Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

AleSmith Speedway Stout: What year?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Curt1, Aug 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Curt1

Curt1 Nov 15, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

As the title says, I'm not sure how to tell what year my AleSmith Speedway Stout is. There isn't any dates on the bottle or label. I looks as though bottles 2007 is a green bottle and after 2009 is like the bottle picture below. Can any one help?

My looks identical to this bottle.

2. bvdubn

bvdubn Dec 1, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I do not believe that there is anyway to tell on the bottle. I am not positive but I do think the cases have dates on them but that doesn't help you if you purchased one bottle from a bottle shop. It is a year round beer so just assume that unless it was covered in dust that the bottle is from within a few months of your purchase.
  3. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Apr 23, 2011 Kentucky

Every bottle of Alesmith Speedway Stout I have ever seen looks exactly like your picture. Like the previous poster, I am also unaware of any way of dating a bottle. When I buy it, I always mark the date I bought it on the bottle.

I have no idea what age does to it. I am aging a couple bottles of it now (just to try it), but I can state without hesitation that Speedway Stout is simply outstanding when fresh. Ordinarily, I'd never age a coffee stout, but this one is so good I just had to try it.
  4. MrDanno96

MrDanno96 Aug 26, 2009 Ohio

I echo the above posters—as far as I know, there is nothing on Speedway Stout bottles indicating the bottling year. I wish more breweries would start doing this—especially on beers that have aging potential. You would never see a quality red wine without a year on it. Since many craft beers can be aged just like wines more craft brewers should start making the bottling date (or at least the year) more apparent.
  5. westcoastbeerlvr

westcoastbeerlvr Oct 19, 2010 California

Older bottles had a more colorful label. Can't remember what exactly it looked like but I remember and orange circle with some red on it. They also had a much better (thicker) mouthfeel than the current batches, imo.
  6. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Disagree completely on this. Especially with a coffee stout. But to each, his own.
    Eriktheipaman likes this.
  7. bluewolf17

bluewolf17 Mar 3, 2013 Maryland
    Beer Trader

I'm in the same predicament as the OP. I have two bottles of this bad boy and the front and back are obviously different. At the bottom of the front label, one of my bottles reads "Imperial Stout With Ryan Bros. Coffee Beans" and at the top reads just "AleSmith". The other bottle has just this written on the bottom, "Imperial Stout With Coffee" and on the top it says "AleSmith Brewing Company." This has been driving me crazy and no amount of research has helped me solve this problem. Anyone?
  8. Fish

Fish Dec 19, 2012 Oregon

I could swear that the newest batch had a date on the bottle. I'll check when I get home. But that won't help with dating older bottles...
    Eriktheipaman likes this.
  9. bluewolf17

Beer Trader

Lol I appreciate the response regardless. I was just on their website and I clicked "year-round bottles." The picture that comes up when you click the Speedway Stout is the first one I described in my original post. Makes me think the other one is at least a 2011 (since I picked these up in 2012).. The foil color is also different if anyone knows what that means.
  10. Fish

Fish Dec 19, 2012 Oregon

I had Silver foil dated (from the case) between 2011 and 2012. The latest ones I've seen have had a dark grey foil and I want to say those were dates ranging from 2012 to 2013. What color is the foil?
  11. bluewolf17

Beer Trader

One of each. You nailed it. One is silver foil and the other is dark green/grayish.
  12. podunkparte

podunkparte Nov 14, 2009 Washington

If you have a silver foil non-botle dated Speedway, you're not going to be able to get any specific date.

I will say though that Speedway ages magnificently. I had a ~1 year old bottle last year that was ridiculously good. I say pop that sucker and enjoy. Luckily for you it's a year round beer and not expensive at all.
    bluewolf17 likes this.
  13. Fish

Fish Dec 19, 2012 Oregon

FWIW, The last bottles of Speedway I bought have a date stamped on the bottle. April 2013. Perhaps they'll be dated from here on out.
  14. weaksauce

weaksauce Sep 2, 2010 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I opened a 2011 recently that said with Ryan brothers coffee. I would say that one is 2011 / 2012 and the other gray one is 2012.
    bluewolf17 likes this.
  15. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Jan 20, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

I bought one in june that had a bottle date on it.
  16. sukwonee

sukwonee Dec 13, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

I am having a bottle about 2 years old. It's delicious. More chocolate forward. Coffee and hops died down a lot and chocolate and sweet malt come out more.
  17. WassailWilly

WassailWilly Sep 8, 2007 New York

Speedway Stout is THE shit...
    Dont care what year.. AMAZING always
  18. striker2160

striker2160 May 5, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I have a 2009 BA speedway that I got in a trade. I can hardly contain my excitement.
  19. OldPenguinHunter

OldPenguinHunter Oct 13, 2010 California

I thought they started laser etching the bottles a few years back, if it doesn't have any etched date, then it is from before then...
  20. pjkelley82

pjkelley82 May 23, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Where I s the laer etching?

I have a bottle with silver foil and with the grey foil. Hope there not both 2012...
  21. ejeffer11

ejeffer11 Feb 15, 2008 New York
    Beer Trader

one of the best aged beers i have ever had is a speedway stout that was in my basement for 4 years. i prefer it with age over fresh for sure.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!