Alchemist Drop

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by Kuester, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Kuester

Kuester Initiate (98) May 14, 2012 Colorado

Looks like we are getting a limited amount of the former #1 US beer on this website and still #5, Heady Topper, as well as Focal Banger.

https://www.porchdrinking.com/artic...is-coming-to-colorado-in-limited-distribution

Never ever got into trading but Heady is one that makes me regret that, would have loved to try it back in the day. Will definitely be different now that I've had hundreds of NE IPA's but still can't wait personally.

eppCOS likes this.
  2. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (364) Jan 12, 2014 Bahamas
    Trader

especially when you realize it doesn’t taste anything like a “NEIPA”

3. Kuester

Luckily I'm an all IPA lover lol

4. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,451) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

I was just bitching about how when I trade we get drops of what i traded for. Now if i could only get some HF hops on our shelves

5. travis224

travis224 Initiate (191) Jul 24, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

Wow. This almost seems too good to be true. What's the catch? And next week? Dang.

eppCOS and SFACRKnight like this.
  6. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,681) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

I still really Heady Topper a lot. I never would have guessed in a million years we'd see it on CO shelves. Hopefully I'm able to grab a couple cans before it's gone.
    Focal Banger can die in a fire, though. It might look like Heady and the like, but it tastes like salty onions and ditch weed.

7. SFACRKnight

Trader

So gubna rebranded?

sharpski, eppCOS and Bitterbill like this.
  8. Domingo

Society

Kind of like a super hazy blend of old school Alpine Duet and one of the slightly better versions of the Gubna. More weedy than oniony, but I don't like either flavor much.
    I bet a lot of the NEIPAs that people dislike and breweries get defensive over are based on Focal Banger.

eppCOS, Bitterbill and SFACRKnight like this.
  9. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poo-Bah (3,895) May 19, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Will probably be on the shelf next to thr 'Loons :grin:

FarmerTed and SFACRKnight like this.
  10. SFACRKnight

Trader

I'll look but I'm not holding my breath

11. Domingo

Society

We did randomly get a (real) Cantillon drop a few weeks ago. 3F is now on a lot of shelves around town...although mainly the pricy and/or large bottles. People are discussing pilsners and Royal Oil seems to be well known all over the country now.
    Strange times, man, strange times.

eppCOS and SFACRKnight like this.
  12. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,370) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Hey now, I feel personally attacked. :wink:

13. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poo-Bah (3,895) May 19, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

3F is at Applejack. Large and small bottles...and mongo-size

14. SFACRKnight

Trader

3F is everywhere it seems. The south side is loaded.

15. clusterfolk

clusterfolk Initiate (89) Jun 20, 2014 Colorado

First alchemist drop happened yesterday... Mr B's said they sold out of 15 cases in an hour.

16. Canada_Dan

Canada_Dan Savant (906) Jun 14, 2013 Colorado

Both these beers are malty AF compared to how I remember them. I dig it, and not sure there's another beer like these available in the Colorado market, or anywhere for that matter.

Crazy how much the concept of what a NEIPA should taste like has changed in 5ish years. Maybe my taste buds have changed also or the beer has changed, but I honestly think it's just expectation vs. reality. I was expecting something like Juicy Bits from my mental archive, but got a mouth full of grain instead of juice (again in a good way...)

Anybody else have this experience?

#16 Canada_Dan, Jun 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    ChicagoJ likes this.
  17. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (364) Jan 12, 2014 Bahamas
    Trader

Alchemist beers happen to be brewed in New England. That’s the only thing that resembles what most people think a NEIPA should be. They’re closer to something from Lagunitas or Stone than they are to anything from your favorite haze factory.

18. Canada_Dan

Canada_Dan Savant (906) Jun 14, 2013 Colorado

That makes more sense. It's been so long since I last had them that I was definitely expecting/remembering a different beer.

I see the similarities with Stone and definitely more West Coast than NE style, but I'm still thinking these are uniquely malty and feature a different flavor profile than your "typical" IPA from either coast.

Either way, digging the drop and happy to revisit these classic brews. Cheers!

ChicagoJ and Kuester like this.
  19. SFACRKnight

Trader

My recollection of Heady is that it was ugly AF, had a fruity edge, peach esters, and some pine in there as well. Not the New England juice bombs of today.

20. travis224

Trader

Yeah, Heady is really more of a WC IPA with some slight haze to it, in my opinion. The super dialed-in blend of hops and malts and good water really makes it its own thing though. But if you gave it to me blind, I'd call it a WCIPA.

I haven't lived in New England for a while, but I'm from there and visit often. My first memory of a real NEIPA was having a Trillium Congress St. or maybe Fort Point. That was the first beer I had where it looked like orange juice, and I remember there was some serious disagreement about whether this was acceptable or not in the beer community.

I'm not sure who first brewed a hazy IPA, but if I had to put $ on it, it'd be Trillium. A lot of the original IPAs from New England that people think started the NEIPA craze: Alchemist and Lawson's would really be described as WC style these days, I think. I've never had any of Hill Farmstead's hoppy beers, so I can't comment on them.

But I also remember that even before the haze craze there was a somewhat playful feud b/w WC and NE IPAs, but I can't really remember what the distinction was. I'm vaguely remembering something about WC IPAs having more tropical notes and NE IPAs having more pine or something, but maybe I'm wrong. Probably someone else here knows better than me.

traction likes this.
  21. traction

traction Zealot (561) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

Agreed. I have drank a lot of Heady and a lot of NEIPA's and while Heady might have helped inspire the NEIPA movement I refuse to call it an NEIPA; the same is true of Focal Banger.

22. Domingo

Society

The whole "New England IPA" term started with Heady (and Lawson's + Maine), so I don't really see how it could lose that status. It's the others that changed and went in other directions. At the time it came out people swore up and down that Heady must have contained juice.
    It's kinda like how most "West Coast" IPA's (a la Green Flash, Stone, and SN) were copper and closer to 90 Minute than say...Palate Jack or Hoparillo. The world changed around them.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  23. SFACRKnight

Trader

I would take your money on that bet. Aloine Nelson was hazy and juicy before anyone in the ne was doing that shit.
    On topic, thanks to all the unemployed people who bought up all the heady yesterday. Get a j9b.

clusterfolk likes this.
  24. bla211

bla211 Initiate (119) Mar 17, 2015 New York

Not sure if this is /s or not but a lot of people are working from home right now with increased flexibility. If this was /s then ignore me.

25. SFACRKnight

Trader

No sarcasm. I just wanted one fucking can man. Dudes were walking away with cases according to some of the employees at the stops I made.

Kman_Colorado and bla211 like this.
  26. travis224

Trader

Yeah, after I wrote that I realized I should have been more specific. I meant more like they were the first brewery to make hazy/juicy/NEIPAs their main thing, though I don't think they were called that back then. I could definitely be wrong about that, but I don't really consider Heady, Sip of Sunshine, and most of Maine to be NEIPAs as we think of them today. I have no doubt that homebrewers and various breweries brewed something close to a NEIPA over the years though.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  27. SFACRKnight

Trader

I think Heady was the beer to usher in the age of turbidity. I remember guys saying they wouldn’t even taste the beer after seeing all the crap that came out of the can with the beer. They also seemed to usher in hop bursting and large dry hopping. There are aspects from both coasts in heady, and I think that makes it so unique now as well.

Canada_Dan and travis224 like this.
  28. travis224

Trader

I got an extra can I could part with if you want to pick it up in the South Broadway area. Also, I might check with Wallaby's in Denver. They posted getting some in yesterday and it currently has a single like on Facebook. When I got there more than an hour later, there was plenty left. If anyone still had some, I think it would be them.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  29. Kuester

Also I think the SE part of town gets their CSA truck today

30. SFACRKnight

Trader

31. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Poo-Bah (3,855) Jun 9, 2006 Colorado
    Society Trader

I got a four pack of each, happy to sell you a can of each at cost or just give em to ya.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  32. SFACRKnight

Trader

Nabbed a 4 pack in castle rock. Thanks to all the offers guys. Its been years since I have been this stoked for a drop.

Kuester, travis224 and ArrogantB like this.
  33. Domingo

Society

I got a 4-pack of Heady at Davidson's yesterday. It tastes more or less how I remember (I've had it maybe 5-6 times), although I've never had one this young before. Pretty crazy that they pulled that off.
    It doesn't taste as sweet and purely fruity as Juicy Bits or (especially) Lupulin Burst, but the bitterness and hop character is definitely way different from what was coming out of San Diego and Portland in the mid to late 00's. I've always like the slight toasty note about it.
    It's amusing to look through all of the FB posts where people seem to either love it or think it's the most overrated thing in the universe. I think you could literally change the name of the beer and they'd be word-for-word the same as comments about Westvleteren, Pliny the Younger, or whatever the latest candy/coffee stout is.

Mebuzzard and SFACRKnight like this.
  34. SFACRKnight

Trader

And it's better than I remembered.

35. travis224

Trader

Definitely lives up to the hype, IMO. One of the most perfect hoppy beers out there.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  36. WillemHC

WillemHC Initiate (142) Jun 21, 2013 Utah

I think the other thing they (Alchemist) did earlier on than most breweries was make an IPA with not California ale yeast or some similar strain. In other words they were using English strains earlier on when all of the IPAs (especially WC IPAs) were using less expressive yeast. So I think they were innovative in the yeast and emphasis on dry hop with less bittering, which makes a more fruity aromatic beer like what we are accustomed to with the east coast style. Then it got taken to a new level by breweries like Trillium and Treehouse.

Also for the record. I love Heady Topper so much. I think if you get past the notion that it is going to be a NE IPA and also accept that this doesn't mean it's a WC IPA, it allows you to appreciate it kind of as it's own thing. And it is a lovely experience every time for me. Grassy, citrusy, a little bit bitter. So good.

FlyFishStout, Domingo and Canada_Dan like this.
  37. SFACRKnight

Trader

Lagunitas used English ale strains as well. Fermentation temps can be manipulated to allow ester production, but I do agree Heady ushered yeast esters into the IPA game for certain.

38. Domingo

Society

I had an interesting revelation yesterday. I actually think Heady tastes a lot like an imperial/double version of Boulder's Hazed and Infused. They both have that same dry hop toasty flavor combo, only Heady is (obviously) way kicked up. I'm oversimplifying, but it hits the same flavor points for me.

Anyone have any insight whether we'll be getting more or does "limited distribution" really mean this was a one-time thing? Focal can still die in a fire, but I can see myself buying more Heady if it's there to be had.

39. SFACRKnight

Trader

I would imagine as things go back to normal and breweries open up we will be seeing things return to the way they were. I haven't seen any outer range drops in the last couple weeks. I've really enjoyed going in to Lukas or Davidsons and grabbing some Cerebral and Outer range but I suspect it's coming to an end.

40. Schmittymack

Schmittymack Zealot (541) Sep 3, 2008 Colorado
    Trader

Heady is good and for two or three years, it was quite easy for me to trade/buy it from an East Coaster as we headed for Dark Lord Day. Haven't traded for/bought it now for about four years. Kinda like PtE: definitely a good to great beer, but too much damn work for this old man to seek it out anymore. I can find great IPAs/DIPAs with no work (Myrcenary, Juicy Banger, Bout Damn Time, Odd 13's offerings, etc, etc). If I stumble across PtE, yeah, I get a bottle or two but don't seek it out anymore. The past two years I have looked for/gotten PtY when it's hit, however. It's great that at least one of the tappings of that has been on my days off!