Aging beer in cans?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Raj, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Raj

Raj Aspirant (266) Jun 25, 2014 Washington
    Trader

I recently got a bunch of Revolution barrel aged beers in cans. The beers are very good, but a little hot for my taste and I'm planning to cellar the non-adjunct ones. The Rev cans says you can cellar them, but they don't provide any guidelines about how long they can be aged. So I'm wondering:
    1) Does anyone have experience with extended cellaring of cans?
    2) Does the beer age more slowly than bottles, because cans are less permeable to light and oxygen?
    3) Do any off flavors like a metallic taste develop?
    4) I know some cans are lined with exopy/BPA and I wonder if those chemicals will get into the beer with time.

Thanks

BigIslandfarmer likes this.
  2. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,324) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

ALL aluminum beer cans are lined with a neutral water-based polymer lining. Without a lining, the beer would come into direct contact with the metal, causing off-flavors and, eventually, probably failure due to corrosive chemical reaction.

As for the paranoia and conspiracy theories about the lining's BPA, do a forum search for the pro and con opinions (well, you'll have to sort out the BPA = Belgian Pale Ale comments).

3. youradhere

youradhere Zealot (515) Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Trader

Exactly what @jesskidden said. I am in the camp that believes that can lining does have BPA which is a synthetic estrogen that is released in extremely tiny does over time in contact with a liquid.

Do I still drink cans? You betcha, I just now know that my man titties are the result of poor diet and synthetic estrogen from cans.

Will aging in a can affect flavor of the beer? I don’t think so, I’ve had 10 year old MGD in a can and it actually tasted better than fresh.

Is aging in a can superior to that of a bottle? Not in my opinion- they are both a sealed container, also refer back to the BPA and man titties above.

4. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,227) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

No moobs here, and the five year old 10.50 I had was pretty tasty.

5. dlcarst

dlcarst Initiate (87) Aug 21, 2015 Illinois

Aging cans is awesome. They keep light out. They're stackable and a more efficient use of space for those of us with small cellar spaces. 3 years is my max so far but I've heard plenty of people who have aged them much longer with no complaints.

6. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (5,108) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

I've aged quite a few cans of Ten Fidy, and my perception is that they probably age slower than other similar Imperial Stouts in bottles.

kemoarps and SFACRKnight like this.
  7. phildow

phildow Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2013 Michigan

I'll have to report back in when I find someone to partake in my 5 year vertical of Ten Fidy with.

kemoarps likes this.
  8. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,227) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

I'm in. I will bring a five year vert of Mephistopheles so we can compare cans and bottles.

kemoarps, jmdrpi, Bitterbill and 2 others like this.
  9. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (439) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

It seems like that this layer you are referencing could have imperfections or could degrade over time also causing the beer to be exposed to metal.

Is this probable or is their evidence one way or the other?

10. youradhere

Trader

I think it would degrade over time and/or have imperfections or is susceptible to any form of mechanical or chemical failure.

But logic could argue “do cellphones really give you brain tumors?” “Does smoking really cause cancer, or were they predestined?” “Are food dyes really causing gene damage, or is your kid just a turd?”

I think one would be incredibly naive to believe mass produced items are completely safe, especially when they are synthetic, and synthetics are known to break down for any reason- pH, UV light, heat, physical damage, etc.

11. alorac87

alorac87 Initiate (63) Jan 2, 2010 New Jersey

I just found this thread while googling... and needed to go reset my password (haven't been on in a while) just so I could sign in and respond...

The irony of blatant chemophobia like this on a forum that discusses alcoholic beverages is literally too much for me to handle. I am actually going to schedule a doctor's appointment right now because I'm 100% certain that your post has given me cancer. Probably because it was "synthetic" or something. I dunno.

12. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (804) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Unless you're heating your cans to >100C, the BPA in your can is staying right where it is, in the lining, because it's not alcohol soluble.

13. youradhere

Trader

Haha relax, the cancer you likely have now was caused by cellphone radiation over the last 15 years or that weekly dose of benzene from filling your gas tank. Or, if you like we can talk about what is in your tap water if there is fracking anywhere near an aquifer by you. Let’s not get into the electromagnetic neurodamage from living under hi power electric transmission lines....

Life will kill you before trace amounts of can liner slowly gives you stomach cancer- or not, there still isn’t irrefutable evidence. Just accept that you will die (someday), and you can only control how happy you are up to that point- drinking canned beer brings me happiness.

kemoarps and Number1Framer like this.
  14. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

Please Google "hormesis" and/or "hormetic curve" and "adaptive response".

More profound than I'm used to seeing on BA, but that makes it no less true.

15. youradhere

Trader

I looked up hormesis and adaptive response and that pretty much (I think) sums up to what I’m referring to, only in this instance you have to believe in a hormetic curve (without controversy to its legitimacy according to wiki) to suffer the consequences of can liner exposure. I believe it is harmful- hell I believe a lot of our modern comforts are the root cause of our issues- however you have the whole vastness of beer drinkers to convince, which is why I play conservative with those claims. Up until 30, possibly 25 years ago smoking was considered a “diet” and therefore healthy; they did the same thing with amphetamines in WWII for pilots and troops, and later Twiggys in the ‘60s. My whole sarcastic bent was to say if you still don’t believe it will kill you eventually it doesn’t matter, because you will die. We all die. Muhwaa haaa haaaaaaaaaa!

EvenMoreJesus and kemoarps like this.
  16. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

Oh . . . definitely. Lots of stuff out there that is supposed to make our lives easier, less expensive, and more enjoyable is bad for us, like beer, and stuff that aids in farming and industry being more efficient is definitely fucking with all of us.

And, yeah, we're all worm food regardless of how well we lead our lives, but that shouldn't be a reason to not live them to the fullest.

kemoarps likes this.