Alchemist/Hills Farmstead advice

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by PlanetDougie, Mar 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PlanetDougie

PlanetDougie Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2015 New Hampshire

So I'm headed up that way for an overnight next month, up Thursday, back Friday.

1. Best kid friendly and beer friendly place for dinner in or near Waterbury

2. Shops most likely to have Heady Topper? In Waterbury Thursday or Greensboro Friday.

3. Best kid friendly and beer friendly place for lunch in Waterbury or Greensboro?

4. Is Hill Farmstead kid friendly?

Thanks!

2. dwmetsfan13

dwmetsfan13 Initiate (165) Jul 22, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Some/all of these can probably be answered with a little searching, but:

1. My vote would be for the Pro Pig - specifically the brewery for tacos
    2. Just check Alchemist's website. I think Waterbury gets their drop on Wednesday but some could be left the next day.
    3. There's not much in Greensboro per se but Parker Pie in Glover is good for pizza and beer
    4. It's not kid unfriendly but also isn't the most fun place in the world for a kid I wouldn't think. If you are just planning on bottles you should be in and out pretty quickly. If you want growlers it could be a bit of a wait although you'll be going at a relatively quiet time.

PlanetDougie and eb1610 like this.
  3. johng

johng Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2006 New York

I'm going to be up there myself next week, overnight Wed and Thurs, back Fri. 1. I would say The Reservoir in Waterbury or The Blue Stone. Blue Stone is gourmet pizza with good beer and I'm just a fan of The Res. Dining area in front, really good beer selection, big enough menu.
    2. If you get up there early enough, the Hunger Mtn. Coop in Montpelier sells cases of Topper, 1 per customer. They start selling around 9 am but last yr they still had cases around 12 noon. At 12 noon they also sell 1 4/pk of Lawson's SOS per customer. Check the Alchemist website for more info.
    3. In Morrisville, about 14 miles from Waterbury, could I suggest the Lost Nation Brewery and Brewpub??? About six or seven beers, always a root beer on draft, and they have a $10 slider special, three sliders, a side and a pint of beer. Farm-to-table kitchen, good food and nice beer. Also sells growlers and cans to go.
    4. Not kid-unfriendly. Not much to do for youngsters. ​

#3 johng, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    jhavs and Evmo31 like this.
  4. Evmo31

Evmo31 Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2015 Connecticut

Stop at hunger mountain on your way up if you can, it might be out of your way if you are headed straight to hill. Depending on timing you might be able to grab a case of heady, and if you're to late, it is still worth a stop. Only a few minutes off 89 and they have a nice beer selection. Looking at @headyspotter's twitter page, it looks like cases have been lasting until the afternoon recently at hunger mountain. Also +1 on prohibition pig in waterbury, amazing food, maybe the best burger I have ever had, plus a stellar taplist and a attached brewpub in back. A popular spot for food/beer near greensboro would be parker pie, they have been known to have incredible bottle/draft lists, and you can't go wrong with pizza for the little one. Also stowe area gets heady on friday morning, most places limit to 1 4 pack per person, but if you are there in the morning you can bounce around and score a bunch. This will be your best tool if you are trying to find a bunch of heady http://www.headyspotter.com

PlanetDougie likes this.
  5. bowery

bowery Initiate (48) Jul 3, 2014 California
    Trader

just go to prohibition pig, seriously i have dreams about that place

Evmo31 and jimmyfausto like this.
  6. patrickcmcd

patrickcmcd Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2010 Massachusetts

I saw kids at Hill last Friday but I can't say its kid friendly. They seemed bored. Plus, adults are waiting in line for draft beers holding fancy glasses.

lic217 likes this.
  7. vtcraft

vtcraft Initiate (186) Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Trader

if it is nice out HIllfarm has plenty of space for the kids to run around outside but that's about it. if the weather is bad the taproom can get crowded and notice for kids to do. if your getting growler fills I'd plan on waiting for an hour to 1.5.

8. marcrgrenier

marcrgrenier Initiate (68) Apr 22, 2015 New Hampshire
    Trader

For kid-friendly in waterbury, Arvads is also good. We had lunch there twice this summer with the kids. Not quite the same taplist as other restaurants in Waterbury but they did have cans of sip, focal, and heady and some fiddlehead on draft. Food was excellent.

You'll drive right past Montpelier on your way from NH to waterbury, plan to get to Hunger Mt at 1130 when Sip drops and you can get both Topper (cases starting at 8 am should last unless it is a vacation week) and SoS (2 4-pack limit pp this time of year) and also whatever other bottles Lawsons is releasing that week (lawsonsfinest.com for info).

PlanetDougie likes this.
  9. patrick802

patrick802 Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2010 Vermont

getting to Hunger mountain after 9:00am and your taking your chances. yes, some weeks it lasts a little longer into the morning. I would hate for people to give advice and then have the poor chap show up at 12:00 and not get any. if you really want heady I would be here at 7:30 and wait in line. you will be out of the store and back on the road by 8:30 with your case of heady topper.

