Albany-Cooperstown

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by skipjack17, May 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skipjack17

skipjack17 Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2009 Massachusetts

I'm heading out to Cooperstown this weekend for a vintage base ball tournament at Brewery Ommegang. Instead of driving all the way out on Friday, we'll be staying in Albany. What are some good places to hit up for the night? I was told about a German beer hall, but never got the name.

Any suggestions for bars, breweries, or shops?

Thanks!

2. bayridge27

bayridge27 Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2009 New York

City Beer Hall usually hasd good stuff on tap.....

Albany Pump Station is good too (havent been in 6+ years, so Im not sure how good it still is)

3. makisupapolice14

makisupapolice14 Aspirant (223) Jun 5, 2005 New York

german beer hall place is called wolfs biergarten...down the road from pump station.

4. Fujii13

Fujii13 Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2011 New York

Wolf's is as much of a german beer hall as the ones in teen Eurotrip movies and Disney World are. You can check the tap list here, which is reliable (read: never, ever changes). It's the place to go for people to get their free 2 liters of beer out of a boot on their birthday and for those wanting to experience the caricature of a beer garden, with peanuts you throw on the floor, fake trees, and a board with painted lederhosen characters on it with cutouts for your heads. Still, if it's nice out you can overlook these things when they have the garage doors open and you're looking to drink outside. Food is pretty typical, though.

City Beer Hall can be pricey but worth it, and a much better menu. If you go earlier in the evening Lionhart Pub has a great beer selection and some cheap prices, but gets a little bro-ish in the later hours on the weekends. Excelsior Pub might be an option if you want to check out their all-New York tap list including some new beers from Rushing Duck which will likely be leftover from Thursday's Meet the Owners Night.

This probably doesn't apply to most on BA but if you're a Dogfish Head fan it would be worth the drive over to Troy to check out The Ruck's semiannual Dogfish Head Night that Friday with 30+ drafts going, a couple of Randalls, a cask and some vintage bottle offerings. I'll be there for some extra Untappd unique ticks. :grinning:

merc7186 likes this.
  5. Jamoult

Jamoult Initiate (0) Jun 25, 2008 New York

When is the baseball at ommegang?

6. skipjack17

Saturday and Sunday. I'm not sure how much Ommegang has to do with it, but it is supposed to be played on the field behind the brewery.

7. Mag00n

Mag00n Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2008 New York

City beer hall or the Ruck, fa sheezy

jmdrpi likes this.
  8. nyrblue2

nyrblue2 Disciple (340) Jun 9, 2012 New York

Where in Albany? Downtown? Suburbs?

Downtown, my preferred locales are Pump Station (only brewery in immediate vicinity, restaurant, bar - right next to Albany Distillery if you're interested in whiskey), The Merry Monk and City Beer Hall. Lionheart is alright, but is douche central. I wouldn't bother with the Ruck - it's in Troy...and Troy is never worth going to...

If you're out in the suburbs and closer to Schenectady, my favorite local place is the Bier Abbey.

As for stores, Oliver's Beverage and Westmere Beverage are the best. Hoosick Street Beverage is also really good...but once again is in Troy...

9. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (8,573) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

I'll repeat the recommendations of City Beer Hall, Merry Monk, and The Ruck. All solid places.

And as for shops, Hoosick Street Beverage in Troy has a good selection.

10. Mag00n

Mag00n Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2008 New York

Yea who would want to go to Browns, dinosaur bbq, riverside farmers market, and the Rucks tap list poops on the monks(although the atmosphere at the monk is obviously much better).

And schenectady is not exactly Beverley Hills.

vonnegut21 and jmdrpi like this.
  11. vonnegut21

vonnegut21 Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2012 New York

This is some kind of terrible attempt at humor, right? Troy is 1000x better than Schenectady could ever hope to be.

OP, there are lots of good suggestions here. IMO the Ruck is the best beer bar in the area. Definitely worth a trip (though it can get a bit bro-ish late night just like Lionheart). City Beer Hall and Pump Station are good options. I don't hate the Biergarten nearly as much as Fuji does--it can be a fun place to hang out, play darts and drink large mugs of beer.

If you find yourself down by the Pump Station, stop into the Olde English pub. Mostly generic taps, but a cool faux-English Pub atmosphere and there are usually two casks on that have been really good the past few times I was there (I believe the casks were Sculpin and Wandering Star USSR last time I was there...).

12. skipjack17

Thanks for all the suggestions. I didn't get the room, so I'm not sure where we are staying. I'll bring a list a throw a few ideas around once we're out there.

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.