Adding Choc+Coffee+Cocoa- When to do it.

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by TIMMYJ21, May 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TIMMYJ21

TIMMYJ21 Apr 29, 2010 Minnesota

Just wanted to get some personal advice from those that have brewed a beer with the ingred posted.I'm brewing a breakfast stout, Should I add coffee grounds at the end of boil along with the choc, or just add nibs in primary and then add cold press coffee in the bottling bucket before bottling and or kegging.Or just your thoughts. Thanks

2. whereizzy

whereizzy Mar 2, 2011 Wisconsin

I had good results adding cocoa powder with 1 minute left in the boil. Dry hop your nibs and I recommend cold steeping your coffee and add at bottling.

3. dougofthefuture

dougofthefuture Oct 15, 2009 Minnesota

I did a bunch of research on a Founders Breakfast Stout clone, which had chocolate at 15 mins left I believe, coffee grounds addition at flame-out, and another cold press addition at bottling. The grounds gave a ton of flavor and aroma without even adding the cold press. I think my cold press made it worse, as I am apparently not that good at making it. Next time I'm just going to buy a big cup at the local coffee shop.

A recipe, if interested: http://hopville.com/recipe/1079718/american-stout-recipes/kbs-clone#

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.