Aged Goose Island Coffee BCBS

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by WhoKnew23, Jan 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhoKnew23

WhoKnew23 Initiate (0) Oct 20, 2014 Michigan

Hey guys!

I was wondering if you could help me out once again. I am looking to build my collection (expensive and time consuming) and was wondering if there was any point in buying Goose Island Coffee BCBS from 2011. I know with a lot of beers that are brewed with coffee, the coffee taste fades. I would expect no different with this one. Am I assuming correctly? Would it more or less just taste like standard BCBS?

Any info would be really helpful!

Thanks!

2. basics

basics Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2011 North Carolina

On one hand the coffee will fade, but on the other any BCBS is super hot and needs at least 6 months to lose that alcohol burn. It could go either way but if there were any specific coffee beer that could use aging, this is probably it.

WhoKnew23 likes this.
  3. Bosoxfan20

Bosoxfan20 Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013 Missouri

I had the 2013 coffee on tap around Oct of 2014 and it was amazing. Better than the 2014 version. The coffee was still holding pretty strong. I love the coffee aspect with my bourbon barrel aged stouts to counter the sweetness, especially the amount of sweetness that BCBS provides. Personally, I liked the year old 2013 BCBCS better than any of the BCBS and variants I have had...and that includes BCBS Rare.

PsilohsaiBiN and WhoKnew23 like this.
  4. slipperysoup

slipperysoup Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2014 Illinois

Anyone had a 2012 recently? Was actually wondering if I should hold on to mine longer, but this post has me wondering if I need to open that beauty up.

5. WhoKnew23

So, is it worth a shot you think?

6. basics

basics Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2011 North Carolina

If it's not gonna break the bank go for it, but don't hold onto it for longer than a year or so. On the other hand if you've already got a '12 or even '13 then it's not that much of a difference and you could use your resources on something else.

WhoKnew23 likes this.
  7. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

Aged BCBCS is still good, but the older it is, the less coffee you are getting. Fresh is always best for any coffee beer in my opinion.

8. WhoKnew23

I have never had it before. I only had the standard BCBS.

9. WhoKnew23

Yeah...I think I am going to pass...I appreciate the info guys. I have been drinking craft for years, but never collected and usually just bought 10 dollar six packs of various stuff. I never really "got into it" like I am now.

10. dutesanch

dutesanch Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2014 California

Got a '13 as an extra in a trade, coffee flavor did fade but overall stout flavor was very Parabolaesque. That's the only way I could think to describe it.

11. KnowYourCraft

KnowYourCraft Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2014 California

I had one about a week ago, the coffee is fading but it still held up nice, and I thought it was fantastic. I would drink it cause it seemed like it could start going down hill after another few months on it. I have one left and I'm drinking it tomorrow :wink:

12. KnowYourCraft

KnowYourCraft Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2014 California

I would be cautious as I could tell the coffee was fading in my 2012 I had about a week ago, I don't think a 2012 would be nearly as good with another 6 months on it. Had a 2010 a few months ago and since it was brewed with espresso it held up wonderfully.
    I don't think you would be too disappointed if you bought it, but I wouldn't expect it to be as good as a 2013 right now.

WhoKnew23 likes this.
  13. pitweasel

pitweasel Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2007 New York

GET IT.

Here's the thing...the coffee will fade in any beer that's several years old. So just take a Sharpie, scribble over that word on the label, and pretend you're drinking a 2011 Bourbon County Stout. They were all the same price (I believe), so you shouldn't be paying a premium for one kind over another. And what you'll end up with is an unbelievably good beer. I bought a few '08 BCBS bottles in 2010, and when I drank the first in 2011, I was blown away.

To recap: buy it, disregard the whole coffee aspect, and just enjoy the phenomenal world class beer that it is.

iong516 and nuggetlover like this.
  14. WhoKnew23

Hmmm...this is a different way of looking at it. I was just so excited to have the coffee aspect added, since I love the standard version.

15. BubalooBrewMaster

BubalooBrewMaster Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2013 Nevada

Poobah gots a point.

16. BourbonJersey

BourbonJersey Aspirant (254) Jan 18, 2014 New Jersey

Had a 2013 BCBCS on New Years Eve, might have been the best beer I've ever had.

I'd say if you get the chance for any year of it, and it's not a total rip off, go for it. You're getting a world class beer even if the coffee has fallen off a bit.

