Alchemist Drop

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by Kuester, Jun 13, 2020.

1. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Disciple (397) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

Avery too right? Or at least I always thought Avery was using my favorite ale yeast, WL 013 (Wyeast 1028). I straight up asked Dustin Lemoine several times when he was our rep and he refused to Confirm or deny it in a way that made me pretty sure I was right.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  2. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,454) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

It is possible. I know their big ass stouts use a Belgian strain. Westmalle if I recall.

ManBearPat likes this.
  3. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,683) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Apparently (per Grapevine), the Alchemist drop won't be a one time thing. That doesn't necessarily mean it'll be a regular occurrence, but if Heady keeps showing up, I'll keep buying it.
    As far as yeasts go, I remember Scott at Wit's End coaxing some crazy Belgian notes out of a pretty standard WC ale yeast. For his first couple years he only used that one yeast for everything and the results couldn't have been any different.

eppCOS, SFACRKnight and bfields4 like this.
  4. bfields4

bfields4 Zealot (586) Dec 11, 2007 Colorado

I should be better at remembering (I spent a while behind the bar back in the day), but I'm pretty sure his house yeast was a Belgian strain.. man I miss that place.

5. Domingo

Society

That would make more sense (JCVB and all), but I could swear I asked about Green Man and Wilford and he told me it was a normal 'ol ale yeast he got from Seattle. Then again, I'm also aging rapidly and that was like 10 years ago.

bfields4 likes this.
  6. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Disciple (301) Nov 24, 2011 Colorado

It's pretty damn crazy that I can buy Pliny and Heady off a shelf in Colorado.

Oh, and the 3F lambic in case I'm feeling fancy.

eppCOS, Mebuzzard, ManBearPat and 2 others like this.
  7. SFACRKnight

Trader

Total wine has shelves of 3F right now. I'm hoping we see some FFF love in this whole shit show.

StubFaceJoe likes this.
  8. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Aspirant (213) May 31, 2011 Colorado

Stumbled across a 2'er of Heady/Focal today. This was my first Heady. It was good. I probably like Pliny better. Glad I didn't have to trade away a kidney to figure that out.

SFACRKnight and Kuester like this.
  9. Domingo

Society

The Pliny comparisons are interesting. I feel like both PtY and PtE still taste more or less like the upper tier clean/WC IPA's out there. We might have individual preferences for Comrade, Boneyard, Breakside, Societe, La Cumbre, etc. but it's not like any of them feel like they're headed in a new direction away from Pliny.
    With the hazy/juicy IPA's, a lot of them have gone in a different direction. In some cases (like "milkshake" varieties), they've deviated into something else entirely. Depending on what you want, that could be good or bad.
    At first it was kinda fun reading about people call Heady overrated and such. Yet unlike previous "best beers" like Westy 12, Pliny, etc. it's almost like some folks are legitimately upset. It's very weird. It's just beer.

eppCOS, SFACRKnight and ChicagoJ like this.
  10. SFACRKnight

Trader

It's like 2pac and biggie. People get invested into the west vs east coast thing.

ManBearPat likes this.
  11. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (487) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Grabbed a Focal Banger today and drank it out on horsetooth whilst cruising around on my SUP.

Couldn’t disagree more with @Domingo regarding the onions and weeds.. it was really lightly bitter and fruity, yet well balanced and smooth.. got some cantaloupe notes and peachieness.. really surprised to hear that take on it especially considering how sensitive I am to that awful onion nonsense that hops seem to put out at times... maybe you need to revisit, Chris!

eppCOS likes this.
  12. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (364) Jan 12, 2014 Bahamas
    Trader

Hops can change dramatically. I’ve had FB be completely dank onion/garlic and be almost completely the opposite, just mango fruity goodness. Honestly I feel like the hop character in HT and FB is different just about every time I have them.

13. Domingo

Society

It has been a while since I've had one, but I straight-up hated it the two times I've tried Focal. So much so that I was done after 1-2 sips. One of 'em was the first thing I tried at the DRBT. Not a good start for the day at all. That glass got dumped long before I reached the stairwell.
    If I see one (we're supposed to get more), I'll snag one. I can't commit to 4 of them, though.

ManBearPat likes this.
  14. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,377) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

With FB< I had vastly different results when I drank from the can: everything bagel, vs. pouring it into the glass (more bitter tropical, as kind of expected). Interesting it hit so differently. But the Focal reminded me, from the can at least, of X-Ray out of Soulcraft.
    (And again, I love everything bagels so whatever... hit me).

