AB Inbev's Decision To Manufacture Leffe in Russia Causes Uproar: Company Explains

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Whyteboar, Aug 24, 2022.

1. Whyteboar

Whyteboar Meyvn (1,379) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Society Trader

2. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Champion (837) Dec 12, 2014 Chile

This is one of the few cases I'm OK to boycott

Specialmick, russpowell and Whyteboar like this.
  3. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,871) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Society Trader

A very popular beer here and the rest of Europe, and the majority of normal beer drinkers (hence non-beer geeks) do not necessarily know it’s actually owned by AB InBev.

Weird move and terrible timing especially as this article is published right on the day of the independence of Ukraine while the country and civilians are still being shelled day and night.

4. tolar111

tolar111 Champion (809) Aug 17, 2008 New York
    Trader

That's outrage worthy and I don't doubt that AB InBev would try and make a buck in Russia, but I don't see how they pull it off, from the negative PR and the logistics. Also, it's counter
    their plan to sell their stake in their Russian business

https://www.archyde.com/ab-inbevs-d...ffe-in-russia-causes-uproar-company-explains/

In reality, this decision was made by AB InBev-Efes. It is a joint venture between AB Inbev and the Turkish company Anadolu Efes. However, AB Inbev does not have a majority and therefore does not have a monopoly on decision-making. These two companies have been collaborating in many countries, including Russia, since 2018.

Following this controversy, AB Inbev wanted to react. The company says it wants to sell its shares in this joint venture since the Russians invaded Ukraine. “Active discussions continue between the parties regarding the sale of AB InBev’s non-controlling interest in the AB InBev – Efes joint venture to its partner, Turkish brewer Anadolu Efes.

Shanex, Ranbot, meefmoff and 7 others like this.
  5. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,998) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Scumwaffles.

FBarber, Redrover and Whyteboar like this.
  6. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,393) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Figures as Turkey seems to have no issue inhabiting black market voids to make a buck. Erdogan is basically Putin of the Bhosporus and will whore himself out for whoever has money. There is a reason all the rich Russians are taking up residence in Turkey until this “special operation” is over.

7. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (3,057) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Hopefully this will be enough to "topple Goliath." Those $83 four-packs don't seem to be doing it.
    Somebody should create an app so you could just scan in a product bar code or can/label photo and find out immediately whether AB-InBev has any ownership interest in it. I'd buy that one.

8. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,412) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Just from reading this thread (I haven't read the linked articles), this would seem to be out of AB-Inbev's control, right? It also seems they want out of the joint venture that does control this.

If all this is so, why bash them over it?

9. Resistance88

Resistance88 Zealot (595) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Or you can just...google it

dcotom likes this.
  10. Resistance88

Trader

I think we all know the answer to this.

I am prolly in the minority in which o could not care less. There's enough shit to worry about. If you're really mad at things like this you wouldn't be able to live anywhere or purchase anything .

11. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,160) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

It is said that the beer karma flows when ab inbev is blamed for any and all problems in the beer world

12. Whyteboar

Whyteboar Meyvn (1,379) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Society Trader

Because they fully intend to sell many of their other beers (Stella, etc...) as those remain popular in Russia. If it were only the one line I would shrug it off, but it's not. They know full well the optics which is why they stated that they wanted "out" but it's only referring to the beer that will actually be brewed in Russia. At least, that was the reality when I posted, if they announced something new i missed it.

PapaGoose03 and Shanex like this.
  13. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,393) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

To be fair wouldn't it be strategically sound if the only thing we exported to Russia was alcohol? Drive them all to excessive drinking and it should help Ukraine.

Whyteboar likes this.
  14. Resistance88

Trader

So all the innocent people in Russia shouldn't be able to get those beers? Not everyone in Russia is guilty.

This is reaching.

Alefflicted and PapaGoose03 like this.
  15. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,306) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

They do quite well now as it is. My best friend spent two years in Siberia building laboratories and was astonished at the Vodka consumption and utter corruption. It is very difficult to astonish him..... He has some really crazy stories........

16. rgordon

I have so much to say about all of this. There is not enough collective patience around here for my musings. But, just one thing. Putin controls the information and this is just about as bad as a visit to The Cold War past. In college I had Ukrainian friends in D.C. They hated the Russians and that's what they were. They only had allegiance to Ukraine I just wish the stupid war would end and end well.