10. elucas730

elucas730 Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2010 New York

1. Pro Pig and Reservoir in Waterbury are both kid friendly-ish. You might want to consider Stowe, which has more restaurant options. Piecasso might be a nice option for you.

2. Best bet for Heady is Hunger Mountain in Montpelier on your way up Thursday or in stowe if you are around late enough friday. There ain't bukpis in greensboro.

3. See #1

4. No, HF is not kid friendly. It's an hour and a half drive there and an hour and a half drive back. There are two things to do at HF: stand in line and drink beer. Honestly, if you are there to enjoy time with your family, skip HF, go to Ben and Jerrys, and just hang around Waterbury and stowe for food and beer.

11. JGLittle

JGLittle Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2012 Massachusetts

I took my girls aged 5 and 7 to Hill last weekend on our way to Jay. They were fine, Hill was pretty quiet end of the day Thursday. Depending on where you are headed afterwards, we all went to Parker Pie in West Glover afterwards and had pizza. My kids devoured a cheese plate at Hill. I have also taken my kids to Prohibition Pig before and it was pretty kid friendly.

PlanetDougie likes this.
  12. brownswisscow

brownswisscow Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2012 Vermont

there may not be 'much to do' but to say HF is not kid friendly is a flat lie. There are kids there every single day.

jhavs likes this.
  13. elucas730

If your definition of "kid friendly" is that they don't have to dodge booby traps and run from kidnappers, then yes, HF is "kid friendly".

As a parent with small kids, "kid friendly" means that a place has put in some consideration for children (eg, a restaurant that has a kids menu and high chairs). There is literally nothing for kids to do at HF. On top of that, there are a lot of cars going in and out and delivery trucks/heavy machinery moving product.

Yes, you can bring kids there. No, they won't enjoy it.

14. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (157) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

I think a lot of people are misinterpreting "kid-friendly." To me, that's asking if the place allows/tolerates kids, which for the most part I'm pretty sure breweries do. Whether the kids will enjoy the experience is a whole 'nother matter.

15. rhino88888888

rhino88888888 Initiate (128) Dec 12, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

When I was at HF last Labor Day, the wait was 3+ hours but there was a pretty good whiffle ball game going on the lawn with a bunch of kids ages 6-12. Doesn't seem like it would be hard to entertain the kids if the weather is nice and you pack a frisbee or a soccer ball.

16. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (2,051) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

There is a huge field to run around, kids there having fun every time I have been.

PlanetDougie likes this.
  17. brownswisscow

brownswisscow Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2012 Vermont

places are only kid friendly if you can stick an ipad in front of them and ignore them. lol
    bring some crayons and a coloring book or a soccer ball.

telejunkie and PlanetDougie like this.
  18. PlanetDougie

Thanks to all! Lots of good advice. I'll let you know how it works out!

19. telejunkie

telejunkie Aspirant (250) Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

What age group are you talking?…I've got 6,7, & 9 and last April went up there when it was rainy & miserable with snow still on the ground, full on mud season (aka not kid friendly). It was Friday morning and there was a 2.5-3hr wait for growlers…so needless to say, i got bottles (maybe a 15-20 min line). This year, I'll be bringing frisbees & soccer balls so if there is maybe an hour line, they can entertain themselves…kid friendly. We also stopped at Bread & Puppet museum which was a trip (no pun intended). The kids may have been a little creeped out by the puppets, but no nightmares, so that was good...

20. RKing44

RKing44 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2012 Massachusetts

Don't let your kids get in your way for whalez, bro. They sooner they realize waiting in line for 3-4 hours is normal, the better.

21. mjmcnns

mjmcnns Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2014 Canada (BC)

I'm going to be traveling from Montreal to Waterbury on a Thursday. From what I can tell, Waterbury deliveries typically occur Wednesdays. Will I be too late the day after? Or will I need to stop in at another town on my drive? It looks like Burlington gets deliveries on Thursday, for example?

22. bobv

bobv Poo-Bah (4,283) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Society Trader

Stowe Beverage gets deliveries of Heady every Friday and picks up 10 cases every Thursday. Off season room rates start early April in Stowe. Doc Ponds is on par with anything in Waterbury, has a kid's menu and 24 taps and a pretty extensive bottle list. The Bench is very solid as well. Idletyme has stepped up their game and next door Piecasso is super kid friendly with a game room, great pizza and a decent 12 tap draft list.

beanoboy7 and rhino88888888 like this.
  23. BiffWoodentree

BiffWoodentree Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2013 Connecticut

no love for black back. i would recommend that over pro pig.

24. elucas730

Blackback is tough with kids, especially young ones. Small inside, no kids menu, not even sure if they have high chairs (if needed).

25. PlanetDougie

Mine are 13, 11, and 8. If there is wifi 13 is happy. 11 and 8 need to run, so I will plan accordingly. If growler line is too long I'll bail for bottles. Or paste a moustache on one of them and put them in line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.