15. WillemHC

WillemHC Initiate (142) Jun 21, 2013 Utah

My experience with Focal confuses me. I have family that lives about an hour from Waterbury/Stowe so I've been to the Alchemist I think three times since they opened the bigger facility and I've always bought a mixed case. I think the first year I bought two four packs of Focal and was not enjoying it, at least relative to the other beers. The next visit I remembered the meh Focal and so I bought just one four pack. That time it ended up being my favorite and I regretted not having more. The third time I think I got two four packs and again ended up wishing one of them was more Heady or something. Idk if it's inconsistency or that my preferences fluctuate and I'm not even aware of what they are, or that maybe FB has some sort of crazy window of optimal, but it seems somehow hit or miss. I do think though that when it's on and I seem to be in the mood for it, it's an awesome experience.

Domingo likes this.
  16. Domingo

Society

Y'all have me convinced to give it another go. If I see more FB on the shelf, I guess I'll buy some. If it sucks, it shouldn't be very hard to find someone to trade or give it to.

eppCOS and SFACRKnight like this.
  17. SFACRKnight

Trader

ISO: half a can of focal banger
    FT: oregano pilsner

18. Spaceman_Jer

Spaceman_Jer Defender (684) Jan 27, 2015 Colorado

I didn't grab any of the Alchemist stuff when it arrived (was out of town), but have enjoyed Heady in the past and would consider it a nice treat if more shows up in the future. That being said, is anybody else PUMPED that we've been getting Lawson's drops like every 6-8 weeks for this entire year? I don't know about you guys, but grabbing 1-2 week old "Sip of Sunshine" on a semi-regular basis has been one of the VERY FEW truly great things about 2020. And it doesn't seem like it's been mentioned much on the Mountain Forum so I was just curious if anybody else has been buying it.

In fact, I'm about to crack a Sip of Sunshine open right now...

Domingo and SFACRKnight like this.
  19. Domingo

Society

I like all of the Lawson's stuff I've ever had. Both the old stuff and the newer cans.
    Along with H.F. and Trillium, those are my favorite breweries in that region.

Anyone remember when we had draft HF in Denver for a few months? It was at the peak of the "if it isn't rare and packaged, I don't want it" era, aka. 2015/2016. Just after half of Chicago moved to Denver. As a result it actually hung around for the better part of 2016. I wonder if that'll ever happen again.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  20. SFACRKnight

Trader

Wasn't that part of crooked Stave Big Splash when they started distribution?

21. Kman_Colorado

Kman_Colorado Initiate (62) Aug 17, 2014 Colorado

As of yesterday, Parry's pizza HR had cans of Focal Banger and Heady. I tried a Heady for the first time. I enjoyed it, but I would be just as happy with other IPAs.

On a side note they also have Lunch on tap. I didn't get a chance to try it though.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  22. Domingo

Society

I don't really know the context of of the timing, but it looks like Dorothy and Arthur were in Denver from March of 2015 through June of 2016. I know I've seen random HF tap takeovers (and for GABF/WBC), but that's the only large quantity drop I can recall.

Crooked Stave's distro wing has brought us some straight-up magic over the years, so I doubt you'll never hear anything bad about them from me. With everyone going lager crazy right now, it would be pretty cool if they'd snag one of the more obscure German, Austrian, or Czech breweries.

SFACRKnight and travis224 like this.
  23. Steve_0

Steve_0 Aspirant (203) Mar 14, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

I would just love to see them or someone bring Heater Allen in.

gyorgymarlowe likes this.
  24. Domingo

Society

I wouldn't mind that, either. That reminds me...does anybody in CO or even other markets use those tall/thin 1/2L bottles like they do in Oregon? I don't know if I've seen those anywhere else.

25. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Devotee (487) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Glad some of you are liking the heady, for me I will second @Domingo focal and die in a massive fire and to add,,,, heady can burn as well.

For me, it's always a treat to have CO IPAs and other brews when I visit Denver. You guys got it dialed in right for my tastes.

ManBearPat likes this.
  26. Domingo

Society

What's amusing is that for years 90% of our IPA's were basically like GD's Titan. There's a whole BA thread of people lamenting that. :grin: Odell turned that on its head and places like Comrade and Cannonball Creek (and later Odd 13 and Weldwerks) made CO an IPA-focused state again. Pretty crazy. It's actually kinda tough to even find the older style of CO IPA now. Avery and Great Divide have slowly reformulated theirs so even they're kinda modern'ish.

ManBearPat and GormBrewhouse like this.
  27. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Devotee (487) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Avery and weldwerks are must have brews when I visit along with a manditory stop to dry dock.

ManBearPat and Domingo like this.
  28. Domingo

Society

The Dock's Hop Abomination is one of those IPA's that has evolved a lot. I used to think it was pretty "meh" a few years ago, but it's fantastic now. Kind of odd they kept that name since it's a different/better beer than it used to be.

GormBrewhouse likes this.