ABC Nightline: "The Big Craft Beer Movement"

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by CASK1, Sep 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CASK1

CASK1 Disciple (308) Jan 7, 2010 Florida

2. PackPride

PackPride Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2011 North Carolina

I saw that yesterday, it's a good video. It just confirms what we all know, and that is the growing trend is more toward micro-brew, and it's happening at a rapid pace.

3. JKV96

JKV96 Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2013 Massachusetts

I took that beer bus tour they were on. It is in NYC good tour we hit 3 breweries (Chelsea, Birreria and Brooklyn) and the beer garden they were filming from.

sajaffe1 likes this.
  4. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2008 Missouri

I foresee a wave of people asking for beers that have never been distributed in the state. My local shop had people asking for Dogfish Head every other day when that show aired a while back. Next up, Brooklyn.

edenstjames likes this.
  5. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,301) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

That's the best mainstream piece I've yet seen or heard. Budweiser a bit on their heels (even in their own heads)?

buddha5050 likes this.
  6. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,104) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Great video, excellent reporting.

Can't wait for the next stage in the revolution, I think the best beer is yet to come. We are poised to brew and enjoy not just the finest beer in the world, but the finest beer of all time. A generation of new brewers is stepping out, opening up, and getting ready to thrill and amaze a country and world of thirsty folks.

Pardon me while I go grab one now.

7. leedorham

leedorham Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

Has Garrett Oliver never operated a tap handle before?

buddha5050, edenstjames and cavedave like this.
  8. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

This is what is meant by objective reporting. But Bud sells the most because it tastes good? They must brainwash their executives as a condition of employment.

buddha5050 likes this.
  9. BlackNote

BlackNote Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2013 Michigan

Love the Michigan tattoo on the forearm of the guy filling a barrel at GI.

10. beardown2489

beardown2489 Zealot (506) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

Pretty well done.

It is telling that InBev did that peice. Pretty clear that they want people knowing they own goose island.

You can see it in all the commercials over the last year. All these big conglomerates are begging people to believe they are "crafting" beer.

I think even Sam Adams is going to struggle moving forward. They are kind of in no mans land. I don't like many of there beers but are considered the biggest craft brewery in America. Go figure. They should stick to Boston Lager and Octoberfest IMO. They don't make a good a stout and they don't make a good pale ale or IPA IMO. They are good at lagers. I'll give them that.

11. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Bud sells a lot because it doesn't taste bad. It just doesn't taste much at all!

buddha5050 and Roguer like this.
  12. leedorham

leedorham Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

I think I'll get a tattoo for Washington. I too have immense pride in the shape of my state's border.

13. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Disciple (306) Apr 20, 2004 Kentucky

I guess for Michigan, he had to get two tattoos.

As I would for KY (screw MO and TN for surrounding part of my state).

14. rlcoffey

Actually, the water between the two land portions are part of MI too, so just one tattoo, its a continguous state. KY still isnt.

BlackNote likes this.
  15. jivex5k

jivex5k Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2011 Florida

Great, more InBev beer exposure...just what the world needs.
    /sarcasm

16. CurtisMcArthur

CurtisMcArthur Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2009 Tennessee

Haha! I was working the beer fest they filmed at in Chattanooga a few weeks ago. I wondered what they were filming for......background shots and an interview with Straight to Ale, haha!

17. BoneyardBrewer

BoneyardBrewer Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2005 Michigan

I didn't see him pour but the guy from AB apparently hasn't.

18. foobula

foobula Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2009 Illinois

Interesting report. I was a bit dissatisfied with the lumping of Goose Island into substandard "copycat" beers that you would "graduate from". (Maybe Garrett wasn't referring to GI, though the editing implied it.) As far as I'm concerned their quality remains first-class & they're innovating more than ever. Taking Jim Koch's advice to "let the best beer win", that beer for me is Bourbon County.

ohiobeer29 and VTMoondog like this.
  19. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2012 Michigan

Ah yes, craft beer. The love of my life.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  20. jmchinch

jmchinch Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2012 Massachusetts

I admit...When they showed the bottling line of all BCBCS I think I came a little.

21. -Andrew-

-Andrew- Savant (917) Jul 22, 2013 Michigan
    Society

See: Blue Moon. Their marketing is fucking laughable.

Have you had the Latitude 48 IPA?

Ericness, jcb7472 and yemenmocha like this.
  22. kudos

kudos Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2013 Florida

Funny thing is that he is right at the end. Lager isn't easy to make.

BlackNote likes this.
  23. SierraJosh

SierraJosh Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2013 California

i think i teared up a lil :slight_smile:

24. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Disciple (304) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey

Man that kid on youtube was annoying. Even I hate beer nerds like that guy.

