Alexandra Nowell of Three Weavers Brewing Company on Glitter Beer and Growing Pains

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Jul 17, 2018.

1. BeerAdvocate

BeerAdvocate Founders (17,671) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts

#1 BeerAdvocate, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2018
  2. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Crusader (763) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

I’m just glad that there’s still a brewer around with a passion for styles like kölsch and ESB!
    Glitter in beer, however, although it was teased but not actually referenced in the article...can go straight to hell.

3. Todd

Todd Founder (5,569) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

It's mentioned briefly in the intro. They we're pouring a glitter beer at our Extreme Beer Fest this past December in Los Angeles, where it definitely created a buzz.

JohnnyChicago likes this.
  4. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (7,232) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

As someone with a young daughter, I am with you - glitter is evil.

5. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,299) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

As Todd already posted over in the "Pacific" forum, Three Weavers just "joined" (aka "sold out to" ?) Canarchy - parent company of Oskar Blues Brewery, Perrin Brewing Company, Cigar City Brewing, Squatters Craft Beer & Wasatch Brewery, and Deep Ellum Brewing.

Three Weavers Joins the CANarchy Craft Brewery Collective

kemoarps likes this.
  6. rgordon

rgordon Champion (825) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Hey, it's L.A. I remember some German (I believe) vintner who actually put gold into one of his bottlings. People bought all of it quickly....

7. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Crusader (748) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Great sentiment, this:

"The growing pains can’t be on quality.”

However, this next bit is bullshit:

Nowell doesn’t have to look far to see the difference between craft beer and independent craft beer. California has been a magnet for corporate investment in craft, and Nowell sees the aftereffects every day. “There are things they can do with marketing and price points we can’t do,” she says. “We deal with unfair market practices every day.”

For the following reason:

Would certainly love to taste those beers just to see how traditional that they are. Something about their descriptions make me think "New World interpretations" and not "Old World recipes". I could easily be wrong and just reading into that too much.

Although the ESB and the Kolsch sound enticing, their brewery seems to be mostly about hop-forward beers, like IPAs and IPLs, along with that glitter abomination.

NeroFiddled likes this.
  8. Todd

Staff

Three Weavers is one of my local breweries. I haven't had the ESB yet, but the Kölsch (something like 40% of their sales volume) is legit and the glitter beer thing is exaggerated.

On tap right now: http://www.threeweavers.la/threeweaversbeerontap/
    • Kölsch
    • Session IPA
    • West Coast IPA
    • ESB
    • Imperial Stout
    • Brut IPA
    • Imperial Porter with vanilla and lactose
    • Two Saisons
    • Strong Pale Ale
    • Double IPA
    • Two IPAs
    • Black Lager
    • London-style Porter
    • Coffee Stout
    • Gose with Meyer lemons
    • Rice Ale
    • Oatmeal Milk Stout on nitro
    So no, the brewery isn't mostly about IPAs and IPLs.

9. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

Fair enough.

I count 7 pale ales or IPAs of the 16 beers on tap, and that's not counting the ESB. Just sayin'.

10. Todd

Staff

That's 7 out of 19 on tap, so..."their brewery seems to be mostly about hop-forward beers, like IPAs and IPLs, along with that glitter abomination" is not an accurate description.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  11. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

Indeed it is. I miscounted. So instead of 50%, hoppy beers are only about 40% of their taps.

pjeagles likes this.
  12. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Crusader (763) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

Sounds like the perfect thing to pair with some Dodgers playoff baseball!
    ...before leaving early because LA is down a run in the 6th and you really want to beat the traffic...:stuck_out_tongue:

13. pro100

pro100 Initiate (81) Oct 12, 2014 California

This is my local brewery as well. I just wish they weren't so anti-haze

14. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,854) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

I must admit prejudice on this point because I have a parental distaste for glitter.

Urk1127 likes this.
  15. Todd

Staff

There are plenty of hazies in the area. It's refreshing to see a brewery not chase the trend.

Mikexw, kemoarps, Urk1127 and 2 others like this.
  16. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

A truer thing has never been said. I know next to nothing about this brewery, but you can make excellent hop forward beer without it looking like fruit juice.

kemoarps and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  17. pro100

pro100 Initiate (81) Oct 12, 2014 California

I think haze is a staple now. Its way beyond a trend imo

2ellas likes this.
  18. Todd

Staff

I'll have to strongly disagree with you there. NEIPA is not a staple beer style (in theory, no one style is a staple), and thousands of breweries and billions of beer consumers are doing just fine without the style.

Let's allow breweries to be what they want to be, brew what they want to brew, and appreciate them for what they are.

kemoarps and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  19. callmemickey

callmemickey Meyvn (1,163) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania

While "mentioned briefly in the intro" it sure is a click-bait title ("Alexandra Nowell of Three Weavers Brewing Company on Glitter Beer and Growing Pains") given that Nowell never talks about Glitter Beer...

rodbeermunch, kemoarps and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  20. Todd

Staff

Paging @Keene.

21. Keene

Keene Editorial Director (784) Sep 11, 2009 Washington
    Staff

Sure, we chose a headline that would entice people to read the article. But Nowell is closely associated with glitter beer because in 2015 she created one of the first (if not the first) examples, Mel's Sparkle Pony. Headline notwithstanding, I do hope you enjoyed the rest of the piece.

dcotom, Rebecca and Todd like this.
  22. Jason

Jason Founder (8,103) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff

"Haze" will eventually, in some cases already has, become a problem for breweries that package and expect their product to fly off the shelf or lines to be at their brewery for the foreseeable future. Nearly all of the breweries that produce haze bombs never explain what he haze is or worse with some breweries ... what the big chucks of sediment are at the bottom of the can. Shelf-life for most of these beers is ok to horrible, you have to wonder what percentage of small breweries are getting each batch properly tested in a lab for O2 levels and other issues that will eventually spoil the beer. With that said ... there are scores of breweries around the county that produce great haze bombs, sell their beer quick enough not to have to worry about any of this. Should be interesting to see how this all pans out within the next 2-3 years.

Urk1127 likes this.
  23. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (1,919) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Trader

I enjoyed the article, but now I want some glitter beer. Seriously. Paired with a unicorn burger. (Could this be the next thing? I sincerely hope so.)

Todd likes this.
  24. Keene

Keene Editorial Director (784) Sep 11, 2009 Washington
    Staff

Here's your burger recipe. Best of luck tracking down that glitter beer!

dcotom and Todd like this.
  25. dcotom

Premium Trader

Now that's information I can use!
    I'm thinking there has to be more to this than just stirring a spoonful of that edible glitter into a glass of beer. How do you keep it in suspension so that it doesn't settle like the stuff in a snow globe or float like grated nutmeg in a cup of cocoa? There's some science to this, for sure. I find it fascinating.

Coming soon to a WBAYDN near you. Stay tuned! :wink:

26. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Crusader (743) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Suspension:

Origin:

Happy Hunting:

Glitter beer — seriously! How, and why, U.S. breweries are creating this spectacle

dcotom likes this.
  27. dcotom

Premium Trader

28. rodbeermunch

rodbeermunch Poo-Bah (4,089) Nov 26, 2015 Nevada

She is the "it" girl in beer right now. Last summer on the cover of that LA beer newspaper. Now this article and the Malt Couture Don't Drink Beer podcast is making it big time on the cutting edge! Get Ubiquitous!

dcotom likes this.