Heck, do a vertical of whatever years you have and figure out the optimal age for a BCBCS. I'm trying to hold on to 2 of each of the regular BCBS from 2013 until 2020 and then doing a vertical with some buddies.

17. pmoney

pmoney Crusader (778) Apr 15, 2011 Illinois

There are like 20 other threads that already discuss aging BCBCS. Use the search function and check them out.

18. braugon

braugon Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2013 Connecticut

just had a 2012 and a 2014 Coffee, open the 2012!!

19. TomClem

TomClem Initiate (108) Mar 7, 2012 Nebraska

I'd love to get a 2011 BCBCS.

20. WhoKnew23

I did. Good try. None of them really answer the question directly. Thanks for the advice.

21. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Disciple (376) Jan 20, 2010 Texas

There is no reason not to buy it. Even if ALL the coffee is gone, you'll have aged regular BCBS. And of all the coffee beers I've had (a lot of them), I've never had one where the coffee was completely gone. And I'm betting you'll think there's a ton of coffee flavor since you've never had it before. Pull the trigger on this! If not, I'll paypal you the money and you can send it to me.

22. mlhyatt

mlhyatt Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2013 Georgia

Personally, I wouldn't trade or buy for coffee stout more than 1 year old. BCBCS falls off pretty quick and hits its best spot at about 7 months when all the flavors really come together. The 2011 might still be good, but if you're looking for coffee, do not get it.

If you go in expecting or thinking it will taste like regular BCBS, why not just buy some of that?

mtskier likes this.
  23. chcfan

chcfan Zealot (563) Oct 29, 2008 California

Then most definitely drink one now or at least not wait too many months. It's really personal preference as to whether or not it is too hot now (I don't think so) but in general I don't think it makes sense to age beer without having a fresh one to form a basis of comparison.

24. Jstonerock24

Jstonerock24 Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2014 Ohio

I had a 2011 and 2012 and the coffee was still pretty nice in both. Everything was so smooth! Delicious!!!

PsilohsaiBiN likes this.
  25. WhoKnew23

Yeah, I love them when they are "hot". I think most BA beers are not "hot" enough.

26. nuggetlover

nuggetlover Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2012 Pennsylvania

I agree, Bourbon County is great fresh,but becomes otherworldly with time fading the burn.

27. JonnyBeers

JonnyBeers Disciple (345) Oct 24, 2012 Canada (BC)

Have had 2013 a couple times recently and it seems to have turned into a mocha chocolate bomb. coffee faded a bit, but still fairly present. depends on what you usually drink for coffee I guess.

28. gibson584

gibson584 Initiate (128) Dec 11, 2010 Kentucky
    Trader

I've had mixed experience aging bcbcs. I've had some where it was still great but with slightly less coffee flavor. I also had a 2010 bomber that I opened about a year ago that was a complete drain pour. The coffee flavor had turned into an old coffee acidic mess. From my experience regular bcs drinks the best with at least a year on it, but I enjoy the coffee most as fresh as possible.

29. Fox82791

Fox82791 Devotee (462) Jun 20, 2014 New York

I've had two years old BCBCS and it was actually getting hotter, and the coffee definitely faded. I'd say one year is prime as the coffee overpowers the other flavors when fresh.

30. aj_tuna

aj_tuna Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2014 California

I have the reverse problem. I have the '11 Bcbcs and don't know if I should drink it or trade it?

BrownBottle likes this.
  31. PhillyBoy23

PhillyBoy23 Initiate (116) Feb 3, 2015 New Jersey

I had 2013 coffee on draft and the coffee was faded.

32. PsilohsaiBiN

PsilohsaiBiN Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 New York

Did a '12-'14 BCBCS vertical on X-Mas with the fam and '12 was drinking fine, as were the other two. If the coffee faded in either '12 or '13, it wasn't substantial at all. They still tasted like BCBCS, although slightly different than one another.

Fwiw, I cellar in boxes with basically no light hitting the beer. I've heard people say that if you don't refrigerate BCBCS that the coffee with totally fade and the beer will taste like standard BCBS...BS.

33. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (229) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'd go for it. I had a 2012 recently and it was drinking phenomenally. I actually preferred it to the 2014 coffee. Going to do a 2012-2014 mini-vertical soon to compare the past 3 years. If I saw 2011 on the shelf somewhere I'd snap it up. And hey, if you don't want it, shoot me a BM and maybe we can work out a trade; I'd love to add a 2011 to my vertical this winter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.