Ale fan from Rhode Island

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Amendm, Jun 14, 2018 at 1:49 AM.

1. Amendm

Amendm Initiate (156) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island

I have been surfing this site for years and finally took the plunge last month.
    This an extremely content rich site and I have learned a great deal, and appreciate the efforts.
    I wish I had kept notes on all the beers I have drunk over the last few years, I would have dozens to review.
    My "wheel house" is brown ales. I feel this is the middle ground for ales so I don't have to go to far up the heaviness ladder to porters and stouts and to far to the lighter side for pales, IPAs and blondes etc..
    I generally prefer beers that are simple and true to style. I am not a fan of beers aged in liquor barrels however I think that I could rate them fairly.
    I drink larger on occasion, that was all I drank years ago. Bass, Guinness and Ballantine XXX were treats.
    I look for balance between malt and hops-sweet taste and bitter, I think a lot of beers need more malt and a little less hops although the occasional hop bomb is A-okay.
    I did not take the craft beer movement seriously until about 6 years ago.
    I live less than 1 hour away from Tree House and plan to go up there in the near future.
    There are several breweries in Rhody and Southern Mass that I must visit.
    Salud, Skoal, Cheers, Drink-up.

2. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (2,225) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Premium Member

Welcome to the BA site, Amendm. Nice intro. Rhode Island is one of the states on my bucket list to visit and drink a beer while there. Some day...........

dcotom likes this.
  3. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,900) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Hello Amendm, welcome to BA. I share your affection for Brown Ales and wish they were more widely available.

Mothergoose03 and dcotom like this.
  4. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (1,910) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Welcome to another New England name-dropper! :grinning::stuck_out_tongue::wink: Rhode Island is one of three states I haven't been able to tick off my beer list yet. (CT and ND are the others.) Any recommendations on RI and/or CT brews that get distro outside the area?

Cheers!

Mothergoose03 likes this.
  5. Amendm

Amendm Initiate (156) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island

For Rhode Island;
    Foolproof Brewing Company's Raincloud Robust Porter and The Grotto IPA are very good.
    Revival Brewing Company makes a very good Pale Ale called Fanny, named after an elephant from the local zoo. They also make a really solid brown ale called Revival Mercy Brown named after a local vampire legend.

Granola Brown by Black Hog Brewing Co. is the only Connecticut beer that I am sure I have tried and enjoyed.

Thanks for the welcome.

dcotom likes this.
  6. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (1,661) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Welcome and Cheers from CT!

7. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,333) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Welcome to BA! I definitely enjoy a good brown ale.

8. The_Snow_Bird

The_Snow_Bird Meyvn (1,475) May 7, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader