Ale Mary's to open in Royal Oak, MI and you can be a founder

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Ckoz, Mar 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ckoz

Ckoz Aspirant (281) Feb 15, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

I didn't see this posted here so I figured I'd throw it out there.

Looks like it will be next door to Tom's Oyster Bar who will own the business. Sounds pretty cool but a lot of it's success will depend on pricing. It's Downtown Royal Oak so my bets are that its $$$$/$$$$$ but we'll see.

One cool thing is that with a donation you can become a founding member with special privileges. $200 will get you 20% off for life Sun-Thursdays, free Wednesday night sample nights, first crack at new beers, shirt, glass, priority seating and VIP access to tastings before they open for new releases as well.

They had cheaper memberships but they sold out. The only bad part is that it would be silly to get one for yourself and no one else. So your S.O or buddy will have to pony up for their own membership. $400 for me and the wife is a stretch considering how much I already spend on the cellar and drinking as it is.

http://www.alemarysbeer.com/

From the website:

"If you know the Michael Jackson that didn't write Thriller, you will love our place.

To some people beer is a drink, for us it's a lifestyle. Our home refridgerators are filled with beers like Ommegang, Chimay, Short's, Lindeman's, Blue Point, Dark Horse, Bell's, New Belgium, Kuhnhenn, Dragonmead, Founder's, Lost Abbey, Rodenbach, Russian River and some of the best beers in the world.

Ale Mary's will be a "beer community."

howrad likes this.
  2. fishmich

fishmich Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2013 Michigan

sounds cool. if i lived closer it is probably something i would consider.

3. DeviousSpirits

DeviousSpirits Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2009 Michigan

How are their "refridgerators (sic) filled with... Russian River", when RR isn't even distro'd in Michigan?

Kerrie and steebo777 like this.
  4. Abawol01

Abawol01 Initiate (41) Dec 17, 2013 Michigan

Are you insinuating that everyone in Michigan doesn't trade? I quaff at your conjecture sir!

MarKITTY likes this.
  5. wezzul

wezzul Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2009 Michigan

Me and a couple friends have been discussing the merits of giving them $200.... given we have no idea how good their taplist will ever be, the discount doesn't work on weekends, etc, it makes no sense for me. It's very unlikely I'm going to spend over $1000 at one place on weekdays in any reasonable amount of time.

Still excited for it to open though, and look forward to hitting the place up.

Kerrie likes this.
  6. sarcastro

sarcastro Aspirant (298) Sep 20, 2006 Michigan

And Lost Abbey. I think they might be exaggerating a bit seeing as it would be illegal. This isnt Washington DC.

steebo777 likes this.
  7. tommyz

tommyz Initiate (0) May 28, 2007 Michigan

I think it might be just worded very poorly...I think they were trying to say OUR. like me and you, fridge's...not theres...

8. sarcastro

I see now. They are saying the owners home fridges have them. That is what I get for skimming.

9. alfie

alfie Initiate (152) Apr 16, 2013 Michigan

I forsee the usual bar lifecycle of Royal Oak.
    3 months, unknown to all but beer lovers - 20 minutes wait to get a table
    6 months, hipster takeover - 45 min to 1 hour wait to get a table
    1 year, douchebags hear about it and now it takes well over an hour to get a table.
    year 2-3, no longer cool, the bar closes and/or changes style.

nickschwabie, Plead4D and JasonR1975 like this.
  10. Plead4D

Plead4D Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2014 Michigan

No interest in the founders membership without weekend discounts. The rest of the perks, meh.
    For those of us with kids and busy post-work lives these things don't make sense. Drinking at home does.

HOWEVER, I am excited for new options in RO.
    But RO is RO and if the price of a pint is deemed too steep I will simply walk over to Bastone or other options.

11. Holiday1072

Holiday1072 Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2008 Michigan

Just seems odd not knowing if the place will have good service or food. You will be investing in something that is unproven, the taplist may not be what you want, just seems sketchy. If this was say Hopcat or Ashleys, for the most part you know what you're getting.

mike409 and steebo777 like this.
  12. luniz

luniz Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2013 Michigan

why would it be silly to buy one membership just for yourself?

13. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,859) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Some people will buy in CA and bring back. I am out right now.

MarKITTY likes this.
  14. DeviousSpirits

And we all know how loose Royal Oak is with enforcement of laws and such.

15. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,859) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I am just talking about for my personal consumption. Brought a 6 pack of RR beers back in October.

The line above was interpreted by me as home fridges. You must think it is the fridge in the bar, which is different.

MarKITTY likes this.
  16. DeviousSpirits

The phrasing is intentionally vague, and name-dropping breweries to raise visibility is just lazy marketing.

JohnB87 and Holiday1072 like this.
  17. SaisonRichBiere

SaisonRichBiere Savant (969) Mar 23, 2011 Michigan

I'm sure they'll have an amazing selection, but Royal Oak is lame.

Can't wait to see the RO pricing on local brews that you can get within a 15-20 minute ride for cheaper.

18. Brianw508

Brianw508 Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2013 Michigan

The manager is a really knowledgable beer guy. i met him last week. seemed like a good guy, but i think they are being a little tight with cash. i considered a membership too, but how often am i going to want to go out there? plus my wife and i are in the process of selling our home and moving

19. Ckoz

Ckoz Aspirant (281) Feb 15, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

I'll have to go back and check but the space next to Toms Oyster bar is not all that big. That could be another concern.

20. mike409

mike409 Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2012 Michigan

I agree 100% look at clubhouse for example the tap list is big but is usualy made up with beer you can get in bottle or already have had, when they do have new stuff on its wayyyy over priced. I am excited to check it out but cant see driving to royal oak on a regular basis.

21. schepelz

schepelz Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2013 Michigan

From what I understand, which may be completely off....they are using the "space" that was basically part of Tom's to become the new Alemary. Was there for the Royal Oak Bar Crawl in the fall (never do this, worst waste of money), and it was small...

If the space I am thinking of is becoming the new bar, then it will be very limited seating.

22. steebo777

steebo777 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

I'm glad to have another craft beer bar by me but see zero positives in becoming a member. I'll ride my bike up and check it out once they've been open a couple weeks.

23. Kerrie

Kerrie Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2012 Michigan

The bf and I bike to RO all the time, so this will be one more option for us, and I hope they have outdoor seating. We skipped on the memberships, though, because the cost for both of us would have been too much, especially without trying their product first. Also, we went to Tom's Oyster Bar once and it was a bit expensive... but as long as the beer is about average in terms of cost for the area, we'll at least give it a shot.

24. loki993

loki993 Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2009 Michigan

I agree about Clubhouse...they are very expensive.

As for This place....it would be very hard to buy a 200 dollar membership not knowing how expensive its going to be to begin with. I'm sure the place will be cool, but I also fully expect to not spend a lot of time there just like Clubhouse.

25. schepelz

schepelz Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2013 Michigan

I'm sure this is going to be great, but are there any updates on the opening of this place?? I mean...they have been accepting "Founding Memberships" for like 2.5 months now and from what I saw on their Facebook page, they are just starting the renovations...

I dunno...starting to approve of my choice to not drop the $ on that membership..

SerialTicker likes this.
  26. Brianw508

I've heard they're having a hard time coming up with money to open. They are using brass faucets, not stainless steel. I'm very skeptical.

27. JoeStepOner

JoeStepOner Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2013 Michigan

Ill go when they open, though i cant imagine them having anything too special that i couldnt get cheaper elsewhere. Also could probably get the same stuff at One Eyed Betty's for the same price and skip the Royal Oak crowd.

28. steebo777

But then you have to deal with the Ferndale crowd and parking (or lack thereof).

JoeStepOner likes this.
  29. JoeStepOner

well its either quiet hipsters in ferndale or obnoxious bros in royal oak. i dont care who im looking at just who i dont want to hear. parking does suck tho.

JohnB87 likes this.
  30. steebo777

To me they are one in the same crowd now. Hipsters and bros are everywhere now.

JohnB87, Brianw508 and JoeStepOner like this.
  31. Brianw508

The hopcat will be 10x worse in my opinion. I hope I'm wrong

JohnB87 likes this.
  32. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2012 Michigan

Knowing they're the same owners of Terry's Terrace, I have absolutely no interest (or faith) in the place, unfortunately -- and that news makes it even more worrisome, if true.

The problem I have with Terry's Terrace (and I'd think with Ale Mary's when it opens) is that the beer prices are flat out stupid. $3 for a 16oz Bud Light? $9 for 12oz of Brother Benjamin? On average, their beer is $1 more expensive than most places (hey, it adds up), and their food is pretty abysmal as well. I'm honestly shocked they've been open for so many years.

Best bar in Royal Oak = Gusoline Alley.

33. steebo777

Followed closely by Monk's/Bastone IMO. When their saisons are on... they're on!

34. tommyz

tommyz Initiate (0) May 28, 2007 Michigan

Ill have to give a try again..Been to Bastone twice and did not like anything I had..was weird..Monks I just thought was waaaay overpriced...good food though..

35. JoeStepOner

Oh god. same owners as Terrys Terrace... does that mean ill be getting unwashed glassware and funked beer?

JohnB87 likes this.
  36. sarcastro

I think I will wait for it to open and form my opinions then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.