News AB InBev to import international craft beer brands in US

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by jesskidden, Jul 6, 2018.

1. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,313) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

AB InBev to import international craft beer brands in US

laketang, Bitterbill and FBarber like this.
  2. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,385) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

I assume these are breweries that are at least partially owned by AB InBev?

3. spicoli00

spicoli00 Zealot (583) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

About five years ago you could get the Cervejaria Colorado of Brazil offerings in Chicago, draft and bottles.

4. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (235) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

Perception of choice. I hope these aren't just shoved down our throats as the ab distributors try to bump out local and regional competition.

If the beer is good, I'm all in favor of more choices. But free open choices.

Never heard of any of these breweries. If they are truly better of the options out there, I don't see it as a totally bad idea. But if they're muddling with 'choices' like they do when they have gi IPA shoved down our throats, then I'm not too optimistic ab will do this graciously.

I give it a year before they stop importing and just make these brews in the USA. We see it with Kona and cba. Space dust is brewed in California now. They have cool imported names though. So that's as far as AB thinks the common consumer thinks

5. rgordon

rgordon Champion (837) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

"Kegs" is the interesting part. It seems to be a move against the burgeoning local draft beer phenomenon. I can't say I wouldn't like any of those beers, but I surely haven't been seeking any of them them out. I would be interested in sales methods, "inducements", and relative pricing. The lust after tap handles has been a constant as long as I can remember. Those $30 kegs (15.5 gallon) of Blatz many year ago were hard for many bars to turn down. The leverage will likely be line cleaning and other services for additional Bud draft product placements

6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,618) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Well in the commercials about investing they provide disclaimers such as: “past performance is no guarantee of future results” but in the case of AB Marketing & Sales of ABI beers I think you have reasonable concern here. They will indeed provide ‘incentives’ to the retailers.

Cheers!

russpowell likes this.
  7. Oktoberfiesta

It's slowly happening but I wonder how interested I would be in visiting a ab in Bev tap House/pub where they only feature craft beers that they own. Like a house of 100 draft beers. Or a Applebee's that only had their huge craft lineup (now including their imports). They exist already with many distributors at play for one venue. Having one distributor would make it all so easy. Is there that much backlash?

Ab doesn't seem like they want to create more taps though, just cut out the competition

I'd probably visit a house of 100 beers if I knew they were all ab inbev and they were playing their own game on their own side of the street. I don't know. Just thinking out loud.

FBarber likes this.
  8. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,039) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium

I only ever heard of Bell-Vue. I didn't know that they hadn't been imported to the US already.

cavedave and beertunes like this.
  9. rgordon

rgordon Champion (837) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I'd rather go back in time to the old Young's pubs, brewed at the old Ram Brewery. Anyway, there's no shortage of great beers and being overly nostalgic is fruitless.. But dammit, I miss Young's Oatmeal Stout., just having those bottles in the fridge.

10. GrumpyGas

GrumpyGas Meyvn (1,167) Apr 7, 2009 Illinois

Why else would they do this?
    The 'choice' will be sold as international and welcoming and new and different and better and AB!

11. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,258) Dec 25, 2003 California

Would be nice if they brought Steinlager back to the USA.

FBarber and laketang like this.
  12. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,999) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

How desperate of them given that they're losing market share. Not sure if buying craft breweries has worked out, but perhaps importing good beers might.

WhiteHart likes this.
  13. JackHorzempa

Premium

FWIW I think you have a valid overall sentiment here. I question whether the beers being discussed here fit with the aspect of "good beers". Of course the AB Marketing & Sales folks might think these beers a are 'good enough' if properly promoted?

Cheers!

14. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,999) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

And - I wonder if the foreign brewers need AB. Why associate themselves with AB when they could make other arrangements?

15. Oktoberfiesta

I havent looked at the other breweries, but for the Canadian brewery, Labatt bought them a few years ago. And who owns labatt?

They aren't importing regular 'craft' breweries from international markets. They appear to have some stake in all of them.

If I'm not being clear enough, they are basically importing the likes of four peaks and goose island back into America and trying to pawn that crap onto unsuspecting consumers with a pretty "INTERATIONAL CRAFT BEER" label. It's really all bullshit

They may not be outright owned by AB, but there is enough controlling interest to where a import makes sense. Consumers arent smart. They need to be shown this.

bbtkd likes this.
  16. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,415) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

I still think ABI will have the last laugh when their American craft lineup makes them billions overseas. I think they are trying a lot of things, including the move detailed in OP, and will put their efforts into what works. If I owned them it's certainly what I would do.

drtth, TongoRad and bbtkd like this.
  17. JackHorzempa

Premium

Dave, I expressed a similar thought in another thread recently:

“My 'interpretation' of the marketing strategies of ABI and MillerCoors for selling their AAL beers has been a combination of inane commercials (Dilly Dilly anyone?) and new product introductions via "let's just throw something against the wall and see if it sticks" approach.”

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/whats-killing-big-american-beer.580222/#post-6086783

Cheers!

