Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

ABI to launch 19 new products in 2012

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by dauss, Mar 29, 2012.

1. dauss

Beer Trader

2. cevafm

This sucks, there goes even more valuable floor space in my store for In-Bev crap.

3. Levitation

they're floundering.

Duff27 likes this.
  4. Hophead717

Beer Trader

5. fartmaster

It also has stepped up marketing for Stella Artois, its biggest Belgian beer, whose shipments to U.S. retailers soared 24% last year to top one million barrels. Volumes of Goose Island, a smaller, Chicago-based craft brewer Anheuser bought last year for $39 million, grew more than 20%. Really??? i didnt know this...

Last November, Anheuser also told more than 500 wholesalers who distribute its products across the U.S. that it wants them to sell fewer rival brews. The company warned that wholesalers who aren't tightly "aligned'' with Anheuser might be prevented from acquiring other wholesalers through equity agreements, a type of business contract, that Anheuser holds with the wholesalers.

wtf? Capitalism is a bitch sometimes....i guess if you cant beat the competition with better beer you have to threaten people.

6. fartmaster

lets get hired there so we can work on the inside...ill start shitting and pissing in there beer before bottling...wait nevermind it wont affect the taste, maybe make it better...bad idea

Wulfkvlt and antlerwrestler19 like this.
  7. nrs207

Beer Trader

I sort of want to see how that beer compares to a margarita lol. Other than that, screw them. Distributors hopefully won't align with those assholes even more. It's a little ridiculous, shouldn't even be legal. Telling a business what they can and can't sell, really?

Blueribbon666 likes this.
  8. leedorham

I'd try the lime-a-rita if it were on the list with the usual shit at my favorite Mexican restaurants.

antlerwrestler19 and harrymel like this.
  9. KansasBeerLover

I had forgotten about Goose Island. Too bad, I used to drink it regularly.

10. Hanzo

I mean I can't blame them for trying, since they are under major attack from craft, but I wish they'd just cut their losses and stick with their AALs, making all kind of weird stuff that looks like craft just confuses people and potentially will scare them off of craft and back to Adjunct stuff.....but I guess that is their ultimate goal.

Blueribbon666 likes this.
  11. chefkevlar

Beer Trader

ok, lime a rita, cider and lemonade mich...that's 3. What are the other 16 new items? That's the scary thing

12. Jason

Jason Founder
    Staff Member Fest Crew Subscriber Beer Trader

And to think that several years ago they were pumping out some good R&D Michelob beers ... the 16 more "beers" will most likely go after more seasonal flavors using "natural flavors". AB had a lot of potential before the Inbev buyout. I guess that potential did not show them the right numbers($$$).

13. frazbri

They're throwing a bunch of shite against the wall and hoping some of it will stick.

Blueribbon666 and ShogoKawada like this.
  14. Supes

Beer Trader

I wont hate on them just becasue they are the big bad Inbev. Just because they make some beer that I don't like(Bud light and Bud and others). Im sure there are craft breweries out they that make some shit beers that I dont like that doesnt mean I curse their name and dispise them for being around. I hate the trend of hating things just because they are big. Its not the cool "hip" thing to like. If they pump something out that looks interesting I'll give it a shot. If its good I'll buy more, end of story.

15. nrs207

Beer Trader

Problem with this is that they're threatening distributors to carry more of their product and less of the competition's. So it's not just like they're making more shitty products we won't buy, they're trying to push out the beers that we actually want.

jimmy666, je1129 and Retail1LO like this.
  16. SaginawCyclist

Exactly. I try not to be too much of a snob when it comes to BMC beers, but this is crossing the line.

17. Bobheed

eh, about ten will probably just be Bud or Bud Light in some kind of stupid packaging

AutumnBeerLove likes this.
  18. Blueribbon666

Sad as the Michelob name was their cadillac, top shelf brand that for a brief time was beefed up via that R&D line of beers before being fazed out in favor of being a catch all for every fad-like cash grabber, low carb, flavor of the quarter type swill...still amazing that they seem so threatened by the little guys that they have to result to these kinds of tactics. Stay in your lane, Stalin!

19. rings

20. Retail1LO

19 new products just seems like "Let's throw a metric fuckton of shit against the wall. SOME of it has to stick!"

crossovert and Kinsman like this.
  21. harrymel

These guys are still behind the times. Until I see some big ole -bals, they're old news!