25. brikelly

brikelly Initiate (160) Apr 11, 2010 Massachusetts

Saw all the BCBCS bottles clanking by and it made me shout "ISO!" at my screen.

Then I noticed that the focus wasn't correct on the Budweiser guy, the idiot cameraman focused on the background instead. It made me think that I was drunk. Well played, ABC.

26. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2012 Michigan

"People drink it. And they like it. Because it's good." -- Referring to Bud Light and Budweiser.

Uh, I'd feel safe saying quite a majority of people drink Bud products because their friends do, their family does, they see a lot of advertisements, etc. God I want to punch that guy.

It is pretty stupid. Go ahead and watch BeerGeekNation reviews on any IPA ... they're all the same.

buddha5050, ScottyG and edenstjames like this.
  27. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (12,418) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Just wish they would do a West Coast IPA or even one as good as Goose Island's ( not really setting the bar too high there )

28. foobula

foobula Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2009 Illinois

Gold for English-style IPA at GABF 2012, I'd say that's setting the bar reasonably high. :grinning:

29. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (12,418) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Don't buy GI as an English Style IPA, sorry. An easy drinker, but still an AIPA. Give me Stone or Greenflash all day as what I am pointing to. All that being said, GI IPA still works for me more than anything SA has produced if memory serves me

30. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Devotee (427) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

The most shocking thing is that a mainstream piece of news gained positive mention on this site. Score for ABC. I think they did well to explain the market situation in very layman terms, and they got some good ambassadors for all sides. By the way, some readers may recall (with a shudder) that the brewer of Orval actually picked Bud for his favorite American beer. I'm still wondering if he was putting someone on, and if so, whom. http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/11/24/081124fa_fact_bilger?currentPage=all

31. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,104) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

All it takes to get kudos from BA is to have thoughtful commentary done with maximum objectivity, lots of information and little to no misinformation, and to show at least one pic of lots of BCBCS.

And re: Orval brewer digging Bud. Never understood how folks find it hard to believe that the best selling beers in the world are enjoyed by the folks who buy them. Budweiser is in many ways diatmetrically opposite of Orval. Like many craftsmen, he enjoys differently than what he crafts at work. I spend hours upon hours listening to hard rock and metal to put lyrics to it, but for enjoyment I listen to classical (which I know is a poor example, but kinda on point).

jwat likes this.
  32. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (359) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I have, I'm not a fan. I'd call that a pale ale with extra ingredients. I like the more aggressively hopped IPAs that stick to the main 4 beer ingredients.

33. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (359) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

There Imperial Stout is decent and at a good price.

34. TjackAttack

TjackAttack Initiate (0) May 9, 2013 Texas

I wish they showed one of Greg's Beer Reviews instead. "Let's see what's in the fridge today."

Vogie and nickapalooza86 like this.
  35. -Andrew-

-Andrew- Savant (917) Jul 22, 2013 Michigan
    Society

:angry: STOP DISLIKING THINGS THAT I LIKE! :angry:

I'm kidding of course.

Cheers!

jageraholic likes this.
  36. rlcoffey

If for enjoyment you listened to Miley Cyrus it would be a better example.

cavedave likes this.
  37. char005

char005 Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2011 Pennsylvania

Making metal and listening to classical for fun is like brewing for three floyds is to drinking trappist beers for fun.
    Brewing orval and drinking bud for fun is like making metal and being a belieber.

cavedave likes this.
  38. psuKinger

psuKinger Devotee (499) Feb 2, 2005 Pennsylvania

In my opinion, Stoney Brook Red, New World Triple, Whitewater IPA, Hazel Brown, and Bonfire are all excellent beers. And Utopia's, although overpriced, is pretty cool...

As for IPAs and Stouts, Lattitude 48 and Cream Stout are fine... I think they serve a purpose in that it's a *familiar label* ("Sam Adams") in front of a more-approachable representative of the style for neophytes. I like both of them. I don't love either of them.

Sam Adam's does a good bit to support the Movement and help brewers much smaller than themselves, too... without demanding some % ownership, like what Budweiser "offers". Sam Adams is not my favorite brewery, but they aren't *the bad guys*.

russpowell and craigo19 like this.
  39. pixieskid

pixieskid Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2009 Germany

The AB dude did his best to try and turn things around when he could, but ultimately I don't think he fooled anyone, not even himself...

40. jcb7472

jcb7472 Zealot (525) Jul 13, 2011 Florida

I liked the brewmaster at Brooklyn's point: so what if people start about with copycat craft beers made by the big companies? "Pretty soon they will graduate to the real thing"

dennis3951 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.