tzieser and 7 others like this.
  27. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,235) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Now if only they could come up with some way to shotgun up to 10 cans at a time... :rolling_eyes:

Scrapss, GreenBayBA and officerbill like this.
  28. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

LOL that is a great pic.

DrOfGolf and VoxRationis like this.
  29. nc41

Trader

A ready made cannon too.

dcotom likes this.
  30. Todd

Todd Founder (5,646) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew

The design is open-source, so it'll be interesting to see if others attempt to use it.

31. officerbill

officerbill Disciple (303) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society

Focusing on what's truly important :beers:

32. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (266) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

As previously mentioned, I don’t see this working in any format larger than 4 individual cans.

Cans and cardboard, I’m seeing a lot of.
    Paktech and cans as well. I have hundreds of those plastic rings. No one wants them.

It’s your soda companies that still use the old style plastic rings for their bottles. Biggest culprit isn’t beer anymore. It’s the soda companies.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  33. Claude-Irishman

Claude-Irishman Crusader (719) Jun 4, 2015 New Jersey
    Society

Sounds like a weak link in the canning process- Corona is lame anyway, unless you are really hot and thirsty,( which holds true for every other cold non- toxic watery beverage)

GreenBayBA likes this.
  34. nw2571

nw2571 Initiate (44) Feb 26, 2017 Indiana

Beer stores will need to have those lumber carrying carts like they have at Lowe's. I'll take 8 ft of Bud heavy, please.

KentT, DrOfGolf, dfillius and 7 others like this.
  35. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

H
    lol will require a team lift sticker.

DrOfGolf, dfillius and nw2571 like this.
  36. bbtkd

Society Trader

My father-in-law used to burn plastic in his wood furnace when he wanted to heat the house up quickly. He'd throw in some wood, then throw some 2-liter jugs in with it. Obviously you wouldn't want to breathe the fumes, but he lived out in the country and the cows never complained.

nc41 likes this.
  37. nc41

Trader

Living in the middle of the country is different, if your on a coast I’d assume that a good deal ends up on barge going out to sea. It’s sad it’s the best we we can do though is to dump big city waste into the sea. My wife’s from WVa, they burned most everything too.

LuskusDelph, bluejacket74 and bbtkd like this.
  38. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,439) Dec 25, 2003 California

Plastic in the oceans is coming from Africa and Asia, not North America or Europe.

rudzud likes this.
  39. stevepat

stevepat Defender (693) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

It's definitely coming from all of those places

40. bbtkd

Society Trader

You just know this will lead to beer javelin throwing and beer pole vaulting. :wink:

DrOfGolf, JediMasterLenin and dcotom like this.