#16 rgordon, Aug 25, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  17. Resistance88

Trader

And i have ukranian friends who get along with my russian friends. What's your point?

This whole topic is exhausting.

Im not for the war but dont gove two shits about it continuing forever either

Alefflicted and BigIronH like this.
  18. rgordon

Read what I said. My Ukrainian friends and neighbors are not very fond of Putin......

19. Resistance88

Trader

Its also important to remember its only one person and he doesn't represent the entirety of Russia.
    Let's end it here. This will go nowhere.

Repects

Alefflicted and BigIronH like this.
  20. rgordon

Done.

21. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,871) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Society Trader

He’s more than only one person, the leader of the largest country in the world having supposedly the second mightiest army in the World (uh) and as far as representing the whole of Russians, as much as quite some Russians despise him, it’s also part of being a president of a country whether you’re happy with whoever you have in the Kremlin, the Oval Office in DC or the Élysées palace.

Conflict has been going on since 2014 and the Donbas region (then taking of Crimea) which has been literally turned into some Verdun 1917 trench warfare, costing on both side this spring hundred of men a day, something we haven’t seen in Europe since WW2. The Balkans wars thirty years ago were quite something nasty too, but didn’t nearly reach such a death toll in six months of war.

All around, I’m not more anti-Russian than the next guy, but as said before the control of his population and medias, the special military OP to « denazify » Ukraine and « kicking NATO out of Eastern Europe » just is ending up to be a disaster first and foremost for the Ukrainians, after the Bucha massacre, shelling malls or stations, and plenty other atrocities against either civilians or soldiers which wouldn’t be safe to even mention never mind post photos of, I’m personally looking for this war to end, but this is not headed this way. Too much damage, destruction and blood spilled for very little as NATO hasn’t been divided or weakened one little bit.

22. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,160) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I'm under the impression they've been strategically building immunity to that strategy for generations now. Dang putin and his 9d chess :triumph:

23. crazyspicychef

crazyspicychef Devotee (452) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

It's a shame no doubt, but for the maybe 12pk I buy a year, I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
    It's cheap Belgian beer & I'm sure there will not be any increases in quality being moved to a new brewery. Never happens.
    So, the already budget friendly Belgian will be a cheap Russian beer with a Belgian name.
    I just wish there was some competition at that price point, because all truth be told, it's not bad beer for the price.
    10 bucks for a 6'er of Belgiun Beer?
    Hard to beat. Palm & Stella don't count in my opinion. They're just European Budweiser to me. Yuck.
    Has everyone boycotted Russian Vodka? I think not.

PapaGoose03 and Resistance88 like this.
  24. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (12,448) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Anything for a buck or ruble I suppose. Bastards

Shanex, PapaGoose03, Jaycase and 2 others like this.
  25. BigIronH

BigIronH Poo-Bah (1,831) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

I don’t understand the language this article is written in.

HouseofWortship likes this.
  26. tolar111

tolar111 Champion (809) Aug 17, 2008 New York
    Trader

It's an obscure European language. If you click the link in my earlier post, it's in English.
    Here's the spoiler:

"this decision was made by AB InBev-Efes. It is a joint venture between AB Inbev and the Turkish company Anadolu Efes. However, AB Inbev does not have a majority and therefore does not have a monopoly on decision-making."

Active discussions continue between the parties regarding the sale of AB InBev’s non-controlling interest in the AB InBev – Efes joint venture to its partner, Turkish brewer Anadolu Efes.

Additionally - BRUSSELS, April 22 (Reuters) - Anheuser-Busch InBev (ABI.BR) plans to exit Russia by selling its interest in a joint venture with Turkish brewer Anadolu Efes that operates in Russia and Ukraine and expects to take a $1.1 billion charge (loss) as a result.

#26 tolar111, Aug 26, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
  27. rgordon

Thank you. Very well said and a nice historic overview. Again, thanks.

28. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (675) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Buycott app - https://www.buycott.com/

It was released over 5 years ago on Apple and Android.

Jaycase, Chaz, Shanex and 3 others like this.
  29. LesDewitt4beer

LesDewitt4beer Meyvn (1,420) Jan 25, 2021 Minnesota
    Society

IMHO a piss poor decision for AB Inbev. Their flow of capital and capitalistic ideals need to be muted in that region for a few yrs. Just one more reason to support your local craft brewer whenever ya can.

Redrover, dcotom, PapaGoose03 and 2 others like this.