Acid reflux issues with IPAs?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Iemolo, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Celtics76

Celtics76 Defender (654) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

I avoid (for the most part) IPAs over 8.5% or so and I'm fine. Those syrupy triple IPAs are killers. Most of them are terrible anyway.

2. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Zealot (542) Nov 23, 2017 California
    Trader

If you're looking for issues, down a few milkshake IPAs - really get your insides going every which way.

Number1Framer likes this.
  3. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,315) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

The best way to reduce acid reflux is weight loss. The more weight you carry around your stomach the worse the symptoms. Also bloating/air, anything that adds pressure to your stomach is going to increase reflux because it puts additional stress on the valve that keeps the acid in place. I have a lot of experience with this, I was diagnosed with a faulty valve over 10 years ago so basically I have reflux for life. It's nothing to do with acid, its all due to the valve not closing right. With that said I am off all medicine and take an occasional tums when drinking, the trick is maintaining your weight, exercise, and keeping your stomach muscles in shape. Sounds crazy but I went from PPIs for 8 years to nothing now and I drink almost daily. The trick is I maintain my weight and keep my stomach strong with lots of exercise, etc. Hope this helps some folks, find a good Dr. that is not PPI crazy and actually wants you healthy, long term use of PPIs is very dangerous, good luck all!!
    Cheers

4. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (804) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Prilosec is a horrible recommendation. Reflux, like any dysfunction or pain, is your body telling you that you're fucking up. You want to just cover that up and keep going instead of fixing the actual problem?

^^^ This. Stop drinking every day and clean up your shit diet and your reflux should clear up in no time.

5. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,506) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

I tend to get acid reflex from wines, but don't even with 15% ABV stouts. Not sure what it is for me personally, but that's been my experience.

6. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

The pH/TA of wines tends to be much more acidic than that of beer (even sour beers even though most wine doesn't taste as sour) AND the ABV tends to be higher, as well.

7. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

FWIW, here's a pH scale of most wines (remember, this is a logarithmic scale):

[​IMG]
    And some beer numbers for comparison:

- Lagers tended to be around 3.90 - 4.10
    - Ales: 4.00 - 4.20
    - Mild/dark ales: 4.10 - 4.30
    - Sour beers 3.2 - 3.8

8. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,376) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  9. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

10. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (217) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  11. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,376) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

Higher pH means less acidity, closer to neutral than most ales.

12. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (5,873) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Were some of those IPA's dry-hopped with lupulin powder? For some reason, I've noticed IPA's with powder added as a dry hop tend to be a little more acidic and hotter (at least for me).

drtth likes this.
  13. Ceddd99

Ceddd99 Initiate (78) May 14, 2018 Michigan
    Trader

I seem to get issues from IPAs. I don't know about acid reflux, but I don't feel like I "digest" IPAs as well as other beers. I sometimes will feel a bit queasy after drinking them, or the next morning I will feel like I don't want another IPA for a very long while. I mostly just avoid them these days. Honestly American Pale Ales are basically the same thing as IPAs except usually a bit less hoppy so if I am in the mood for a hoppy beer I will drink one and it provides me with all the hops I need. Most IPAs have are just overkill from my perspective.

ESHBG likes this.
  14. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (217) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Oh yeah, duh, I have that reversed. Guess it must be something else then? I know certain Lagers like Yuengling for example can get my reflux going...it could be argued that it is the alcohol alone but I can have higher ABV beers that do not have this same effect.

15. JrGtr

JrGtr Disciple (367) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I get acid reflux when I mix hoppy beers with dairy, like ice cream for dessert. However, the effect is minimized when I drink a bunch of water before going to bed. Doesn't happen when I have a stout, British style or even a sour with ice cream, just the bigger pale ales and IPAs.

16. cerp66

cerp66 Initiate (102) Sep 20, 2007 South Carolina

Check out DGL online if you are not familiar with it.
    Take one chewable tablet 20 mins before your beer drinking (or any meal you think will cause you problems).
    IT WORKS !

17. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (104) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

Any kind of NEIPA or milkshake IPA does it for me. Even cheap sours don't hit me nearly as bad as the slurry cans. And god forbid I'm sipping a NEIPA out of the can and get a tiny nip of Satan's Sludge from the bottom it's literally instant heartburn for me. Too many big BA stouts will do it too, but party nights with 'too many' huge stouts usually begin with a terrible food choice to get the ball rolling.

I've also found that if I drink a stout and a sour in the same session it's a slow painful death similar to a shot of lemon juice and milk.