1. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,700) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Don't think this is common/popular enough a drink for a "What Are you Drinking Now"-type thread lol ...though it is what I'm drinking now... :wink:

Absinthe was illegal for a long while here in the US, under false assumptions it was hallucinogenic or something - lol - it's just a high-abv spirit - anyways... My first absinthe was Lucid (I still use their glass and spoon), and it's still my favorite... Total Wine has a fair selection, but no Lucid...

So today, instead, the classic, Pernod...
    [​IMG]

À votre santé...
    [​IMG]

#1 Greywulfken, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    jkblr, seakayak, Premo88 and 2 others like this.
  2. seakayak

seakayak Defender (668) May 20, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

I once went to an absinthe bar in Prague. The utensils and ritual involved in the preparation was fascinating, and created this strange experience of being hooked up with "the works" in some beatnik bar from an earlier time. Cool, man, real cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Glider, Premo88, Bigrock and 2 others like this.
  3. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,273) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I have some Absente, a glass, a silver spoon, and a sugar cube. I'll have to jury-rig a fountain, though, since I don't have one of those. (Yet.) Here we go:

[​IMG]

The finished product. I love how the process transforms the color from a vibrant green to an opalescent milky jade. Time to get contemplative. Santé!

[​IMG]

jkblr, Glider, Premo88 and 2 others like this.
  4. Greywulfken

Society Trader

That really is really cool, man - and the pics!!!
    Bro, you fucking nailed it! That was the first time? Duuuuude...

Premo88, dcotom and seakayak like this.
  5. Greywulfken

Society Trader

A tumbler of Pernod absinthe?
    [​IMG]
    Who's to say?

Cheers...

dcotom, Glider and seakayak like this.
  6. gclaw4444

gclaw4444 Initiate (85) Jul 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

The name escapes me at the moment, but i went to a place in NYC that supposedly specializes in absinthe cocktails and has a lovecraftian theme. It was cool the first time, but the second time i went they were way too heavy with the absinthe and over poured.
    On a more positive note, Deacon Giles made an absinthe that's pretty good, though they for some reason toned down the anise flavor.

dcotom, Greywulfken and seakayak like this.
  7. Greywulfken

Society Trader

This started off as a gin drink with a splash of absinthe and a dash of Peychaud's bitters...
    [​IMG]
    It then morphed into an absinthe drink with a splash of gin and a slice of lemon... :wink:
    [​IMG]
    Absinthe: Pernod, gin: Monkey 47...

Cheers...

#7 Greywulfken, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    jkblr, dcotom, seakayak and 1 other person like this.
  8. Greywulfken

Society Trader

jkblr, dcotom, Glider and 1 other person like this.
  9. Thankin_Hank

Thankin_Hank Crusader (762) Nov 18, 2013 Texas

"Purple Haze" at the Purple Haze in Okinawa 1973. Think black-light posters and "Dark Side of the Moon". USS Denver LPD9. Free six month cruise. Mess cook.

10. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,273) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I was in Rockford earlier today and I stopped in at Woodman's for some Rolf's relish and sport peppers. (If you're going to make Chicago dogs, you might as well do 'em up right, right?) I also picked up a six-pack of Malört shooters. Malört is made with wormwood, bit its similarity to absinthe ends there. I get none of the herbal character, only an intense and long-lasting bitterness. I may give the absinthe treatment to one of these as an experiment. What could possibly go wrong? :sunglasses:

hottenot, Greywulfken and seakayak like this.
  11. hottenot

hottenot Aspirant (240) Aug 13, 2018 North Carolina
    Society

Drainpour?