22. RKPStogie

Beer Trader

just 19 more products for me to ignore...

jimmy666, fields336 and Brushkanna like this.
  23. fartmaster

i hope they replace all the craft beers on the shelfs so we can get the beer even fresher by driving to every brewery that bud will kick off the shelfs. mmm. budweiser margaritas. better start saving my gas money

24. Supes

Beer Trader

Last time I checked nobody is holding a gun to these stores heads making them carry one thing over the other. If my local store thinks it will be good business to drop Sierra Nevada, Sam Adams and take out their entire deli department to fit in more InBev brands then more power to them. In my case they would be wrong and will have lost a customer. If other people feel the same way they will lose them as well. If the move doesn't work then the store either goes under or changes their plan again. So next time your in a store and pissed because it takes you 10 minutes to walk past all the InBev products and you blink and miss the 2 craft selections let the store know how you feel by not spending your money there. Instead of complaining about the next store being 2 more miles away and you already missed the first round of the women's basket weaving championships. So you pick up a case of bud margarita from that store. Then they will never change. Why would they? The store got what it wanted, you dignity and your money.

25. Hanzo

The reason why big stores have so much shelf space devoted to BMC is because that's what sells. They won't notice you not spending your money there. The only way to make them change is to buy the craft beer that they do sell, which will make them take notice and buy more craft.

26. WassailWilly

I tried A/Bs Cask Winter ale once .. My brother of all people told it was good. HOLY SWILLAGE BATMAN
    That shit was a JOKE I should have known better

27. fartmaster

didnt you know ab is a terrorist group...and part of the mafia...shit son

28. chefkevlar

Beer Trader

A few days before this was announced a friend of mine (who works for a local craft brewery) and I were discussing that AB should do exactly this. They aren't going to convert people back to their beers at this point because craft drinkers are so loyal to the concept of craft itself. What they can go after though are the Smirnoff Ice/Mike's Hard Lemonade etc drinkers.

29. emilystrikesagai

You vote with your dollars, people. Capitalism 101.

RKPStogie likes this.
  30. Franch

Beer Trader

glad they're ramping up goose island production

31. CMUbrew

I really hope nobody adds these monstrosities to this site...

32. dublthink

yup.... I'm fighting for craft space as is...

33. JoolyGoodFellow

why is it that when they aim to fight against craft, that instead of making craft beers, they come up with daft beers?

34. tozerm

This isn't 100% true... in many states it is legal for breweries to pay slotting fees to gobble up shelf space, thus limiting the ability of any of the smaller guys to gain entry. Really... do we need 20 different package configurations of one macro beer? 20 packs, 30 packs, 16oz cans, 12bottles, 24oz cans.... It is a land grab for space, pure and simple. They are attempting to do to the beer aisle what the Kellogs, GM, and Post have done to the cereal aisle.

35. gtermi

Somebody here has watched Beer Wars! You are 100% right though.

36. tozerm

Haha... yes I did watch Beer Wars but I've been employed in the beer Biz going on 10 years now. I've seen it in action... daily. I've actually sat in large meeting with corporate buyers and category managers dividing up the territory.

37. ShogoKawada

Whoa! Just heard about the Lime-A-Rita. I know I called this about 6-8 months ago. Booyah.

/it's gonna suck

38. RKPStogie

Beer Trader

Personally, I'm hoping to find it on cask...

39. chefkevlar

Beer Trader

On lime-a-rita:

The new drink is available in 12-packs of 8 oz. cans, 24-packs of 12 oz. shrink-wrapped bottles and single-serve 24 oz. cans

40. campbmsu2

Essentially ABI wants to create a system where they have in every region/state a master distributor. Where legal, they would own said distributor. That distributor has a certain portfolio, mostly ABI (probably all, but, they didn't specify that) and then other independent distributors in that region would follow that lead, either at gunpoint or heavily incentivized. What brought this all about was the Yeungling launch in Ohio, but it's been simmering for awhile.

They are going to continue to innovate random stuff like a-rita and purchase other brands (Goose) instead of creating their own (Bourbon Cask Disaster). The CBA agreement is paying off in spades now that they took that money from the GI transaction and invested it all in marketing. Andy Thomas doesn't hurt either.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe