Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Aging RR Consecration?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by troughnbrew, Jan 16, 2013.

1. troughnbrew

Any advice on what amount of aging is/is not appropriate for stronger sours? I've been keeping Consecration for about two years (the last 750 ML bottling, whenever that was, probably late 2010). Thanks for your thoughts.

2. evilc

Vinne says 3 years right on the bottle for that beer.

3. stealth

Beer Trader

Older = better, imho. I've had consecration past the '3 year' limit and it was extraordinary.

4. jtmartino

Beer Trader

That's one beer that keeps getting better and better. So damn underrated around here (Bay Area) with everyone trying to get sours from everywhere else.

cfh64 and afrokaze like this.
  5. starrdogg

Beer Trader

My personal experience with Consecration is that age doesn't necessarily make it better or worse, just different. I love that beer fresh, so maybe I'm not the best person to ask, but aging it just mellows the flavors a bit. The older bottles I've opened weren't as acidic or tannic as fresh bottles.

6. forgetfu

Beer Trader

I'm definitely a fresh consecration fan. Fresh, it's one of my favorite beers. With age, it's not my thing.

Knownfactor likes this.
  7. drgarage

Last year, we had a batch 1 750 (it was three years old at that point). Very different from fresh. Really intensely sour, crazy dry, thin body, and the carbonation had faded considerably. Still great, but not necessarily better than fresh. It would be your taste buds deciding which you prefer.

FeDUBBELFIST likes this.
  8. FunkyMacGroovin

I had a batch 2 a few months ago that tasted pretty damn good.

9. FeDUBBELFIST

Very well put. This matches my batch 1 experience from spring of 2012...although I wouldn't have called the mouthfeel thin, even though it was *thinner* than it is when fresh.

10. chcfan

They changed the recipe for batch 4, so the fresh Consecration really is a slightly different beer. Earlier batches were more sour. It's still great, but I prefer B1-B3. We did a B1-B7 vertical this summer and did not have any carbonation issues with earlier batches, either. That sounds like and aberration.

jtmartino likes this.
  11. jtmartino

Beer Trader

Not only were earlier batches more sour, the longer you sit on them the typically more sour/drier they get. I feel that fresh Consecration has a full, rich flavor, but a lot of sweetness that I like to see fade a bit.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe