Alesmith BA Kopi Luwak and BA Decadence 2011 Bottle Sale

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by HaveUSeenMyCellar, Feb 14, 2013.

1. besaunders

besaunders Nov 8, 2007 California

BA Decadence 2011 will be on cask next Tuesday. Other than that, I don't think they had any special plans.

2. CAbeerCAbeerCA

CAbeerCAbeerCA Mar 3, 2011 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Thanks for the reminder about this sale, BA. Got me the bottle of BA Decadence I wanted!

3. RaulMatisse

RaulMatisse Jan 8, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Precisely!

4. kotayk

kotayk Feb 22, 2011 California

Ur a scorpion bro
    But in ur defense they r all charity events

5. quetzal013

quetzal013 Feb 16, 2011 California

I got 99 problems but AleSmith ain't 1.

6. Sebowski

Sebowski Jan 11, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

That is less than I give to Alpine a month and I actually drink all those beers.

7. evilc

evilc Jan 27, 2012 California

Thinking about getting some BA Decadence to pour over steaks on the grill.

kojevergas and besaunders like this.
  8. besaunders

Thanks for causing an unplanned monitor cleaning, Bob Hope.

9. Retsinis

Retsinis Sep 25, 2009 California
    Subscriber

How many read this in Sean Connery's voice in their head? Your the man now dawg, or should I say, Highlander.

10. CAbeerCAbeerCA

CAbeerCAbeerCA Mar 3, 2011 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Really? How out of touch is BA that this isn't automatically read in Jay-Z's voice?

Angst, robL, Azrael and 1 other person like this.
  11. masterhoa

masterhoa Jun 15, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I bought these to put in my closet so I can take them out from time to time and admire them and think how lucky I was to get them...Are people really going to drink these?! Nuts...

12. besaunders

Anybody try these yet? I have a BA Kopi in my fridge, and I tried the BA Decadence 2011 at the tasting room yesterday. The cask was quite yummy, the standard version slightly less so but still pretty good. Both were worlds better than the non-aged Decadence 2011, in my opinion.

13. crusian

crusian May 14, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

When i went to pick mine up on Saturday, I was really hoping they would have ONE of them on tap... seems standard for a brewery release, yes?

14. SageO

SageO Jul 13, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Don't assume anything unless they tell you in the newsletter. =p They're pretty good about laying out all the information they have.

CoolEthan likes this.
  15. sdpaul

sdpaul May 2, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I was pretty bummed I couldn't try BA Kopi on tap..when I picked up my bottles

16. tyrsis

tyrsis Mar 13, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

I thought the opposite. I found the BA Dec to be dull and bland on cask. Draft was boozy (in a good way) with the smoke nearly gone, and the maple is just a hint in the background.

17. besaunders

I am dull and bland, so that probably is a good match for me.

18. corby112

corby112 Nov 19, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Four hads and one review so far:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/396/86108/?show_hads=Y

19. Rocket80

Rocket80 Nov 18, 2011 California

We did a "horizontal" at our most recent DTLA bottle share this weekend and had a Speedway, BA Speedway, Kopi and BA Kopi. All 4 were amazing, imo, and only when forced to pick upon my last sips of each did I choose BA Kopi over BA Speedway. I felt it had a hint more of coffee and a hint less of sweetness than the BA Speedway, but it was a nearly impossible choice. Who knows tho, I used to love the really sweet BA stouts, and recently I've been really enjoying BA coffee stouts, so it's just a matter of personal taste in the moment.

sportstsar likes this.
  20. Waldomega

Waldomega Jan 15, 2013 Nevada

i was there yesterday, and they had the BA decadence on tap. didnt try it as im not interested in it, but it was there

21. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

Did they have BA Kopi on tap?

22. Waldomega

Waldomega Jan 15, 2013 Nevada

no. they didnt have any variations of speedway on unfortunately

23. funkel81

funkel81 Jan 23, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

has anyone ever had success dealing with their customer service? if yes, please explain how. thanks

24. Xul

Xul May 18, 2008 California

The first BPT sale (BAD 2010 I think), I was double charged because of a bug with how BPT handled the timeout of the cart - I emailed Abby, explained what happened, and had both a response and refund within 90 minutes. I know a lot of other people have had trouble getting a response, but a polite email with a clear explanation of what happened (including transaction numbers) yielded quick and positive results for me.

25. pmarlowe

pmarlowe Nov 27, 2010 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

I had an identical experience.

26. besaunders

This may have a lot to do with the type of problem being reported. It seems to me that your situations are pretty clear cut.

27. jtmartino

jtmartino Dec 11, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

After about 6 failed phone calls, I had success via email. It just took a long time (6 weeks) for them to do anything about it. Reach out to Abby at abby@alesmith.com

28. funkel81

Beer Trader

yea, i've sent 3 very polite emails to abby and haven't heard a peep back in about 10 days...

29. besaunders

What was your issue, if you don't mind sharing?

30. funkel81

Beer Trader

bought 3 kopi speedways for myself, then had my gf buy her allotment. i used my credit card for both bc she's a broke college student and i'm not...didn't think that would be an issue at first, but after actually reading the terms of sale thought it might be breaking their rules. i was basically emailing alesmith for clarification and told them i was sorry if i had sinned...though still unsure if i had since i havent heard back. they didnt void the 2nd sale, so i dont know

31. nanobrew

nanobrew Dec 31, 2008 California

should have just let it be. I don't think there would have been a problem necessarily, especially if the charges went through. Good luck.

32. funkel81

Beer Trader

yea maybe, but i honestly wasn't trying to break the 'law'...i'll report back if i hear anything

33. unitmonster

unitmonster May 17, 2011 California

They don't read emails, so you're fine.

34. besaunders

On the other hand, they do follow Beer Advocate, so you just funked yourself (pun intended).

Seriously, I wouldn't sweat it. As long as you pick up your bottles, she picks up hers, and you both have your IDs nobody will be the wiser. Even though we all know you got all 6 of those bottles for yourself or for trading.

35. funkel81

Beer Trader

she can be a real beer hog when it comes to barrel aged stouts

domtronzero likes this.
  36. oxcitypauze

oxcitypauze Jan 4, 2013 California

When I went to go pick up my bottles of regular Kopi a few weeks back, they only asked for my ID, and didn't ask to also see the credit card that purchased the bottles. I think you'll be fine so long as your gf brings her ID.

37. pmarlowe

pmarlowe Nov 27, 2010 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

This. They just ask for drivers license.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!