Air travel question/swing top growlers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by J455K, Feb 12, 2018.

1. J455K

J455K Aspirant (202) Mar 24, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

So I have never done this and can't seem to find an answer using search. I'm traveling by plane and am going to check in a shipper as luggage. How do swing top growlers travel? The brewery I want to take only fills their swing tops. If the seal is good shouldn't be a problem correct?

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  2. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,291) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Why don't you contact the airline and ask them? Otherwise you may find them taking your beer at checkin and dumping it. Just give them a call and they will advise you on what you can or cannot do.
    Cheers

DoctorZombies likes this.
  3. J455K

Beer Trader

Oh I know I can travel with it....my question was more would they travel well? Didn't know with the swing top if it would stay sealed well like capped bottles do.

Harrison8 likes this.
  4. scream

scream Zealot (554) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

You might run some duct tape around the cap ?

5. J455K

Beer Trader

Yeah that's not a bad idea guess I could do it that way. Thanks!

6. MFMB

MFMB Savant (989) Jan 23, 2015 Idaho
    Beer Trader

I traveled from Beijing to San Francisco in November with a flip top growler. I wrapped the hell out of the flip top with electrical tape, lightly buble wrapped and double bagged while sealing the bag end with electrical tape. It made it no leaks. Of course every situation is different. It was a Delta flight btw. If you’re extra worried you can go over kill and saran wrap the flip top and then wrap it tight with electrical tape.

#6 MFMB, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  7. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,291) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

Oh, I would imagine as long as you secured it well it would be ok, also place into a plastic bag with seal. The plane's storage is pressurized and all so zero worry. Just make sure to wrap it up good.
    Cheers :slight_smile:

8. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,644) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire

I have flown with Swing top 750's multiple times with no issue. I use electrical tape and wrap it around the metal part so it can't accidentally swing open. Done this at least 10 times with at least 30 bottles total. Never had one leak.

9. dvmin98

dvmin98 Site Editor (2,584) Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina

I took a swing top growler from Charlotte to Vegas. I electrical taped the crap out of the top/neck of bottle and made it without a hitch.

J455K likes this.
  10. J455K

Beer Trader

Awesome guys, thanks for the responses!!

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  11. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (9,401) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Just thought I'd throw this in although the issue seems resolved... I've never done anything (electrical tape, plastic wrap, whatever) and never had an issue with a swing top growler. They're generally fairly hard to open and unless it was packed so that it could move around, which would be very bad on another level, it'll hold.

Also, unless you've got a special styrofoam shipper the best way to ship is with a box within a box. Make up your box, all sealed, and then put that inside a bigger box. That extra layer of protection on the outside goes a long way, and it gives more cushion to the box inside when it does get bumped and dropped.

12. papposilenus

papposilenus Crusader (786) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Which, if you've ever seen baggage being loaded and unloaded, is a given. That's your maximum point of peril, not in the pressurized hold.

@MFMB suggested wrapping the tops with Saran Wrap before you tape them and that's a very excellent idea - I once wrapped mine with duct tape and it was warm and humid and the adhesive melted all over the bale.

13. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,786) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming

I had some beers sent to me with saran wrap. My, that worked well!