Aldi beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by hottenot, May 30, 2019.

1. hottenot

hottenot Aspirant (220) Aug 13, 2018 North Carolina
    Society

For awhile, Aldi had some honest to goodness German Bier.
    Even found some Licher a couple times.

Asking the workers gets you a blank stare. And a huh?

Now they have crappy "German Style" beer.
    I don't go to Aldi much anymore because of this.
    The selection now is a variety of (insert beer cussing here) Crap.

For a German store, you'd think there would be more German Bier.

Buckeye55 likes this.
  2. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,235) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

FBarber, Shanex and steveh like this.
  3. Doma

Doma Initiate (32) May 19, 2019 California

I really enjoy Wernesgruner Pils. Classic pils profile, not overhopped, grassy, dry finish. Ironically it's usually quite fresh if not the freshest pilsner I can buy.

4. rgordon

rgordon Savant (960) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

The German seasonals are mostly very good. My favorite Aldi also carries assorted Foothills and Highland Brewing flavors. It is one helluva good store. The wine, cheese and chocolate alone is worth a stop,,,,Also, the staff is helpful, and well informed. New Garden Rd. in Greensboro.

BrewsOverHoes, dbrauneis and dcotom like this.
  5. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,459) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I'm familiar with only two Aldi stores and both carry only about a dozen beers, therefore I don't have high expectations for Aldi as a beer store. I found the Feldschlößchen Maibock last year after reading about it here on BA, and it was very good. My store didn't have it this year, so I looked at another store while traveling in Ohio and found it there. Last year I also bought a bock that was pretty good, but I'll probably continue to purchase only the Maibock each year and that's all.

dcotom likes this.
  6. Roadkizzle

Roadkizzle Aspirant (207) Nov 6, 2007 Texas

This week we went to our Aldi to buy Wernesgrüner, an honest to goodness German beer but they were out.

So instead we bought Bacher, their German style lager from a Belgian brewery. And it's been enjoyable even though it's in a green bottle. It has good maltiness and probably some light sulfur instead of the hoppiness of the Wernesgrüner.

They also carry the Feldschlössen seasonals periodically and those are good from an honest to goodness German brewery in Dresden.

I've seen Licher there once and it was within the past year because it was after our Aldi renovated.

PapaGoose03 and dcotom like this.
  7. hottenot

Society

What I mean to say is there is NO German beer at all. Folded Mountains? Never heard of that.
    They haven't had any German beer in a month at least.

8. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,226) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

That stinks. Our Aldis have the Wernesgrüner Pils and Dark (not sure it's a true Dunkel) and Feldschloßchen beers in season.

FBarber likes this.
  9. hottenot

Society

Our Aldi in Denver, NC is a shame. Never have the same people for the most part. Lots of turnover. That doesn't explain the lack of German beer. I really don't care for chocolate, or anything really except for the beer. At Aldi at least. German store. Can't tell from the oddball brands they carry. I don't shop at Aldi because I always have to go somewhere else to complete my shopping. It's just the beer.

10. ChazBoner

ChazBoner Initiate (99) Jun 29, 2014 Tennessee

Bought a sixer of Bacher beer. Not bad at all, especially for $6. Will try the blue moon clone next.

FBarber likes this.
  11. Roadkizzle

I just bought a sixer of the Bacher because our Aldi sold out of Wernesgrüner this last week (I'll guess the next batch will be fresh).
    But I was very impressed. Good malt flavor. Didn't seem skunky despite the green bottles but there was some sulfur in there that balanced the sweet malt.

KentT and FBarber like this.
  12. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,825) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Wernesgrüner Dark?? I have not seen that one around, but if its in IL I'll have to find some.

steveh likes this.
  13. steveh

FBarber likes this.
  14. Roadkizzle

FBarber likes this.
  15. surfcaster

surfcaster Champion (806) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Society Trader

My father sent me home with a 12 oz Sicilian lager from Aldi. Could not tell age.

.........was vile.

16. FBarber

Society Trader

Semedorato? What, you don't like skunk's ass?

JackHorzempa and surfcaster like this.
  17. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,866) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I was at Aldi today and never thought about the beer selection. I might wait until Fest beers are popping up so I know they’re as fresh as possible. Only a few months away and the newly brewed beers are already closing in on a month old.

18. steveh

In the 10+ years I've been shopping at Aldi they've never had a Festbier or Oktoberfestbier.

However, they're constantly changing up products and different store across the country carry different items -- let us know if you see a Fest.

19. FBarber

Society Trader

Haven't seen an import, but the Aldi by me got this one in the last two autumns: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29402/242639/

I did not buy it, so I don't know if its any good.

20. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,464) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

MD laws (most counties, Eastern Shore has some though), no beers sold in grocery stores. We suck.

21. steveh

Oh yeah, I remember that one now. Wasn't the best Märzen, but it sold out pretty quick.

But I was really thinking imports -- always hoped to see a nice German Fest at Aldi.

FBarber likes this.
  22. hopley

hopley Meyvn (1,336) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

This is an interesting thread - I only spied it because I recognized the name Aldi as being the low budget crappy small supermarket we shop at as a last resort when we really need something when we're in the UK visiting my wife's mother...and that's where she sometimes gets a four pack of some equally low budget Tetley's stout or 8 pack of 8 oz. clear or green glass bottles of some German lager like what's been discussed above... It never really tastes all that bad, in fact quite refreshing, but I just never really took Aldi even semi seriously as a place to buy beer! I've often toyed with trying some of these options they sell, but when there are so many other beer options in England, it's not even a discussion point... And they don't have Aldi's in MA where I live, so guess I'm out of this discussion again...! Just my lousy .02 cents! Cheers!

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  23. rgordon

rgordon Savant (960) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

The Aldi where we shop could never be called crappy. I suppose they're different in different locales. I am certainly no initiate in grocery stores and the one we patronize is very good and always adding new items. It is a very nice store in a nice area.

24. jimmyfishkin

jimmyfishkin Aspirant (205) Nov 17, 2008 Wisconsin

I go to Aldi's for their produce, not beer selection. They sell some New Glarus stuff, mostly the seasonal and Spotted Cow. The beer they do have looks like cheap knock-off stuff, or brands I've never heard of.