Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Asia Advice on Kyoto, Tokyo and Takayama

Discussion in 'The Rest of the World' started by gulden, May 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gulden

gulden Mar 20, 2011 Australia

Hi all

Any update suggestions for the following 3 cities? I noticed some from last year it was wondering if anyone had anything more current?

Thanks!

dar482 likes this.
  2. dar482

dar482 Mar 9, 2007 New York
    Beer Trader

Yeah, I'm going to Japan in a month. Would like to know what I'm looking for there.

3. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Jan 29, 2012 United Kingdom (England)

Having no interest in Japanese craft beer I spent my nights in Tokyo at a cosey downstairs pub called Belgo. It's a couple of minute's walk from Shibuya hachiko crossing, although I couldn't give you directions. It was always empty, apart from a couple of locals and the fridge was fully stocked at the right temperature with tons of Belgian bottles. About Y1,000 per bottle though.

4. od_sf

od_sf Nov 2, 2010 California

Ant 'n Bee Bar in Roppongi carries nothing but local Japanese craft beers. Very cool staff (I actually took the owner out to Toronado last time she was in SF doing "research"). Be prepared to pay though, a pint will run you ¥1,200 and up. Lots of IPAs as it seems to be the style Japanese microbreweries are most into, and none of them are as good as the better US examples.

Ant 'n Bee Bar
    B1F, 5-1-5 Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo (It's 1 floor down from the street level)

Also, it's fun to go to the top of the famous Asahi beer headquarters building next to the "golden turd" building in Asakusa to drink a very fresh Asahi while enjoying the amazing view. Obviously Asahi is mass produced but super fresh it's drinkable (especially on a hot day), and the view is stunning.

pudgym29 likes this.
  5. stevelax48

stevelax48 Aug 13, 2013 Japan

There are a lot of good locations in Tokyo for craft beer.

Baird has two taprooms. One is located in Nakameguro and the other is in Harajuku.
    Craftheads: Located in Shibuya has a large selection of bottles but is pricey.
    Popeyes: Located in Ryogoku. Has a lot of taps but also is a little pricey.
    DevilCraft has two locations. One is in Kanda and the other just opened in Hamamatsucho. About 10-15 taps, I can't remember exactly, which changes almost daily. A lot of imported stuff.

For bottles you gotta go to Tanakaya in Mejiro. There you can get a lot of Japanese Craft beer as well as a lot of imported bottles.

There are a lot of places to go just got to research.

6. pudgym29

pudgym29 Mar 14, 2009 Illinois

This is a plug. :D If you're interested in solid craft beer venues in Tokyo and Yokohama, you should obtain a copy of my zine, "Japan Jaunt" (now in its 2nd printing).
    It includes an article (with an associated map) which was rejected by a beer magazine publisher. :(
    Beer message me here, or send an e-mail to jpnjaunt2.pudgym29 {at} xoxy.net.

7. Kanger

Kanger Sep 3, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

I fully agree with all of these choices. These were my top four craft beer bar choices the last time I went to Tokyo.

Baird is great but it'll all Baird beer and nothing else. Great bar food too at the Harajuku Tap Room.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Craftheads is the first bar I stop at when I visit Tokyo. Great selection of Japanese beers and usually a small selection of West Coast craft beers. There is also an entire wall of Whiskey and Bourbon. They also have good food.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Popeyes has the MOST choice of them all. Nearly 100 taps were hooked up the last time I was there. My avatar picture was taken at their bar. During happy hour, you can eat for free when you order a beer. Very friendly bartenders. They even made me "Club Member" and gave me a membership card when I was there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Devilcraft has a good selection of Japanese and West Coast beers. But go here for their deep dish Pizza!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe