Alesmith Order of the Anvil Club (2020)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Padraig, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Padraig

Padraig Initiate (130) Jan 14, 2013 New York
    Trader

Anyone on here still a member? I feel like there's been a drop in membership this go around. I'm still hyped for all of this regardless.

Ten (10) 750mL member-exclusive barrel-aged bottles (not listed in order of release date)*
    • (1) Hawaiian Retreat Speedway Stout – Imperial Stout Aged in Rye Whiskey Barrels with Coconut, Vanilla Beans, and Coffee
    • (2) Roll The Dais Speedway Stout – Imperial Stout Aged in Bourbon Barrels with Raspberries, Cacao Nibs, Vanilla Beans, and Espresso
    • (1) Oats-Tay – Oatwine Aged in Dickel 16 Year Old Bourbon Barrels with Buckwheat Honey
    • (1) Minister of the State Speedway Stout – Blended Imperial Stout Aged in Premier Bourbon Barrels with Coffee
    • (1) Lost Prophet: Cocomon Edition – Imperial Stout Aged in Maple Syrup Barrels with Coconut and Cinnamon
    • (1) Wild Anvil: Apricot, Vanilla, & Lemon Zest – Wild Ale Aged in American Oak Barrels with Apricots, Vanilla Beans, and Lemon Zest
    • (2) Heavy Forge: Vanilla Noice – Imperial Stout Aged in Rye Whiskey Barrels with Vanilla Beans
    • (1) Noble Empire: Choco Raisin ‘Nut Edition – Porter Aged in Maple Syrup Barrels with Cacao Nibs, Raisins, and Walnuts

#1 Padraig, Jan 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    MonkeyBread likes this.
  2. SDReaper

SDReaper Defender (656) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

I dropped mine. I needed to cut back and this one was one of the casualties. I live really close so I don't believe it will be that much of a loss.

But this thread also reminds me that I need to check with a few of my out of state friends and see if they are still members since I was their proxy. Without getting the emails about releases, I will need them to let me know what bottles they ordered so I can pick up in a timely manner.

3. Padraig

Trader

Do they make the club stuff available to non-members? I thought it was all kept back for the OTA exclusive taps?

4. jamshard2mash

jamshard2mash Initiate (97) May 4, 2017 California
    Trader

Lotza alesmith members drop eh? Not a member, but from the outside looking in it's nice to see something other than a full list of speedway variants. That oatwine in dickel barrels looks interesting

MonkeyBread likes this.
  5. wilymobastardo

wilymobastardo Initiate (199) Jan 12, 2015 California
    Trader

They host enough events that most of the member stuff ends up on tap at one time or another.

I'll probably do the half year membership again, if they offer it.

6. SDReaper

Trader

They have in the past after like a week or so of it being on only for members. But if they keep it more exclusive, I still have a few other friends in the membership so I can always ask them for a pour.

Padraig likes this.
  7. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Devotee (457) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

I'm a member. I enjoyed the beer last year, and I appreciate the ability to have everything shipped to LA. They also seem very willing to listen and try to improve certain aspects of the membership and that's a big plus for me.

8. johnInLA

johnInLA Champion (868) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Still a member too.

The club is a bit on the pricey side, especially if you are an out of towner and don't get to enjoy the local benefits ( party's, glowers fills, etc ).. But I do enjoy the member beers. Several bottles were a hit at various shares I attended throughout the year. Being the only one in the club amongst my local share groups is a plus, as its often hard to find beers these guys haven't tried.

Shipping to LA is a must for me. I just don't get down to San Diego that often these days.

Anyway, looking forward to this year. Glad to see Islander Joy making a return.

BTW: For completeness, here is the list of 2020 Premium Reserve Bottles:
    • Islander Joy
    • Guardian of the State
    • Valley Forge: Hipster's Wrath

drewone, Padraig and SDReaper like this.
  9. johnInLA

Society Trader

Looks like there is a Horus collab coming out in mid Feb and a BBA version later in the year.

"In a mash mix of our Speedway recipe & Horus' mythical Goshawk, we're pulling 2 variants of an Imperial Stout out of our forge, and they're packing huge flavors that you've never been treated to quite like this before.⁠
    .⁠
    First, a limited part of this batch will meet the finest @dragonflycoffee Geisha coffee in the known universe -- La Esmeralda Jaramillo Special Reserve to be exact. This ultra rare, ultra premium, ultra decadent coffee bean can only be found on a single, isolated farm in Panama, and it scored a record-high 97 rating from the Coffee Review.⁠
    .⁠
    Aromatic notes of crisp fruit, zest, and fresh juniper from the beans jump at your nose to blend with the heavenly smooth classic flavors like cocoa and toasty caramel malt that Speedway fans already know + love
    .⁠"

Padraig likes this.
  10. Padraig

Trader

Confirmed the Order gets first run at it in case anyone hadn’t seen it on the FB group. Not that it’ll be tearing up the trade forums or anything.

SDReaper likes this.
  11. SDReaper

Trader

Not club related, but Alesmith related...

https://www.facebook.com/events/655401658624063/

Feb 13th (Thursday, day before Valentine's Day), beer and Cheesesmith pairing. $50 (and fees) for 5 4oz pours and guided 5 cheeses from Peter.

It was about $110 and change for a pair of tickets.

Edit: Give your special someone the gift of beer and cheese, and then later....farts.

12. Padraig

Trader

Same story here. This year myself and two others from a loose tasting group spilt the membership. I’ve been in it since the start and brought plenty of bottles along to the shares in the first two years. They always went down well.

johnInLA and FrogOut69 like this.
  13. ryno09

ryno09 Aspirant (211) May 1, 2010 California

Was great to have a pint of X yesterday. The Brett Grisette is good too.

gregoryG and johnInLA like this.
  14. SDReaper

Trader

Awww damn, I missed the cheese meeting didn't I?

15. ryno09

ryno09 Aspirant (211) May 1, 2010 California

Yes. Sadly I'm only at AleSmith these days for the cheese meeting or dropping off bottles for competition.

16. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Devotee (425) May 2, 2016 California
    Society Trader

I'm bummed there's no public releases of the barrel aged stuff to the same degree historically.

Xul likes this.
  17. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Savant (919) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Society Trader

From the outside looking in, it sure looks like their club backfired in the sense that no one outside the club seems to talk about them much anymore. I never hear about any of their releases anymore. It may be a boon for them in every other sense (who knows?) but from a "getting their name out there" sense, it seems to have had the opposite effect.

18. dcbullet

dcbullet Initiate (131) Dec 18, 2013 California

I agree. Although I'm saturated with beer clubs and Alesmith doesn't quite make the cut, I would absolutely be a regular buyer of the particular beers I liked in the past if they sold them like they used to.

19. SDReaper

Trader

Saturday morning, cabot location, parking lot filled with day laborers brought over from home depot and uhaul to help increase allocations for BASS'09. #nvr5get

20. Xul

Xul Crusader (795) May 18, 2008 California

It was a Wednesday, not a Saturday. #yousaidyou'dneverforget

riko, anvindr, Brewzer1010 and 3 others like this.
  21. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Devotee (425) May 2, 2016 California
    Society Trader

Opened last side by side of BAVSS & RBAVSS late last year, just really surprised it has been this long without another iteration (or at least me hearing/being able to buy).

22. SDReaper

Trader

sonofab....I guess it was so traumatic that I did partially forget. Time to turn in my alesmith fanboy card. =(

ryno09 and Xul like this.
  23. Padraig

Trader

Speaking of which they’re now saying that Horus collab is only around 150 bottles and unlikely to make it to general sale once the Order have had a run at it.

FrogOut69 likes this.
  24. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Savant (919) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Wait...Horus or 3 Chiefs? (lol)

Speaking of which, is 3C still a thing? Haven't heard anything out of them recently. (Or am I just not paying attention?)

25. Padraig

Trader

Horus. (see above).

26. GrimmGrinninGhost

GrimmGrinninGhost Initiate (21) Dec 27, 2010 Utah

Howdy. I'm going to be out visiting Miramar next week. Definitely planning to check out alesmith. Any recommendations for other nearby places or bottle shops to check out?

27. SDReaper

Trader

Mikkeller is a couple blocks away, then the Miralani district (conveniently located at miralani / camino ruiz) has Thunderhawk, Lost Cause, and Serpentine.

28. GrimmGrinninGhost

GrimmGrinninGhost Initiate (21) Dec 27, 2010 Utah

Thanks! Didn't realize mikkeller was nearby. I'll have to Google the other three. Appreciate the tips!

29. JayhawkJeep

JayhawkJeep Initiate (28) Feb 7, 2015 California
    Trader

Fun fact. Mikkeller is in the old alesmith spot

SoCalBeerIdiot likes this.
  30. johnInLA

Society Trader

Members, check your email. The following are up, as of 11:00 AM
    • Hawaiian Retreat Speedway
    • Islander Joy Speedway
    • Speed Hawk - Horus Collab ( 200 bottles available )
    • Saison del Dragon
    • Confectionary Delight Speedway
    • BA old Numbskull (2020)
    • Subline Mexican Lager

31. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Devotee (457) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

Nice drop today.

johnInLA likes this.
  32. iamthecarlos

iamthecarlos Initiate (150) Jan 2, 2015 California
    Trader

Curious about that Horus collab... anyone try it yet? Any mention of it being on tap?

I love them, but they are up there with Lost Abbey in terms of pricing. I split a membership this year, don’t think I can afford it next year. But the beer is damn good. If I was SD local, I probably wouldn’t have renewed, but since I’m in LA and the beers are all pretty great, it’s keeping me around.

33. brewmastercat

brewmastercat Initiate (179) Sep 29, 2014 California
    Trader

Anyone know if those Horus bottles are hitting the general public tomorrow? Sounds like confectionary delight will be for sale in 2 pack 375mls.

34. johnInLA

Society Trader

Alesmith/Horus bottles!

I'll be very disappointed in my fellow members if they allowed this through to the public sale, and maybe Alesmith for no Wish list bottles (tongue in check)..

My one bottle is already promised to a share. But I did get an extra Islander Joy. :slight_smile:

Good luck @brewmastercat, if it bleeds through I hope you get a bottle.

FrogOut69 likes this.
  35. sponger

sponger Initiate (189) Mar 30, 2011 California
    Trader

Is speedhawk on tap?

36. Canichangethislater

Canichangethislater Initiate (16) Feb 10, 2019 California
    Trader

Yup, they announced it on their Instagram page that it will be on tap.

37. King_Jaffe_Joffer9

King_Jaffe_Joffer9 Initiate (60) Jun 11, 2015 California

38. SDReaper

Trader

Meh....very fruity speedway due to the coffee. I had a sip and passed on the rest.

FrogOut69 and iamthecarlos like this.