Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Aged 75min

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by 3rdto1st, Mar 6, 2013.

1. 3rdto1st

2. RDMII

I aged my first bottle without ever having it fresh. At one year I tried it and did not like it, the maple was gone and though the hops faded, they faded into oxygen from what I tasted. My second bottle was a week old and I didn't like it either, very little maple, and the hops were too 'chalky' for me. I don't think it's a good beer at any age.

gzaIPArza, drgarage and cavedave like this.
  3. sherm1016

I had a bottle fresh, and then another bottle a few months later. So old, but not aged, per se. I definitely preferred it fresh. Hops and maple had fallen off quite noticeably (although as noted above by RDMII, there isn't much maple even when fresh).

4. Hanzo

I tried it fresh and enjoyed it, but I am sitting on an original batch bottle, not sure when I am going to open it.

5. bramsdell

I have had it out of the bottle fresh and very much enjoy it. I have had it on cask and enjoyed it even more.

There is a delicate hoppiness to it that I wouldn't really want to lose.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe