African-American Craft Beer Brewers Unite To Host A Festival Of Their Own

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by CASK1, Aug 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CASK1

CASK1 Aspirant (285) Jan 7, 2010 Florida

Interesting NPR article on the racial disparity in craft drinkers/brewers.
    https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...brewers-unite-to-host-a-festival-of-their-own

https://freshfestbeerfest.com

2. dvmin98

dvmin98 Site Editor (2,727) Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

I don't know why this has to be an issue? How about Americans making beer for Americans? Why do we have to constantly put everyone into a frickin category?

3. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (835) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

If there was a "Black Beer Festival" near where you live, would you attend? I'm sure that most of the breweries at one, would be new for me, That's why I would go.

4. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,035) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

I guess the folks at PBR didn't think an article about just craft beer would be interesting enough.

TexasBeerDude94 likes this.
  5. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (835) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Sadly because that is what Americans do.

pinyin, tzieser, russpowell and 6 others like this.
  6. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,319) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Premium Trader

<<says J. Nikol Jackson-Beckham, a professor at Randolph College and an expert on diversity in craft beer.>>

Who knew there were experts in this type of thing :astonished:!

<<"Its product is mostly made and drunk by affluent white people.">>
    Wow, just wow, talk about stereotyping people! The last time I got together with a bunch of people to drink, pretty sure most of us didn't fall into this category.

<<Affluent whites, for instance, are much more likely to have grown up with parents, cousins or friends who home-brewed.>>
    Really, this is another absurd comment.

<<He also notes racial segregation, which keeps people from trying bars in neighborhoods where they might not feel safe or welcome. "I mean, if you get pulled over in the wrong neighborhood, like, that could mean a lot of bad things for you," Bracey says.>>

So , the police are being blamed for people not be able to try craft beer, more garbage.

What a terrible article.

7. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,344) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

A quick search for "craft beer" at NPR Search turns up 162 hits, the oldest from 2006, with titles like:

(2008) Alabama Beer Drinkers Fight for Stronger Brews
    (2009) Despite Economy, Craft Beer Industry Grows
    (2010) Changing Tastes Drive Shift In Beer Sales
    (2013) Craft Brews Slowly Chipping Away At Big Beer's Dominance

#7 jesskidden, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Maestro0708, rronin, spoony and 9 others like this.
  8. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (158) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Premium Trader

Welp, only a few replies in have already proven the article's point.

For a community that prides itself on being progressive, we're awfully conservative in many respects.

9. dvmin98

dvmin98 Site Editor (2,727) Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

Because we have to make everything about race? last share I went to there were 4 black guys, 3 white guys and an Asian girl. Amazingly, the diversity never became a topic throughout the evening. We just all shot the sh*t and drank amazing beers.

10. thesherrybomber

Premium Trader

I mean, if you're not a person of color, I can see how you would think its not an issue. If bringing attention to what others of a different demographic experiences is making "everything about race", then we should be making more things about it.

Trying to think of parallels, but I'm assuming you're not a woman, queer, or severely handicapped, or having to beg for your next meal. Yeah, the scene is pretty monolithic: middle class, white, 30s-40s. Not a problem in itself, unless there are those who want it to stay that way for whatever reason(s).

Truth is, racial minorities do have more of a hurdle if they want to "make it" in the industry. Not sure why wanting to change that is such a bad thing?

Raj, Maestro0708, Chipotle and 29 others like this.
  11. Squire

Premium Trader

I choose to live in the real world, not the world of labels. The city and county where I reside has about a 38% black population and any festival around here will have a proportional representation.

The closest I come to having ethnicity in a conversation is making tomahawk jokes with my Choctaw friends because I am descended from the Cherokee and the two tribes have had their differences in years past.

12. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,654) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

That sounds ideal and as it should be.

Now if we could just get the rest of the world to go along with that example the labels would disappear entirely....

(Even the ones you've just used to make your point.)

RobNewton likes this.
  13. thesherrybomber

Premium Trader

I'm glad that you can choose to live without labels, but for others, its something they have to confront every day. Until you're constantly reminded you're different, either by people's words or actions, its not the same thing at all.

Its one thing to have a Cherokee ancestor, and another with being attacked on your own reservation because some greedy asshole wants to build a pipe.

14. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (1,688) Jun 18, 2010 New York

We should be embracing the idea that craft beer is becoming more popular among all customer segments. That means better beer available; a good thing. I see such a festival as celebrating inclusion into the industry, not putting a special category.

With that said, some of the generalization thrown into this article without statistics is cringe-worthy.

15. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (4,346) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

Looks like the original name of this thread by the OP has already been changed.

16. Squire

Premium Trader

I don't allow others to define my identity, or anything else about me for that matter. I'm drawn to intelligent, reflective, witty people who can express their thoughts without raising their voice and have found such folk wherever I've traveled.

17. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,278) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Anybody going to this today? Would love to hear how it goes.

18. thebeers

Premium Trader

That's great, but despite your best intentions as an individual, this is a country that's still very divided by race, class and gender and it's hard to push for greater equality without acknowledging inequalities.

Our country's founding documents divide people by race and gender -- and today we've got a head of state who wants to limit immigration from "shithole countries" and increase immigration from northern Europe. That's the real world. :beers:

19. HopBelT

HopBelT Meyvn (1,130) Mar 18, 2014 Belgium
    Premium Trader

There's one in Belgium : http://www.blackbeerfest.com/ . A festival of black beers... :wink:
    And I'm going !

20. drtth

Yeah, it happens regularly if you use some other wording than the title of the article you are linking to.

dennis3951 likes this.
  21. HopBelT

HopBelT Meyvn (1,130) Mar 18, 2014 Belgium
    Premium Trader

Just kidding...! I just don't care if the person who's brewing is black, white, yellow, green or blue. As long as the beers are tasty, it's all fine by me.

22. thesherrybomber

Premium Trader

Again, unless you're a member of one or more of those groups, that's natural. Are you being denied jobs based on your skin color, or people refusing to sell you guns because some mass shooter was also an American male? This is something that, unless you've had first hand experience with, you're going to have to LISTEN and learn to understand. A lot of people are fixated on their own lives, views, and don't like to be challenged, so not enough of that happens.

I thought of ignoring this thread, since I've seen the topic come up on different forums, and it always goes the same way. Yeah, its not a life or death situation, and I don't spend every minute of my day ruminating over people threatening deportation or making foreign language jokes (even if my family has been here longer than theirs... my German immigrant friend has an easier time being assumed a "real" American by strangers), but won't pretend it doesn't exist. People are actually UPSET its being pointed out.

One could argue there are more pressing issues, but shouldn't anyone be able to enjoy a hobby that's traditionally been "of the common people"? Race might not be the only thing holding them back: the article mentioned San Diego. Many Hispanics are working class, so finances could be another reason, but it all ties in together. A poor Mexican-American does face struggles a poor black man doesn't, and vice versa.

23. Todd

Todd Founder (5,609) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

dennis3951 likes this.
  24. flaskman

flaskman Devotee (458) Aug 3, 2015 New York
    Premium

I bet it would be fun...

25. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,203) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Premium Trader

@thesherrybomber I don’t think you get it....you are the one highlighting race/gender/whatever and making it an issue. That is divisive.

The beer community I know is inclusive. Doesn’t matter who you are, what you look like, where you come from, who you like to have sex with, how much money you have....it’s all about the beer. As it should be.

26. drtth

Your logic here is a bit like me looking out my back window and saying, "What wild fires?" There are no fires around here. What are those California folks complaining about?

Not seeing something where you are doesn't mean it is not out there somewhere and causing problems for some folks.

rronin, Chipotle, jdell15 and 31 others like this.
  27. flaskman

flaskman Devotee (458) Aug 3, 2015 New York
    Premium

Well said.

deadwolfbones, crob3888 and RobNewton like this.
  28. thesherrybomber

Premium Trader

How can I explain this? Its like if a wine drinker came onto BA, saw a discussion where someone said something like, "Dunkelweizen doesn't seem to be as popular of a style as IPA or stouts" and replied, "Why, that's not true! My best friend drinks nothing but dunkelweizens!" Or if someone who doesn't drink beer saw people upset that x microbrewery was bought out by a large conglomerate and said, "Its never bothered me"

The problem... those saying it isn't a problem aren't exactly the ones affected. I'm sure you'd get different answers if you asked those individuals/groups directly. They ARE issues, but its a lot easier to stay quiet and not make waves.

29. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,011) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Trader

I agree with @thesherrybomber and @drtth . I'm sick of people saying that it's a non-issue that shouldn't be talked about. I think dialogue is healthy and will end up bringing more people into the craft beer community as a whole. Anyone who's thinking that it's singling people out and will have a detrimental effect are looking at it in the wrong perspective.

30. Tamarack

Tamarack Initiate (51) Sep 22, 2016 Massachusetts

GotDAMN there's alot of white folks saying "I don't see color/there's only one race, the HUMAN RACE" in this thread. BA forum getting a little y i k e s for me lately

31. azorie

azorie Champion (876) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

nailed it, thanks!

crob3888, ElijahSF, RobNewton and 3 others like this.
  32. IroquoisPlisken

IroquoisPlisken Initiate (94) May 21, 2013 Ohio

If African Americans make up a small percentage of people consuming craft beer, what’s the solution to this problem? Are we supposed to force more African Americans to drink craft beer? I don’t see what barriers are being put up to exclude black people or anyone else from drinking craft beer so I don’t see what solution there is to this “problem.”

33. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (449) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts

African Americas banding together to share a common love of craft beer -- a business they are not proportionately a part of....and some people think this is a bad thing? my god folks.

34. drtth

Force people? No.

But, as I pointed out in an earlier post, just because you don't see a problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

BTW, Have you noticed the dramatic increase since 2013 in Ohio in the number of people seeking/receiving assistance with and/or treatment for a gambling problem?

#34 drtth, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    RobNewton likes this.
  35. JayTheBeerdo

JayTheBeerdo Initiate (189) Feb 23, 2016 New York
    Premium

Glad discussions like these are happening. The only way to really be the inclusive industry we say we are is to sit down, listen, and at least be open to the idea that there are still issues that need addressing.

ElijahSF and RobNewton like this.
  36. IroquoisPlisken

IroquoisPlisken Initiate (94) May 21, 2013 Ohio

37. rgordon

rgordon Champion (860) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

The northern Europeans are happy with where they are. To suggest that we'd rather have them than others was a damned foolish comment when first uttered.

surfcaster and thebeers like this.
  38. thebeers

Premium Trader

A number of people have asked "what's the problem" and "what's the solution." I've got no special expertise in this issue, but....

On the consumer side, if black beer drinkers have friends who perceive craft beer as a white thing, fests like the one in the article might contribute to dismantling that perception. Duh!

On the brewing side... Previous threads have quoted black beer afficianados who had applied to a bunch of breweries for work and not gotten any call backs. If you want to make brewing your profession and you can't get a foothold in the industry, that's a real problem. Not specific to brewing, there are studies showing that people with black-sounding names are half as likely to get an interview as people with white-sounding names when submitting otherwise the exact same resume.

One baby step to helping people find jobs could be having breweries that are willing to hire more people of color post job openings on the websites of the advocay groups mentioned in the article.
    Another would be discouraging breweries from using volunteers -- knowing that median wealth for black households is far, far less than for white households and that that starting with unpaid work is thus a disproportionate barrier to entry into the industry for black people.

39. Crim122

Crim122 Aspirant (223) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

I’m really surprised by the uproar by this. When I turned 21 in nine years ago the craft scene was still 99.9% pasty white dudes (i say this as a pasty white dude). Since that time the tap rooms have definitely become more diverse. But the brewers all seem to still be white dudes.

Now I can’t speak for the reasons why. I’m not naive enough to say “well this is American anyone can make it despite race/creed etc”. We should be praising this not freaking out. And I’d love to attend something like this.

40. IKR

IKR Zealot (581) May 25, 2010 California
    Trader

With any new hobby or interest newcomers (people of any race or nationality) feel intimidated in "joining in" for the first time. If this beer fest is the one that allows some newcomer craft beer fans to find their passion it's all good. If it (beerfest in article) leads to the discovery that the majority of beer-fests are accepting of diversity all the better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.