LeRose, TongoRad and cavedave like this.
  18. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,437) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

We're probably saying the same thing, but I'd say that their main strategy is diversification, but if something becomes a big hit all the better.

Ranbot, cavedave, drtth and 1 other person like this.
  19. JackHorzempa

Premium

Which a cynic may equate with a shot gunning approach.

I think it is fair to say that a top level strategy for AB is to sell more beer (or perhaps more malt beverages is a better term). Over the past few years I have had great difficulty discerning whether there is a 'theme' or a more focused 'game plan' to their approach. I was able to ascertain that their approach to entering the craft beer segment was via acquisition which sort of makes sense to me since it seems that the beer geek segment of the market would refuse to purchase a beer like an IPA that was branded as being an AB beer. But their approach elsewhere just appears haphazard to me. Their 'core' products are AAL beers such as Bud Light, Bud,.., but it seems to me like they are losing sales for these sorts of beers to imports like Corona, Modelo Especial,... Shouldn't an established company like AB which has leveraged Marketing & Sales (e.g., advertising) for so long to sell their products come up with a marketing strategy to reverse this trend? The products of Bud Light, Bud,... are not really much different from the products of Corona,...

Cheers!

20. WhiteHart

WhiteHart Initiate (32) Apr 16, 2018 North Carolina

whoa.

21. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,554) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Premium Trader

Well they are going to have to dig deep to come up with more "occasions" to classify when it is appropriate to drink these new beers. Should be interesting

sharpski and oldbean like this.
  22. Ranbot

Ranbot Zealot (531) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Some of those brands look like they might be aiming to compete more with Corona, Modelo, Tecate, Dos Equis, etc.

Well... some people like shotgunning beer... :wink: :grin:

But seriously, another way to view [or spin] this approach is it allows a product grow or fail more organically in the market. Let the public try it, and see what resonates. I like that approach better than their usual of picking one or two brands to dump millions of dollars into marketing and distribution to jam them down consumers' throats in the hope they are willing to swallow.

drtth and TongoRad like this.
  23. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,541) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Indeed, they seem that way to me as well. Already successful in their country of origin and targeted towards a particular market segment.

EvenMoreJesus, Ranbot and LeRose like this.
  24. drtth

Using a shotgun doesn't mean there isn't a specific target. Indeed, for some moving targets using a shotgun is the most effective tool available.

As for marketing/advertising your faith in the power of marketing/advertising is much greater than mine. :sunglasses:

EvenMoreJesus and TongoRad like this.
  25. JackHorzempa

Premium

My supposition is that corporations that have been in business for an extended period of time (e.g., AB) and who have consistently spent hundreds of millions of dollars per year on advertising (“AB InBev and SABMiller collectively spent $1.08 billion on U.S. measured media in 2015, according to estimates from ad-tracking firm Kantar Media.”) would not expend this amount of money if it is ineffective in selling product.

Cheers!

P.S. The above quote is from: https://www.wsj.com/articles/anheuser-busch-inbev-to-consider-ad-buying-review-for-2017-1481322105

26. drtth

Right, just as the Pentagon would not spend and spend on another new weapons system that runs billions over budget and years behind schedule. :sunglasses:

#26 drtth, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  27. JackHorzempa

Premium

That is not a good analogy. As long as the Pentagon has assured money coming in (i.e., taxpayer money) they are not compelled to be efficient and productive. Corporations like AB can not be wasteful in this manner since they have no assured revenue stream. They need to have prudent expenses since shareholders are not a forgiving lot.

Cheers!

sharpski likes this.
  28. drtth

You mean like Ford Motors and their Edsel?

https://medium.com/@shahmm/ford-edsel-brand-failure-a-design-thinking-perspective-eea92d2e90ec

Or these companies (Including Bud) and their products?

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/biggest-advertising-failures-of-all-time-4151294

29. JackHorzempa

Premium

I think you pretty much understand what I have communicated to you. From your perspective: "...your faith in the power of marketing/advertising is much greater than mine."

You position on marketing/advertising is duly noted.

Cheers!

P.S. I think it is safe to say that AB would never hire you to be in charge of their Marketing & Sales department.

30. drtth

True. They're not willing to pay my normal consulting fees.

#30 drtth, Jul 9, 2018
    EvenMoreJesus and Squire like this.
  31. JackHorzempa

Premium

Billions for advertising but not one cent for consulting!?!:thinking_face:

Cheers!

32. drtth

Oh, big companies are often willing to pay big bucks for consultants. It's actually cheaper than searching for and hiring talent and then having to pay benefits, etc. Also no HR problems are going to come up (hiring, firing, raises, etc.).

Often times a consultant will see and say things that management doesn't see (or likes to pretend they haven't seen :wink:). There's typically less flack and higher credibility when management goes along with and implements the highly paid consultant's recommendations.

(Edit: Not surprisingly the more highly paid the consultant the higher his/her credibility can be.)

#32 drtth, Jul 9, 2018