AB InBev ridiculed in Swedish beer TV show

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by Dennoman, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennoman

Dennoman Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2011 Belgium

Swedish public television channel SVT has recorded an episode of their new beer-related TV series in Leuven, home of the AB InBev (AKA Satan's flaming asshole) HQ. The host interviews a spokesman called Jean-Jacques and calls him out to do a blind tasting to try and tell apart Stella Artois, Jupiler (our most popular domestic lager, also InBev), and some cheap Swedish canned swill. He also hits the streets to test the average Belgian's "discerning" palate.

Make sure to watch this all the way until the end. This perfectly sketches the ACTUAL beer situation in our country, so please don't think we all sip on Cantillon/3 Fonteinen/Westy all day, every day. You'll end up bitterly disappointed, and possibly fling your own poo against the wall in your insanity.

CaptainPiret, trevorjk and boddhitree like this.
  2. SStein

SStein Devotee (440) Dec 26, 2012 Colorado

I drink De Struise as well.

Dennoman and Gutes_Bier like this.
  3. Dennoman

Dolle and De La Senne, how could I forget.

4. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Devotee (458) May 19, 2011 California
    Trader

I drink Jupiter from vending machines in your rail stations - really speeds up that trip from Brussels to Brugge. Seriously, I've seen commuters pick up 3 to 4 of those bad boys at a time and pop one immediately while stuffing the rest in their jacket, apparently for the ride home.

belvedere86 and Brabander like this.
  5. Brabander

Brabander Initiate (0) Oct 10, 2009 Netherlands

And you can pee like a horse Frank!

Bierman9 likes this.
  6. Vanlingleipa

Trader

Modesty forbids me from making any further comparisons along those lines

doopiedoopiedoo and Brabander like this.
  7. Dennoman

"Please insert your ID to claim your beer. Also: please put your hand into the machine to receive your complementary ALCOHOLIC stamp."

Drinking in public may be allowed here, but you're not the first American we've had to explain that doing so in broad daylight is basically enough to attract one funny look after another. You'd be more subtle with a flashing neon ALCOHOLIC sign around your neck.

Ah yes, we are of a peculiar kind!

8. Vanlingleipa

Trader

Similarly in Amsterdam, while smoking weed in the open probably won't wind up in a arrest, my understanding is that lighting a joint in, say, a tram, is a bit like farting in public. I personally have never put either one to the test.

9. Dennoman

Weed is "condoned", but still technically illegal in Dutch law. As the dude in my avatar mentioned: "those are EVIL drugs, not the taxed ones."

riko likes this.
  10. Vanlingleipa

Trader

As long as the sale and possession of lupulin-based beverages continue to be 'tolerated,' I'll have no argument with the Dutch authorities.

11. jazzyjeff13

jazzyjeff13 Poo-Bah (4,038) Nov 6, 2010 England
    Society

I was going to post about this vid as well - saw a link to it on Facebook. It's hilarious, especially the part where Jean-Jacques tries to describe the flavour of Stella. No taste comparison because there was no water to cleanse the palate in between the beers - lololololll :grinning:

12. trevorjk

trevorjk Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2009 Netherlands

I thoroughly enjoyed this video :slight_smile: Its just as bad state side :wink:

CaptainPiret and jsboots21 like this.
  13. BelgianBeerPope

BelgianBeerPope Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2012 Belgium

Nice vid, and it's (sadly) true ! You're either Stella or Jupiler in Belgium and everybody can pick out their favourite brand ... Not ! ! ! I've done this lager test already several times @ my place, and even w/ low end supermarket lagers included, I still have to find the first person who can pick out either Jupiler and/or Stella correctly (even when they are sober :slight_smile:).

And to be honest, it's not only Jupiler vs Stella, you can stretch this also to Westvleteren 12 vs St Bernardus 12 ! There are differences for sure ! But there are only a scarce few who can really set them apart in a blind test.

Luckily for us beerlovers, the majority of people in Belgium (and I guess also the world) are label drinkers which leaves the best craft beers mostly undiscovered which, in return, leaves more for us :slight_smile: ! Cheers for that !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.