Able Seedhouse + Brewery Becomes First Minnesota Brewery in Decades to Make Its Own Malt

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Dec 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerAdvocate

BeerAdvocate Admin (4,017) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Pooh-Bah

#1 BeerAdvocate, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2017
  2. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

:astonished: Don't know Minnesota brewing industry history very well, but the Theo. Hamm Brewing Co. in St. Paul - once among the Top 10 of US brewers - had its own malt house, which continued operations under Olympia, Pabst and then Stroh ownership. Reports at the time had the malt house staying opened for a time even after Stroh closed the brewery itself in '97.

Given MN's location, I'd expect there may have been other brewers also did their own malting (granted, it wasn't as common after Repeal for brewers to also be maltsters) - but I'm guessing Duluth Brewing & Malting Co. might have been one :grin:.

Crusader, pat61 and JackHorzempa like this.
  3. pat61

pat61 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota

You are absolutely right, Duluth Brewing and malting persisted until the 1960's: http://cdm16022.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nemhc/id/4278, Hamms added a new malt hourse between the end of prohibition and the end or WWII.
    The Minneapolis Brewing and malting Company - forerunner to Grain Belt obviously malted at one time.

4. jesskidden

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It appears that after Heileman bought Duluth and it's brands in the 1960s, they actually continued to run the malting facility for a few years after closing the brewery itself.

Yeah, couldn't find a date for the start up of Hamm's malt house (the earliest references to it after Repeal date from around 1940), but it looks like Gluek also did their own malting for a while and they were up and running before either Hamm or Duluth, based on this image from a 1934 ad:

[​IMG]

Crusader likes this.
  5. pat61

6. jesskidden

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Oh, yeah - the claim in the article was "....since Prohibition". It was much more common in the pre-Pro era - just a quick review of a Brewers Guide from that period and it looks like half the 60 or so breweries in Minnesota are listed as maltsters, too.

But there were quite a few brewery-owned malt houses (some adjacent to the brewery, some off-site) in the US after Repeal, too - about 2 dozen or so, IIRC.

7. pat61

Pre-prohibition it made sense due to economics. Post prohibition improved rail travel made it less economic and Rahr built its malting plant in Shakopee Minnesota. The brewer-malters gradually disappeared.

8. Keene

Keene Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2009 Washington

@jesskidden @pat61 Thanks for setting me straight, gentlemen. I don't know Minnesota brewing history very well either, but none of the three sources (all in-state) I interviewed questioned or corrected my post-Prohibition assertion. In any case, I have changed the headline and the body text to reflect the historical reality.

JackHorzempa and Squire like this.
  9. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

If you write an American beer history article in the future I would recommend that you consult @jesskidden prior to publishing. He was helpful in reviewing my article about reconstructing the original 1896 Michelob beer.

Cheers!

Keene likes this.
  10. jesskidden

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The discussion in this thread spurred me on to finally collect and organize all my random notes, files and other research I've done about the dozen or so US post-Repeal "maltster-brewers" and create a webpage for it.

https://sites.google.com/site/brewerymalthouses/

Still a "work in progress" (the advantage of a webpage other hardcopy/print), but, coincidentally enough, it appears that other than Wisconsin - as one would expect- and maybe tied with California, it appears that Minnesota had more breweries doing their own malting than any other - Hamm, Duluth, Gluek and St. Cloud - after Prohibition.

JackHorzempa, Keene and Crusader like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.