Ale fan from Rhode Island

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Amendm, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Amendm

Amendm Disciple (332) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Premium

I have been surfing this site for years and finally took the plunge last month.
    This an extremely content rich site and I have learned a great deal, and appreciate the efforts.
    I wish I had kept notes on all the beers I have drunk over the last few years, I would have dozens to review.
    My "wheel house" is brown ales. I feel this is the middle ground for ales so I don't have to go to far up the heaviness ladder to porters and stouts and to far to the lighter side for pales, IPAs and blondes etc..
    I generally prefer beers that are simple and true to style. I am not a fan of beers aged in liquor barrels however I think that I could rate them fairly.
    I drink larger on occasion, that was all I drank years ago. Bass, Guinness and Ballantine XXX were treats.
    I look for balance between malt and hops-sweet taste and bitter, I think a lot of beers need more malt and a little less hops although the occasional hop bomb is A-okay.
    I did not take the craft beer movement seriously until about 6 years ago.
    I live less than 1 hour away from Tree House and plan to go up there in the near future.
    There are several breweries in Rhody and Southern Mass that I must visit.
    Salud, Skoal, Cheers, Drink-up.

2. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (2,214) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Premium

Welcome to the BA site, Amendm. Nice intro. Rhode Island is one of the states on my bucket list to visit and drink a beer while there. Some day...........

dcotom likes this.
  3. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,014) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

Hello Amendm, welcome to BA. I share your affection for Brown Ales and wish they were more widely available.

Mothergoose03 and dcotom like this.
  4. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (1,987) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Trader

Welcome to another New England name-dropper! :grinning::stuck_out_tongue::wink: Rhode Island is one of three states I haven't been able to tick off my beer list yet. (CT and ND are the others.) Any recommendations on RI and/or CT brews that get distro outside the area?

Cheers!

Mothergoose03 likes this.
  5. Amendm

Amendm Disciple (332) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Premium

For Rhode Island;
    Foolproof Brewing Company's Raincloud Robust Porter and The Grotto IPA are very good.
    Revival Brewing Company makes a very good Pale Ale called Fanny, named after an elephant from the local zoo. They also make a really solid brown ale called Revival Mercy Brown named after a local vampire legend.

Granola Brown by Black Hog Brewing Co. is the only Connecticut beer that I am sure I have tried and enjoyed.

Thanks for the welcome.

dcotom likes this.
  6. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (1,674) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

Welcome and Cheers from CT!

7. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,339) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

Welcome to BA! I definitely enjoy a good brown ale.

8. The_Snow_Bird

The_Snow_Bird Poo-Bah (1,517) May 7, 2015 Florida

Welcome to BA!!

9. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (2,647) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Premium Trader

Cheers and another welcome from Florida!