Alaskan Brewing’s Smoked Porter Picks Up Medal Ahead of 2019 Release

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Jason, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (8,474) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

November 8, 2019 (JUNEAU, Alaska) – Every year since its debut in the fall of 1988, Alaskan Brewing Co. has released the latest vintage of their award-winning Smoked Porter. The brew has become the most award-winning beer in the history of the Great American Beer Festival, as well as one of the most coveted beers of its style. Most recently, Alaskan Smoked Porter added another medal to its long list of awards, taking silver at the European Beer Star Awards.

[​IMG]
    "The fact that our Smoked Porter continues to be internationally recognized is a testament to our amazing crew who produce a consistently high-quality beer that has stood the test of time," said Alaskan Brewing Co. co-founder Marcy Larson. “Unlike most brews, Alaskan Smoked Porter ages well over time, much like wine,” explained Larson. “Aging Smoked Porter develops in flavor and complexity and can mellow out the smokiness. No one vintage ages in the same way and it’s exciting to taste the different, nuanced flavors that start to come out each year.”

Alaskan Smoked Porter is dark and robust with a complex smoky flavor that comes from five different types of malt, with selected malts smoked over alder wood, a tree native to Alaska. “Our brewers were inspired by the wood-fired smokers used to smoke salmon in Southeast Alaska and came up with the idea to smoke malt over alder wood,” explained Larson. “The alder wood gives the beer a uniquely Alaskan quality that other smoked beers don’t possess – it’s mellow and slightly sweet compared to traditional rauchbiers.”

The brewery keeps a library of every vintage of Alaskan Smoked Porter going back to the early 90s. “Many members of our crew and our biggest fans have their own Smoked Porter collections – it’s amazing to witness the following that Smoked Porter has developed over the years,” said Larson. “We love that so many beer aficionados are as passionate about Smoked Porter as we are.”

Alaskan Smoked Porter will be available beginning in November in the 25 states where Alaskan beer is distributed.

For more information on the European Beer Star Awards, visit www.european-beer-star.com.

ericwo, Roguer, dcotom and 3 others like this.
  2. jonphisher

jonphisher Aspirant (214) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

This beer was the whole reason I started to trade in the first place. Now I haven’t had it in years. I doubt Alaskan ever makes distro to NJ sadly. Maybe it’s time for another trade I guess.

3. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,913) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

It is one beer that I can't do without.

beertunes and TongoRad like this.
  4. beertrip

beertrip Initiate (61) Feb 6, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

I really enjoyed this beer for a few years. I shared a bottle with a friend a few years ago and he said it tasted like band aids. I never noticed that until he mentioned it, ruined it for me. It's been a few years, I am tempted to get it again. Was definitely one of my favorites.

5. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,879) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I didn't care much for it, but it was one of my final styles on my goal of reviewing all 111.

6. Barettes

Barettes Initiate (125) Aug 4, 2019 Washington
    Trader

I've seen "tastes like bandaids" in reviews before and always end up wondering how and why people know what band aids taste like.

7. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,154) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

An OG beer right here...haven't had one in many many moons but it was one of my first trades...

Bitterbill and jonphisher like this.
  8. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,532) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

It's been years since I had this beer, and that was early in my craft beer experience and the some turned me off. I've since had a number of other smoked beers and have decided that I like them now. The timing will be ideal for a comparison because I just read tonight on Bell's Facebook that the 4th release in the Leaves of Grass Series is going to be a smoked porter called To a Locomotive in Winter. No release date in mentioned.

9. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Aspirant (229) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

I picked up 2 bottles a couple of weeks ago in Springfield, MO when I was up that way for work. I buy it almost every year, and have done a 3 year vertical the last 2 years.

Bitterbill and jonphisher like this.
  10. beertrip

beertrip Initiate (61) Feb 6, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Maybe it's the aroma? When I went to drink it, felt like I was putting my face into a freshly opened box of band aids. I tried to block that out as I drank, but sadly could not. So, not sure i was "tasting" band aids as much as smelling them.

JackHorzempa and Barettes like this.
  11. Barettes

Barettes Initiate (125) Aug 4, 2019 Washington
    Trader

That makes sense, I agree it's hard to separate smell from taste sometimes, especially with an unpleasant aroma

12. mikeg67

mikeg67 Poo-Bah (1,963) Nov 12, 2010 New Jersey

I tried this beer on tap at the brewery. It was is amazing.

alucard6679 and Bitterbill like this.
  13. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (98) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

Always a favorite.

Bitterbill likes this.
  14. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,251) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Some folks have brought up the aspect of a band-aid aroma/flavor. This is caused by a chlorophenol compound(s). I have experienced chlorophenol in other smoked beers as well (e.g., Schlenkerla Eiche with a medicinal aroma/flavor).

It would seem that the utilization of smoked malts can sometimes create chlorophenols. In addition it might be the case that some individuals are more sensitive (i.e., more perceptive) of chlorophenols.

Cheers!

Barettes, Bitterbill and PapaGoose03 like this.
  15. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (228) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

Had the 2019 the other day and it's as delicious as always

Squire and Bitterbill like this.
  16. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,352) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

My conclusion exactly.

Bitterbill and alucard6679 like this.
  17. beardown2489

beardown2489 Disciple (390) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

On tap at my local barbecue place. Lord have mercy is this beer the perfect partner for burnt ends.

PapaGoose03 and Bitterbill like this.
  18. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,532) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I saw on Facebook yesterday that the Bell's version is being released now.

Bitterbill likes this.